My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
side note...

what is this? i was just looking at the bike last night and found this plug unplugged.. lookslike it hadn't been pluggedin for quitesome time . it looks like it is going to the stator area, with those bunch of wires, going into that spot on left hand side of bike..

Looks like the stock r/r plug. Roughly same location it should be, you have a r/r mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not that I know of.... maybe somptin from PO but i have never gotten into this part of the bike . but I plan on doing the Sh775 mod.

found the other side. wtf goin on here?

Attachments

• IMG_0553[1].jpg
    IMG_0553[1].jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 40
Well the right plug on top is overheated, it's charred. When I serviced my '92 I found the stator wires were overheating at the plug, doing the same thing. We know the easy way is to solder the wires, eliminating the plug, and use plenty of heat shrink tubing. Then make sure the wires are secured so they don't flop-around.

Well the right plug on top is overheated, it's charred. When I serviced my '92 I found the stator wires were overheating at the plug, doing the same thing. We know the easy way is to solder the wires, eliminating the plug, and use plenty of heat shrink tubing. Then make sure the wires are secured so they don't flop-around.

Ok will do.

take a look at the one with the green wire. that, I think is the other side of the pic before... looks like they shorted it or wahtever. what's that about?

Looks to me like the first picture is the kick stand switch wire. It would plug into the second picture wire. The green jumper is a bypass to the kick stand switch would be my guess.

Test to see if kick stand switch affects it when you put it in gear with the stand down. If not bypassed it should die, stand down, clutch pulled, in gear.

Looks to me like the first picture is the kick stand switch wire. It would plug into the second picture wire. The green jumper is a bypass to the kick stand switch would be my guess.

Test to see if kick stand switch affects it when you put it in gear with the stand down. If not bypassed it should die, stand down, clutch pulled, in gear.

Yup! That's how it worked for me! :biglaugh:

Got the COPS done. i know cyl #2 is working, put a spark tester on there just to see. should check the rest. these COPS weren't tested but off a running bike. started bike up tho, still problems when twisting throttle but i have other things to finish anyways.

i know i gotta clean things up a bit when i reassemble for good, and put boots on bottom of COPS and etc... like the dude in the writeup did.

next up is replacing stator and replacing R/R. got RMstator and SHind sh775. also will be installing fan switch but first thing first here. i got good directions from awesome member here. we'll see how it goes.

take a look at how dirty that connection is... and if follow that down to the bottom, what does it go into? something by shifter... to rear of bike from stator cover..? i'd like to clean up in there... advice on that? gnite.

here are thepics

Attachments

• IMG_0589[1].jpg
    IMG_0589[1].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0591[2].jpg
    IMG_0591[2].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0592[1].jpg
    IMG_0592[1].jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0593[1].jpg
    IMG_0593[1].jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 23
kinda where i'm at here.

see those burnt up wires, it was suggested I solder them and shrink wrap so i'll do that after I follow the r/r wires into the crankcase cover? is that right?

can I take that off to clean up the wires and all the grease in there and just put it back on to torque spec and etc?

then I guess I gotta take off the stator cover next? i jsut wanna clean things up and looks like i'll have to do a bit of soldering. what do I do with that tough connector? should I scrap it and re solder those wires too? its the one that I had to bang up pretty good to get unclipped... kinda nasty in there. not sure what these wires are for, but i'm sure i'll be getting to them via the instructions i have for the r/r replacement.

got a new stator to put in..RM stator.

jsut catching up, going slow. hunting season around the corner so tryin to do what i can when i have time.

main thing is fix wires but maybe wait til i get the r/r and new stator part situated?

Attachments

• IMG_0615[1].jpg
    IMG_0615[1].jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0616[1].jpg
    IMG_0616[1].jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0617[1].jpg
    IMG_0617[1].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0618[1].jpg
    IMG_0618[1].jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0620[1].jpg
    IMG_0620[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0621[1].jpg
    IMG_0621[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 10
also for the COPS, had to keep the rubber piece on all but number 1 to use to tighten fit in there, so I covered the exposed metal part of the COP with elec tape.. hope this is ok?

kinda where i'm at here.

see those burnt up wires, it was suggested I solder them and shrink wrap so i'll do that after I follow the r/r wires into the crankcase cover? is that right?

can I take that off to clean up the wires and all the grease in there and just put it back on to torque spec and etc?

then I guess I gotta take off the stator cover next? i jsut wanna clean things up and looks like i'll have to do a bit of soldering. what do I do with that tough connector? should I scrap it and re solder those wires too? its the one that I had to bang up pretty good to get unclipped... kinda nasty in there. not sure what these wires are for, but i'm sure i'll be getting to them via the instructions i have for the r/r replacement.

got a new stator to put in..RM stator.

jsut catching up, going slow. hunting season around the corner so tryin to do what i can when i have time.

