Cdi icu unit confusion for late gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevlar_bass

Reaction score
I've blown the unit, moisture inside it. Bur when I removed it it is the yellow sticker 85-89
Now I'm confused as the bike is a 1998 so it should be the newer icu in.
It looks like it's a spare.

My question is should the old Cdi run in a 1998 bike but make it run a bit rough? Or is my system older than I think it is?.

Also looking through receipts it seems like the guy's that have had it before me have had it in for carb cleaning God knows how many times.

If one of you wizards can help me here I'll be installing the dyna 3000 Cdi

Cheers
Kev

Maybe someone can tell you if the 85-90 pick up coil connector/wire colors are different than 90-07? I would think that would be an easy way to ID what electrical system you are running.

Did you check the steering stem to see if there is a date code or do a VIN lookup to verify the year?

Take a picture of the pickup connection under the driver seat just behind the battery. 90-07 will be an orange and black two wire. 85-89 will be 5 wire (in a 6 wire plug). And pics of your CDI would be great too.

So that appears to be, as Sean said, 5 wires in a 6 wire molex nylon M-F plug. The circuit board looks fried from that overheating. Maybe time to get an Ignitech from Sean.

Can you get a picture of the vin on the steering neck that also shows the production date? Also maybe a picture of the whole bike? For sure that's got an 85-89 CDI box, pickup coil and even the starter relay. Either someone did a complete harness swap (along with the other parts required i'm sure) or the bike is not the year you think it is (may have been misrepresented to you).

I've got the dyna 3000's available but pretty limited on the Ignitech units for the moment.

Can you get a picture of the vin on the steering neck that also shows the production date? Also maybe a picture of the whole bike? For sure that's got an 85-89 CDI box, pickup coil and even the starter relay. Either someone did a complete harness swap (along with the other parts required i'm sure) or the bike is not the year you think it is (may have been misrepresented to you).

I've got the dyna 3000's available but pretty limited on the Ignitech units for the moment.

The number on frame and engine is 3uf-008195 there's a sticker on the ftame reads 3uf4-010

So it's the old ignition I need or a dyna 3000

The help is much appreciated it helps a lot to know what your working with...

Look at that same sticker on the neck. You're looking for the month/year which will be something like 07/98 (Sept 97 which is a 98 model) or even 02/89 (Feb 89 which is an 89 model)

I also have discovered that the CDi on my 1986 model is not working. So, if a '85-'89 CDi won't work on a later model, I assume a later model CDi also won't work on an earlier '85-'89 ?
I am looking for a replacement at the moment, so I will have to search specifically for a CDi from another earlier model, right?
Parts here are as rare as 'hens teeth'. Did send 'one2dmax' a P.M. inquiring about availability or a suitable alternative, that could be shipped.

I also have discovered that the CDi on my 1986 model is not working. So, if a '85-'89 CDi won't work on a later model, I assume a later model CDi also won't work on an earlier '85-'89 ?
I am looking for a replacement at the moment, so I will have to search specifically for a CDi from another earlier model, right?
Parts here are as rare as 'hens teeth'. Did send 'one2dmax' a P.M. inquiring about availability or a suitable alternative, that could be shipped.

if anyone has one Sean would.

Correct. Early/Late CDI boxes do not interchange.

Latest posts

Back