Help removing old pushrod oil seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX NV

Reaction score
I don't know if it was leaking but since the rebuild kit came with a new one, I decided to replace it.

I tried pliers, screwdriver and coat hanger and can't get it out, but it is trashed now so I can't keep it in.

First, does it fit over a metal piece and does the metal piece come out?
Then do you fit the new one over the metal piece?
How would you suggest getting the rest of the old seal out?

Post a picture for Sean.
He has torn apart and rebuilt more Vmax engines than I have probably even seen. ;)

Re: Help removing old pushrod oil seal... ME TOO

I am having same problems w/removal of this seal it just tore into pieces and appears to have been installed w/sealant of some kinds. At this point I wish I would have left it alone, but that is not an option...

Does the Clutch Push Rod on the VMAX insert from the slave cylinder side? I see comment above about using a self tapping screw. What is behind this seal that I am going to gouge into?

Re: Help removing old pushrod oil seal... ME TOO

It's installed with the same sealant as putting the case halves together and can really get glued in from time to time. I don't suggest the screw method. You'll want to get a corner on it or use a regular seal puller and really get a good bite. You might be able to get in behind the edge of the inner steel (which is what's stuck). You MIGHT be able to get an outer edge and push it towards the center to get the OD broke free.

Thanks for response. I was able to find a easy and effective way to get this out using a little pry tool after I removed the clutch push rod.

I couldn't find anywhere that showed the push rod being removed, and was concerned I would mar it up or bend it trying to pull something out that was meant to be removed w/the clutch assembly... on the other side of the case... but I took a chance and it came out pretty easily.

Will post pictures in the case anyone has this question in the future...

view

view

view

view

view

So yeah, mine was stuck in there good. I didn't know the seal was rubber coated metal, so when I saw the metal after I ripped off some of the rubber I was confused.

I finally got it out pretty clean. Cleaned out the hole, put some more sealer around the edged and put the new seal and rod back in.

One thing though, the book(Haynes) said to put in the seal, then lube up the rod and slide it in. I figured since the seal was designed to keep oil out, then it would wipe off any lube I put on the rod, so I fit the seal over the rod first, then lubed it and put the whole thing in. Then tapped in the seal with an appropriate sized socket...

I also did the clutch plates, oil change and clutch fluid while I was at it. Put it all together and it amazingly worked.

I took for granted that you had already removed the push rod.

Latest posts

Back