Everything was fine till i flushed the old coolant..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNN SUCKS DONKEY

Reaction score
THEN all hell broke loose literaly... 97 vmax 24k...bikes been running tops for two weeks Ive had it, no leaks at all of any type. The coolant was old and piss looking so today I flushed and toped off with Prestone premix went for a sprightly ride and all was good. Fast forward 4 hours later and my garage has coolant on the floor. Same place it stays every nite. Acording to my Clymers manual its leaking from the water pump pipe o-rings both and the drain cock o-ring. Wth...the drsin cock i can understand since i turned that thing to try to get it to drain earlier to no avail. But the elbow o-rings....why would they go to leaking ? Chemical reaction as the old coolant was yellowish and nasty looking vs new Prestone. Someone explain. Has this happened to you- Also how do yo remove the waterpump pipe to replace the o-rings ? Looks like it just pops in, surely cant be that easy to end the bikes cooling 200 miles from home...I hope.

Water pump has to come off to get the plastic elbow out. Gonna need a gasket also. I've been there but with the water pump mechanical seal not wanting to seal. 5 or 6 Allen head bolts hold it on. Prolly take an hour to do, that includes putting coolant back in and running it to top it off after the thermostat opens. Make sure all the old gasket is off, and not too gouge the aluminum housing or the case, as the gasket also seals off some oil passages. Check your impeller while it's off.

The pump does not need to be removed. You can remove the two bolts holding the t-stat housing in place which will allow enough movement to remove the elbow.

Thanks for the info guys. Any explenation as to why this crazy sh@t happened in the first place ? Also One2dmax when you say removing the two bolts on the tstat housing to allow me to remove the elbow o-rings ; will the tstat have to be removed from its sealed gasket if so, will I have to install a new gasket or make one with some sealtex gasket maker. Ive never seen the tstat gasket so I dont know if its rubber or plastic material that can be removed then reinstalled with out issue ? Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks for the info guys. Any explenation as to why this crazy sh@t happened in the first place ? Also One2dmax when you say removing the two bolts on the tstat housing to allow me to remove the elbow o-rings ; will the tstat have to be removed from its sealed gasket if so, will I have to install a new gasket or make one with some sealtex gasket maker. Ive never seen the tstat gasket so I dont know if its rubber or plastic material that can be removed then reinstalled with out issue ? Thanks ahead of time.

No, it all comes out as an assembly. no need to remove the stat.

The housing the T-Stat is located inside is removeable, you can then access and replace the elbow O-Rings, I would also disassemble and replace the drain cock O-Rings too, good time to inspect your cooling system components, hoses, fan, radiator, etc...............Tom.

How do you like it? I'm tired of looking at mine, with the paint flaking off....etc. I even contacted them, and they have one to match the Satin 07 engine paint.....they are just kind of ...high.

I was sick of constantly touching up the paint myself Eric! It has been 3 or 4 years now since I installed it and it has been good. I have done a couple minor touchups but the nicks don't show up like they do on a stock elbow. One thing is that the black elbow "disappears" against the black cases so if you want bling go with the aluminum option and buff it to a chrome like shine or just have Sean chrome it. I have to admit the my mod monkey ('ol Zip) got me back in 2013 for a few pieces of bling.
Here is a picture of it bug splattered but still in great shape from 2016:
View attachment 55545

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
I was sick of constantly touching up the paint myself Eric! It has been 3 or 4 years now since I installed it and it has been good. I have done a couple minor touchups but the nicks don't show up like they do on a stock elbow. One thing is that the black elbow "disappears" against the black cases so if you want bling go with the aluminum option and buff it to a chrome like shine or just have Sean chrome it. I have to admit the my mod monkey ('ol Zip) got me back in 2013 for a few pieces of bling.
Here is a picture of it bug splattered but still in great shape from 2016:
View attachment 55545

That does look good. I would probably just go with the Satin, and have it blend in. There are some things that I want to "stick out" and be seen, and the elbow from the water pump isnt it.

On a side note, how functional is the oil pressure gauge? I like where yours is located, and looks. I like how minimal the original Vmax gauge cluster is (thats why I went with Seans GPS gauge......it kinda looks factory.)

I believe the stat is sealed under the cover with an O-Ring, the housing itself just bolts to the block, no coolant passage....................Tom.

That does look good. I would probably just go with the Satin, and have it blend in. There are some things that I want to "stick out" and be seen, and the elbow from the water pump isnt it.

On a side note, how functional is the oil pressure gauge? I like where yours is located, and looks. I like how minimal the original Vmax gauge cluster is (thats why I went with Seans GPS gauge......it kinda looks factory.)

It has been good, picked it from Cycle One-off back in '09. The functionality is good but I rarely look at it after the engine is warmed up.

The story gets better.....warmed her up took her around the neiborhood 10 minute ride a few sprints up to temp for sure. Get back home and this time just one tiny drop of coolant on my floor vs Sun small river of coolant. This is batsh*t crazy I tell you. The local Yama dealer has the waterpipe o-rings for 7.50$ Im getting some with the drain valve oring and tstat housing gasket since Ill have it torn down. I havent a clue what would have cause the big leak Sun after never having leaked anything other than me flushing the system out - there was visible crud at the radiator top fitting under the right side air scoop. Maybe some trash broke loose the o-rings ? Who knows.

Attachments

• 20170312_162347.jpg
    20170312_162347.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170312_162306.jpg
    20170312_162306.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170313_175806.jpg
    20170313_175806.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
Back