Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scratch

Reaction score
Howdy Boys, new guy here. Most call me scratch on the internet.
I am going to need some help, so I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully make some friends. I am very surprised at the lack of on-line resources on the max, given the amount of time it has been in production.

Anyway, I have been a fan of the max since the first time I saw one, way back in high school. When I lived in Texas, I even chased a guy on a max down to try to get him to sell it to me or at least ask if he knew of one for sale.
Now I live in Tokyo and am finally a max owner. The story behind the acquisition is worth telling I suppose.
Last year over beers, the manager of my race team asked me why I don?t ride a street bike. I told him it was too dangerous to ride motorcycles on the street; particularly for me. I have a hard time separating the track from the street, especially on a sport bike. I had even tried buying street versions of my bikes, but invariably they would end up being tuned and hopped up and back I would go to my race habits. I told him that I should try it on a cruiser and mentioned my admiration of the max.
A year or so later, the manager guy, who also owns a bike shop, calls me up and asks me to come by his shop. A few hours later I rode out on a new to me 92 max. I gave him some old race parts off of my R1 in exchange. A good deal I would say, particularly since all the mods I would have done to the max had already been completed. I am flattered that he remembered that conversation.

I catch a lot of crap from my friends that know me from racing, a few Hardly or cruiser jokes but, I am happy with it. It handles pretty well for being such a fat pig. I guess the best thing I could say about the handling is that it is quirky.
It is slow compared to the racers, and I can?t imagine that v-boost thing coming on mid corner.

Again I couldn?t be happier. I think it will be a long friendship.

scratch

Re: Introduction

Welcome, glad to have you join us here. There are many good places to get info on the Vmax ranging from INGO's page to our very own Vmax owners association. I hope that this and the other sites make you feel at home and can provide any and all help that you need!

David

Thanks for the welcome David.

I joined the VMOA tech list and have read most the archive. Found the outlaw max site which has been helpful.
I guess my point was that when I've joined other street bike forums (CBR / R1) they have tens of thousands of members. Anything you can think of had been done by at least a few of them.

Glad to be here, hope to contribute to the community.

scratch

Welcome scratch. We are a new site, so we are trying to increase membership. Please tell as many Vmaxers as you can about the place. Stick around, hopefully the site will grow.

Welcome aboard namasfl

Always good to see another member from the sunny state of Florida. Pull up a chair and join the rest of the group in discussing whatever is on your mind or just check us out 'till you're comfy and settled in.:th_drink:

Re: Welcome aboard namasfl

Thanks guys- got an '06 Vmax back in August- already have 6000 miles. I can't seem to get off the damn thing. A few weeks ago I went to Key West from Palm Beach County, had a lemonade, turned around and rode back.

Re: Welcome aboard namasfl

namasfl said:
Thanks guys- got an '06 Vmax back in August- already have 6000 miles. I can't seem to get off the damn thing. A few weeks ago I went to Key West from Palm Beach County, had a lemonade, turned around and rode back.
There seems to be something hypnotic about the Max and it's got us all under its spell. As long as you're still willing to go home after a ride, you're doing just fine.

Hello everyone,

New guy here, just wanted to say hi. I'm reading through everything I can find on the V-Max. I'm hoping to get one in the near future. Preferably a 1985.

I'm located in NC, and I was in the Marine Corps, and now I am a civilian working for the Marine Corps. I ride as often as I get a chance, and have always been crazy about the V-Max, so I think I'll just have to buy one.

Is there a thread or sticky that has all the changes through the years around? Like I said, I'm hoping to land a 1985, but I may go as far as 2007 if need be. So, any suggestions are welcome.

:popcom00:

Re: Newbie

I wouldn't get anything older than a '96. They had improved brakes, forks, charging system, and ignition system. Beware older bikes with low miles, this bike needs to be ridden often....otherwise it degrades quickly. FOr info on the differences over the years, try here: http://www.vmaxchat.com/. Click on Tips and then Model history. Good luck in the pursuit of YOUR vmax!

I agree, I have had my 06 for 6 months now. And everything I've read and seen in the chats I would recommend a 93 or up.
Also you may want to consider finding a used with some of the mods already done. One thing I learned is, there is alot of things I want to do to my 06.
But I guess that is half the fun of owning one.
So far All I've gotten done is put the longer sportbar handlebars on, which helped improve the handling a lil better. Ohh and engine gaurds, which saved my case cover once already.

