Front Left cylinder not hitting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT Pockets

Reaction score
Hello all,

I finally had time this evening to give my '85 a good wash and make it ready for the riding season. After talking to her nicely, she finally fired up. Things didn't sound quite right and after feeling all of the headers, I found the front left didn't want to put blisters on my fingers, as a matter of fact I can easily hold my hand on it. Pulled the plug and it looks lean but I did verify that it is sparking. I'm getting a pop after I crack the throttle when it starts to come back to an idle. I removed the air box and cleaner to look inside the carbs and it looks to me that the front left is not getting the fuel the rest of them are at idle. I noticed too that the motor did not like running without the air box installed and was easily stalled. From what I've gleaned from this very informational site is that a Shotgun is in order, but I'd like to have you folks chime in to see if I'm missing something.

I owe you guys pics of the bike too. They are coming as soon as I can get to the bottom of this current dilemma.

MT Pockets

You can try it, but I expect you'll need to remove the carbs and do a real cleaning on them. Look in the 'how-to's'.

Hello all,

I finally had time this evening to give my '85 a good wash and make it ready for the riding season. After talking to her nicely, she finally fired up. Things didn't sound quite right and after feeling all of the headers, I found the front left didn't want to put blisters on my fingers, as a matter of fact I can easily hold my hand on it. Pulled the plug and it looks lean but I did verify that it is sparking. I'm getting a pop after I crack the throttle when it starts to come back to an idle. I removed the air box and cleaner to look inside the carbs and it looks to me that the front left is not getting the fuel the rest of them are at idle. I noticed too that the motor did not like running without the air box installed and was easily stalled. From what I've gleaned from this very informational site is that a Shotgun is in order, but I'd like to have you folks chime in to see if I'm missing something.

I owe you guys pics of the bike too. They are coming as soon as I can get to the bottom of this current dilemma.

MT Pockets

The shotgun helps a lot.

If the cylinder fire once the revs are raised, say 2K and above, then that could be indicative of a plugged idle jet.
Was it OK before you stopped riding it?

One other thought occurred in that you say 'give my '85 a good wash'.
It could be that some water has got into the HT system which allows it to track.

Have you tried starting it have once it stood overnight?

If you have a spare plug pull the cap off the offending cylinder and with the spare plug in the cap (make sure it is grounded) check to see if you have a good spark.

If no then investigate the HT system, if yes idle system.

Also, the Vmax does NOT like to run without an airbox. It will allow too much air into the engine. The airbox has very specific size holes. You can let it idle, perhaps rev it up, but it wont like it if you try to ride it without an airbox (unless other mods are done).

Do the shotgun and run some seafoam thru a tank 1oz per gallon Also whats the four numbers in your vin and are you listed on the oldest survivors page ?

+1 on the seafoam now, and on a regular preventive schedule. After draining the bowls I like to put a big shot of carb. cleaner in each carb. vent to mix with the gas. It's the only way to get to the pilot without pulling the rack. If a pilot jet is completely plugged, not much else to do but stick something in it to clear it.

Just before I put it away last year it was acting the same. I didn't verify the cold header pipe though. After spending some time this winter reading through the many posts on here is when I really got to thinking and checking things over. I hope to get checking and cleaning and shotgunning and the list goes on starting tonight. Work gets in the way of fun stuff too often.

Thanks everyone!

I rode mine around a whole day, including whooping ass on a Fat Boy, on 3 cyl. When I pulled it apart I found one of the COP harnesses had a crimp that let go. I knew I was down on power some but had no idea it was only hitting on 3. I love Seafoam and use an oz or two in every other tank, or anytime I get stuck putting ethanol in. Maybe you can Shotgun just the one suspect carb if the HT system turns out ok.

I can ignite the tire doing a hole shot from a stop sign and it will pull hard through all of the gears at wide open throttle. When I am at idle, being have, and not getting after it is when I'm having the most trouble. Does this help?

I have verified that I'm getting spark to the plug. Forgive my ignorance but what is HT system?

MT

HT = High tension.

This is the voltage from the output side of the coil which is transmitted to the spark plugs via the HT leads and plug caps.

Latest posts

Back