150 or 170 for the back?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the 170 shinko with no fitment issues and did not need to do the washer swap.

just put shinko"s front and back. 150 on the rear. Love it. Shinko on the front works soooo much better than the Dunlop. totally different handling bike. I like them.

I'm going to put a set of the Tourmasters on my Roadstar next season. They finally came out with a rear tire to fit. I've been using one of the other tires Shinko makes on the rear, but next season I get to ride my retirement road trip to The Dragon on a matched set.. ( notice how I got the 'retirement' part in??)

I'll be buying Shinko Tourmaster 230s - 120 in the front and 170 in the back!

I think i'm going this same route.. Now to find the site that has the best price.

Just ordered the 120 for the front, the 170 for the rear and a dynabead 3oz starter pack for balancing. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered the 120 for the front, the 170 for the rear and a dynabead 3oz starter pack for balancing. Can't wait!

Cool beans..

It sounds like you change out your tires yourself.. If so,, what do you have for removal / installation?

I really don't want to take it to the bike shop for installation.
They seem to frown on you, if you didn't order from them.

That's simple, find a shop where they smile at accepting your $. Next time, ask them "if I buy from you, can you meet the internet price?" Be sure they understand you want it mounted off the bike to your wheels.

HFT has an inexpensive tire changing machine for motorcycles, no power. Changer and an adapter required. Still < $100.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-Tire-Changer-69686.html
Cool beans..

It sounds like you change out your tires yourself.. If so,, what do you have for removal / installation?

I really don't want to take it to the bike shop for installation.
They seem to frown on you, if you didn't order from them.

is it remotely possible to squeeze a 180/70/15 on the rear? Ive heard, insert the tire flat, pls advise, never really considered it, 170 goes on ok, appears to be room for a 180

is it remotely possible to squeeze a 180/70/15 on the rear? Ive heard, insert the tire flat, pls advise, never really considered it, 170 goes on ok, appears to be room for a 180
If you squeeze a 180 on the stock rim it will deform and IMO not be safe.
A 170 is the widest tire you can safely put on the stock rim.

Running a 180, but on a 5 1/2" wheel. No washer swap. I've seen a 180 on a stock wheel before using a Metzler tire. I didn't like the way it looked, offset to the right.

Just bought a Shinko 170 for the Max. Got it at Motorcycle Superstore. I forgot I had a bunch of discount points, and wound up getting the tire for $72.00 shipped.

This is my first Vmax and when I got it, it already had Metzler 880's fitted. 110/90/18 and 170/80/15. I do notice that when going around bends, the bike likes to 'straighten up' the steering. I don't know if this is just a characteristic of the Vmax or whether the front tyre is the cause? it's an '86. should i go bigger to a 120?

Latest posts

Back