main thing is fix wires but maybe wait til i get the r/r and new stator part situated?

yeah buddy soundsl ike you got it going on there hey, yeah dont be shy take that crankcase cover off if you wanna go and clean up them wires. follow your directions for the R/R and stator replacement, open up that cover, mark the bolts where they go and what not, feel free to clean up in there too, good idea. follow your direfctions and you may be replacing some of those wire lines anyways so yeah go ahead yo keep the rest of us posted thnx.

yeah buddy soundsl ike you got it going on there hey, yeah dont be shy take that crankcase cover off if you wanna go and clean up them wires. follow your directions for the R/R and stator replacement, open up that cover, mark the bolts where they go and what not, feel free to clean up in there too, good idea. follow your direfctions and you may be replacing some of those wire lines anyways so yeah go ahead yo keep the rest of us posted thnx.

I think you are talking to yourself-:bang head:

Hey man, finally took a peek at the bike. took some stuff off rear footpeg, clutch lever stuff etc to get in there and clean up some of those wires going from stator to battery area.

damn it's greasy under there, dang should soak the bike in degreaser! lol.

anyways went to take mid gear crank cover off and a drop of oil started to leak out... i was like.. WoAH! didnt know that would happen... so there's oil in there?

pg 216 of Clymers doesn't mention to drain oil before taking cover off! so I tightened back up the screws for cover and not gonig to remove it. Just wanted to remove it to get better access to clean wires..

so guess i'll just try to clean best i can without taking that cover off. then move onto the stator cover. is oil going to come out of there too? it's wires and stuff, i dont think so.

so..... gonna clean up thge wires from battery area tonight and get into that stator. got Clymers and Haynes will follow the pg 284 Clymers.

i'll try to do the resistance testing first as per manual. Ok. hope to get a new stator in tonight. thanks man.

Hey man, finally took a peek at the bike. took some stuff off rear footpeg, clutch lever stuff etc to get in there and clean up some of those wires going from stator to battery area.

damn it's greasy under there, dang should soak the bike in degreaser! lol.

anyways went to take mid gear crank cover off and a drop of oil started to leak out... i was like.. WoAH! didnt know that would happen... so there's oil in there?

pg 216 of Clymers doesn't mention to drain oil before taking cover off! so I tightened back up the screws for cover and not gonig to remove it. Just wanted to remove it to get better access to clean wires..

so guess i'll just try to clean best i can without taking that cover off. then move onto the stator cover. is oil going to come out of there too? it's wires and stuff, i dont think so.

so..... gonna clean up thge wires from battery area tonight and get into that stator. got Clymers and Haynes will follow the pg 284 Clymers.

i'll try to do the resistance testing first as per manual. Ok. hope to get a new stator in tonight. thanks man.

oh yeah hey dude, they call it alternator in clymers page 137. looks like you gotta drain the oil. dont take off mid gear crank cover tho unless you plan on replacing the gasket for it. Might be good to get the part number for future anyways hey...

. if u dont have one, just do the alternator cover. looks like u gotta drain oil. Drain it cuz you ain't doin any ridin for a while anyways. you should get an oil filter too for when you replace the oil.

You don't lose much oil, but have all your gaskets on hand. Make sure you use the bottom fastener washer for oil tightness on the mid gear cover, take a look at your clutch slave cyl if you remove that engine side cover.

You don't lose much oil, but have all your gaskets on hand. Make sure you use the bottom fastener washer for oil tightness on the mid gear cover, take a look at your clutch slave cyl if you remove that engine side cover.

Ok.

so not much oil leaks from the middle gear cover if i take it off?

i dont have a gasket for that, what shold i search for? tried looking earlier. I really just want it off to clean up underneath it, that's it. not sure if it' worth removing for that... and have to put on a new gasket.. too... thoughts?

and/or not much oil will leak from the alternator cover if i just take it off..?

obviouisly i need this off to replace the stator with the RM stator i got. i do have a new gasket for the alternator cover.

thnx

The middle gear cover needs to come off in order to remove the stator cover.

Use OEM gaskets. No sealer required on gaskets. You'll need some silicone or similar to seal the grommet in the stator where the wires come out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The middle gear cover needs to come off in order to remove the stator cover.

Use OEM gaskets. No sealer required on gaskets. You'll need some silicone or similar to seal the grommet in the stator where the wires come out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Alright.

got the cover off for middle gear. anyone know of the part number for the gasket? boats.net maybe i can research it and find the part and search from there.

cleaning up those wires etc. drained the oil .

got the middle gear cover off with those 4 bolts and one gold washer for bottom. picked up a micro torque wrench Harbor Freight 20 bucks.

tomorrow i'll take off alternator cover and continue the goal.

gonna have to pick up OEM gasket though... hmm tried to find on boats.net

must not be searching correct schematic. found the one without cover and gasket shown..... dangit whats that gasket part no....?

Back