Mom

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
1934 - 2016

Me and my parents at my Air Force retirement, 2009

Mom_Mark1_zpsgetgphcw.jpg

My mom and I at the Mayo Clinic in 2013, just before my major surgery following a nearly fatal car crash (my face is a little messed up).

Mom_Mark2_zpshxyv5qge.jpg

She passed away the end of June. I've been away from this forum for a while with these family priorities and international travel. Mom had heart and respiratory problems. Her wish was to not stay on life support and no resuscitation. On June 28, she was awake when I had my last special moment alone with her. I had the opportunity to look into her eyes and tell her I was very thankful for her and my dad sending me in the right direction in life and being good parents. Her eyes started filling with tears. That was tough. A little while later, her ventilator tube was removed, and she slowly passed out... then passed away very peacefully. The last time her eyes were opened, they were fixed and focused straight up. We could not get her attention, though she responded to us earlier. Her Savior took her hand and led her to glory. No more suffering or pain. My dad kissed her and said, "Goodbye. I love you. I'll see you in a little while." We were very sad to see her go, but so thankful the suffering has ended. Dad is doing well and has been a very good example. They were married almost 58 years.

Here comes the preaching... you can take it or leave it. Probably not a good place to start a debate.

Many of you probably know I'm unashamed to call myself a Christian. But certainly not perfect - like anyone. I'm a human full of faults. My mom was also a Christian and knew for sure where she was going when she died. Not because she earned heaven by good works, going to church, or living a good life - ONLY by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9). Everything about her passing was "textbook" Christian death. No extreme sorrow. No hopelessness. No horror of the unknown. Yes, of course there is sorrow. That's normal with separation. I was in the military - I know how that works! Some have said, "Sorry for your loss." I understand it's a kind gesture, and I will not correct that. But we haven't lost Mom. We know exactly where she is. If you are not a believer, I hope this makes you think a little. If you would like to learn more about this hope that we have, send me a private message.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your mother was a blessing for you and all around her is seems. You respected and loved her and she loved you without question. It's good for grief not to take hold of you so you feel sorry for yourself, cherish her memory and remember her lessons to help you lead a life full of grace.
I lost both my parents at a young age (12) but feel I was lucky enough to have the right people around me when I needed them. I pray that the good lord looks over all of the good in each of us and carries us through this life and the life ever after.

Sorry for your loss. We know she's gone to a much better place, not sure I will. The way this world has gone, it's not fit for good people any more. God will now take care of her forever.

PS: I taught motorcycle safety for Peterson Field, Ent. NORAD and the Air Force Academy (73-75)

I liked the retirement pic, it shows the love in your family. Mom and dad look pleased and content and proud of your career. It's a wonderful picture.

Having had both my parents die, I've outlived them both, and I expect to have a long time to enjoy my family and grandkids. I expect to be riding for awhile, but I'm not as motivated to ride as I was when younger. The south FL streets are just crazy, I'm waiting on getting my truck back after having been hit from behind during an I-95 'all lanes stopped, five lanes across' morning rush hour accident. Between their cellphones, and whatever else they are doing, people aren't paying attention to their driving. That makes me reluctant to be on the road, because on a bike things are going to be much-worse during an accident.

Anyway, thanks for telling us about your close-knit family, and what has helped you to accept the death of your mother.

Sorry for your loss, you're truly blessed to have the parents you do, brought a tear to my eye to read, God Bless

There is a time to move on and it sounds like it was her time. No more pain and suffering for her and you all have a new angel that will look over you in your journey of life.

Mike

My prayers are with you and your family. Be thankful your memories are all positive. My relation- ship with my Mom is where I always wanted it to be today. She's 86 with a pacemaker, so every day I treat like the last. I don't go a week without a visit or two days without a call.
Steve-o

Your forum name is heart warming to me. I'm the oldest of 10 children and we are also a very close knit family. We lost our dad in 2001, and are fortunate that our mom is still around and as active as ever. God bless you all. Being part of a big crazy family is an experience like no other.

It's good that you know where she is-Mine is in my heart also. She was born the same year as your mother but passed away in 1984 on her 30th wedding anniversary -never has a day gone by without thinking of her. I could sure use another if anyone can loan theirs out of a while. I sure do miss the talks.

...She's 86 with a pacemaker, so every day I treat like the last. I don't go a week without a visit or two days without a call.
Steve-o

Wise words. Don't set yourself up to have regrets.

Thanks, y'all for the kind comments!

Its a transitional thing and a move to the next chapter. What a blessing that she got to be here for a long time and with family. It's what I hope for. Very sorry for your loss and glad you got to be with her.

God bless,One day you will all be reunited in heaven.God blessed you with great parent's

Great pics of you and your mom and dad! Also it's a wonderful thing to have the hope of eternity with Christ and our loved ones. There are blessings in everything as long as our hope is in Him! My dad passed almost 5 years ago and it was hard to let him go. The memories are still fresh and I still hear his voice in my head when I think about the life lessons he taught me. My mom is 83 and we were able to help her move into an assisted living facility this past weekend. She is still very active but just has some limitations with mobility. We talk almost daily and get together often.
I am thankful for parents that taught me how to sacrifice for my family and attempt to guide me in the right direction as a kid and young adult. Now that my kids are almost all grown, I have found that I am still learning from my past as it catches up with me. I will still have seasons of learning when I apply what my parents were doing at my age too. The key is that they were "doing" and not just telling me how to navigate through life. It is a perpetual act of parenting from here to our last breath and what our kids will remember about us as they grow and get older too. Thanks for sharing brother and blessings to you and your family!

My Mom passed in march of 1983. She was 69 years old. She's now been gone more than half of my life, and I miss her every day.

Sounds like a solid Christian family. It must be very comforting to know she is in heaven . Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear of your loss and I also share your faith of one day seeing them again one day I lost my dad the same day my first son was born when I was 23 and I'll never forget looking out the labor room window watching life flight come in and saying to my then wife "ain't that a shame someone has to die so our child could be born" speaking metaphorically that is. But then my brother came to the labor room and called me outside to say "Dad had a bad accident on the tractor and fell off and went under the brush hog. My heart sank like a ton of bricks landed on me. Then 2 hrs later my son was born. Then 5 years later we lost my brother John to a drunk driver which is a big reason I don't drink then we lost our Mom to emphysema at age 63 in 97 so they never got to see how many kids I ended up having which is 6 of my own and 2 step daughters but they live with us so they're as close as any of them but now I know how hard it is especially around holidays without parents and it's amazing how our family (my brothers and sisters) totally fell apart but my kids and wife need me around so I just keep the faith that the good lord will hopefully let me stick around awhile to be there for my youngest Summer who's 10 and Max who's now already 6. Wow! Time sure flys when you get older. So remember all the good memories and just keep your faith to all be together in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back