Maybe find a good 96 or newer used to tie you over until the new Max surfaces in a year or so. I have the feeling that I may be trading the 07 Max I just bought for the new one if I like it enough. But if you're considering an 07, it is a terrific ride.

Maximum said:
Maybe find a good 96 or newer used to tie you over until the new Max surfaces in a year or so. I have the feeling that I may be trading the 07 Max I just bought for the new one if I like it enough. But if you're considering an 07, it is a terrific ride.
Good post. You're thinking smart so here's to the next generation of brutal power.:cheers00:

Don't be fooled that the 85 had more power than the other years.They were dynoing and racing ringers for the magazines.

shawn kloker said:
Don't be fooled that the 85 had more power than the other years.They were dynoing and racing ringers for the magazines.

Dead on; never trust a Dyno # or a 1/4 mile time when the factory shows up with the bike already prepped.

welcome to the site. Is that bike in your avatar yours? R6 or R1?

maleko89 said:
I wouldn't get anything older than a '96. They had improved brakes, forks, charging system, and ignition system. Beware older bikes with low miles, this bike needs to be ridden often....otherwise it degrades quickly. FOr info on the differences over the years, try here: http://www.vmaxchat.com/. Click on Tips and then Model history. Good luck in the pursuit of YOUR vmax!

Well... crap... I didn't realize there were replies!

Looking at what people want for the machines, I think I'll start looking around 2003, which is when I think they did the 43 mm forks. The brakes still need work... but I think I can work with it. Plus, this will be my "cruiser."

maleko89 said:
I agree, I have had my 06 for 6 months now. And everything I've read and seen in the chats I would recommend a 93 or up.
Also you may want to consider finding a used with some of the mods already done. One thing I learned is, there is alot of things I want to do to my 06.
But I guess that is half the fun of owning one.
So far All I've gotten done is put the longer sportbar handlebars on, which helped improve the handling a lil better. Ohh and engine gaurds, which saved my case cover once already.

The fun is all in the mods! Sounds like you have gotten a decent start on your 06!

shawn kloker said:

Nah... actually I have wanted the V-Max since 1985, so I was thinking of starting with the first. But looking at what has been done over the years, I'll probably go with something much later. I've got "friends" that can help me find power when I want it :)

welcome to the site. Is that bike in your avatar yours? R6 or R1?

Yes, that's me on my R1 at Deal's Gap (photo courtesy of "Killboy.com" (I think I'm supposed to say that :) )

I may have been deceptive with the word "newbie" as I've been riding for over 25 years, I am a MSF instructor, and I hope to get my race license this year. I own two sportbikes; a 1991 FZR 1000 that has been built pretty decent, and a 2004 YZF-R1 that has a couple of things done to it. I average about 15k miles a year, and ride in most conditions. I respect the V-Max and want it for the ride position, passenger considerations, and look. While I certainly get the power out of the YZF or the FZR (the FZR is the monster of the two when it comes to the streets) I want something I can knock out distance with comfortably. I know that distance is relative with a small fuel tank and a strong right hand... but I'll figure that out :)

Thanks for all the replies and the warm welcome! Hopefully I can contribute as much as I learn here!

Dan

Welcome from one newbie to another....I had wanted a MAX since I first saw one in 85 as well, but it took me a long time to get one.....good luck on your search for yout new ride, and post up some pics when you get it....

Nice R1 by the way...I had an 01...I loved that bike....

Here is link to some pics of the 01 I just picked up a few wees ago..http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=628

Welcome aboard Newbie.

I, too, wanted that red 1985 from when I first studied the poster at the Yamaha dealer in January 1985. I BOUGHT the first 85 he got in that next March. When a 15 year old girl failed to yield turning left in front of me March 1987, I was able to buy a 2nd new 1985 leftover still in a crate. I still ride that red 1985 to this day and love every mile.

It's the best feel-good cruiser I've owned and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours, whatever year model you end up with.

I do take exception to what's being said about the earlier years though. While I may not be the meanest, hardest rider that ever sat a Max, I still managed to get the front wheel up a lot, experiment at the drags, and even out ran the local cops a time or three (in my younger, crazier days), and managed all that with only a broken drive shaft (once) and a broken u-joint another time. Knock on wood, but my trans and motor are still going strong after all these years. Of course there have been plugs, wires, filters and oil changes over the years - and a new back tire on average every 2250 miles. I think I've gotten my $4,500.00 worth with no regrets.

Latest posts

Back