2013 V Star Venture

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liptoss

Reaction score
OK, so I caved and bought another bike! I sat on a 2013 Gold Wing yesterday with mama on the back. Yes it is quite the work and probably a super ride I'm certain.
I ended up buying a used 2013 V Star Venture from an only owner.
My choice in my final decision came down to a few simple things. First, when looking at the motorcycle, you know it's a motorcycle. You can SEE the motor and it sounds like a motorcycle. In fact, if you want it to sound "MORE" like a motorcycle, you add a noisy pipe on it. I'm not certain there are any aftermarket pipes for a Gold Wing.
Secondly, I'm familiar with the Gen 1 motor and the drivetrain in the Venture. It calms me to hear a similarity in the sound and noises it makes. (again, sounds like a motorcycle)
Lastly, it has more older technology on board than many other touring bikes that "I" can fix myself. Too many others are stacked to the arse in CAN bus than you can shake a stick at.
SO...
Just wanted to check if any other Gen 1 VMax member(s) also bought one of these touring bikes?
YEP, I know it's top heavy, but I'm wondering about any "secrets" how you've dealt with this. I'm also wondering if there are any other concerns or issues I might need to be aware of. Carbs plugging up, weak electrical connections etc.
I have an '06 Gen1 Max, and WILL ALWAYS KEEP THIS RDIE!

Thanks y'all.

I bought a Venture last fall for the same reason, I like the V4, I like the additional legroom over the Goldwing and I find it more comfortable. I wont bash Honda though, they make a damn fine machine, car or bike, it just wasn't for me. This is going to be my first year touring the Venture. On the way home with it I could feel that it was no slouch, plenty of pep and surprisingly good agility for an old turd.

Mine is an 89 Gen1 Venture so different but it has the same top heavy reputation. I can feel that the CG is up there but it really doesn't pose a problem and it doesn't seem to interfere with performance. I spent some time over at Ventureriders forum before actually buying and it's a great forum, much like this one. A lot of what we learn on the Vmax carries over.
Since buying mine I have added
R6 brakes, delinked, braided lines
COPs and an Ignitek w/MAP sensor
Fresh steering head bearings
Progressives, new OEM seals and bushings.
New Elite 3s
Carbs gone through, new diaphragms, adjusted and synched.
NGK iridiums and oil/filter.

I've been doing it all over the winter and not ridden it at all with any of these mods. I'm itching. Gotta clean up the calipers and dump some new pads on, then Its on the road.

There is a fair amount of overlap with Vmax and Venture Owners. I see it on both sides. Like you, I would never sell my max, it's just to much fun, awesome Harley killer but I love to do long trips and it's just not cut out for that. There are a couple guys running around on this site and the other that have Gen1 Ventures with Vmax heads/cams/intakes/vboost.

There is a mod for throwing on Road King pipes on the Ventures, it lets more music through and they are cheap to buy. I'm going to leave mine stealthy for now but I'm doing some measuring and comparing, I would like to figure out a 4 into one system for it looks like it will take some doing.

Attachments

• venture_left.jpg
    venture_left.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 14
The Royale star venture and the gen 1 venture(83-88) are 2 totally different machines.Yes,they are both v-4s but other than that they are a lot different.Performance and engine wise the 83-88 Ventures are very similar to gen1 vmax.The Royale stars venture is not too much in performance compared to the gen 1 venture.The gen 1 venture is more on par with the 1800 gold wing when it comes to prformance.A few years ago I had a 88 venture at the same time my dad had a 1800 wing.From 0-100 they were real close.I now have a 95 vmax and it is scary that the vmax and venture engine even sounds the same and has the same wine .The venture wine if I remember right was a 55 and the vmax is about 45-50.

I picked up a 2000 venture last fall just for some comfort for 2 up riding . I still need to do some work to it but should be fun for what it is (a couch with storage)...:biglaugh:

Back