1st Gen HID lighting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNN SUCKS DONKEY

Reaction score
Anyone find a HID headlamp conversion kit that fits without moding or very little modding on a 97 vmax ? I tried one from my vtx 1300 as they use the same h4 9003 lamp but the lamp legs are to wide to get the yamaha metal ring to fasten. If I wanted to i could order a similar kit and dremel it to fit. But i figure Im not the first....somebody has surely found a hid kit that fits.

I Have one from ddmtuning. Small ballast worked great. I'd get an h4 from cyclops adventure at this point, though. Less fiddly.

With all due respect to those that are using non halogen lighting in a halogen bulb, I disagree with the idea for courtesy and safety reasons.

There are some known issues with running HID in lamps designed for halogen bulbs. They splash light everywhere, not in a focused beam as HID specific projector lamps are designed for. Unfocused HID is some really powerful shit. Proper HID projectors are not cheap and for the aftermarket they are giving up some real estate to LED lamps which are cheaper and from what I can see work as well if not better, also less current draw and you dont have to hassle with a ballast.

I've been on the fence on buying the LED H4 replacements for the halogen lamp but ultimately decided against it for the above reasons. Like I said I dont want anyone blinded if they are barreling towards me in an 8000 lb SUV. As luck has it there are cost effective ways to do LED lamps correctly. Like the following
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7Inch-80W-C...ash=item282e7fb7a7:g:yC0AAOSwZQRYd~GY&vxp=mtr

It does require some light doctoring of the lamp housing I believe, also it's Chinese aftermarket garbage but so are the like priced HID kits. It's a cost effective way to correctly upgrade for far more light. It's worth reading up on before deciding whats right for your needs, I just felt compelled to mention the downsides and safety issues that crop up by using unfocused HIDs. I think LEDs behave more like halogens but you could still run into problems not using a lamp designed for the light source your choosing. Also see how fast you get jacked if you blind a cop.

I know some guys here do it so I expect :flamethrower: :angry flame:and thats ok! I can take it! :clapping:

I agree. In NE they will write you a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now use a 100 w halogen low beam, with a double relay harness. I don't mind driving at night anymore because I can see great, without blinding others. I'd think the relay harness would make the OEM bulb much brighter. Bulbs are cheap. Sean had the bulb I'm using.

I now use a 100 w halogen low beam, with a double relay harness. I don't mind driving at night anymore because I can see great, without blinding others. I'd think the relay harness would make the OEM bulb much brighter. Bulbs are cheap. Sean had the bulb I'm using.

Thats the same one that i am using. VERY nice, and easy to swap.

I too am looking to upgrade my headlamp but what I want is a way to make it flicker/flash so I am more visible during the day. Not to hijack the thread totally but is there a solution for what I seek?

Valid point taken. However a bike with a halogen headlamp and two driving lights below gives a similar amount of lite to one conveniant hid head lamp wich i prefer over adding a light kit and wiring it. Its only one lamp and it makes a day and night diffrence when having to ride at night . By todays standards the factory headlamp is weak and can be easily improved with a hid or led lamp kit and yes leds do have a ballast way smaller but a transformer nonetheless. Leds are a good medium between original halogen and hid. Only thing is once you have hids in the sticks its very dificult to change back to halogen even leds its just that much better safer re: seeing way ahead of you. With regard to blinding oncoming traffic.... The kits Ive ordered come with dual halogen and full bright hid lamps that are activated by your hi low beam switch as not to molest other drivers / police. Best of both worlds imo.

I too am looking to upgrade my headlamp but what I want is a way to make it flicker/flash so I am more visible during the day. Not to hijack the thread totally but is there a solution for what I seek?

My first street bike came with one i cant remember what its called it looks like a old bike flasher easy male/female conection Threw mine away. Thought my lights were going out lol. There very inexpensive and legal in most states. For the life of me I cant remember what its called. Not a flasher for shure. Dammit somebody help me out here !!!!!!!

My first street bike came with one i cant remember what its called it looks like a old bike flasher easy male/female conection Threw mine away. Thought my lights were going out lol. There very inexpensive and legal in most states. For the life of me I cant remember what its called. Not a flasher for shure. Dammit somebody help me out here !!!!!!!

Kisan headlight modulator?

e5b01c61568fdb482028f7e922723575.jpg

I installed an LED bulb in the stock housing and spent time on making sure that the adjustments were set to not blind incoming traffic.

What I found was that I had to adjust the aim UP as the LED bulb does not have 360 degree light distribution.

The results are significantly better than stock with no issues of blinding incoming traffic with low beam on.

e5b01c61568fdb482028f7e922723575.jpg

I installed an LED bulb in the stock housing and spent time on making sure that the adjustments were set to not blind incoming traffic.

What I found was that I had to adjust the aim UP as the LED bulb does not have 360 degree light distribution.

The results are significantly better than stock with no issues of blinding incoming traffic with low beam on.

That looks better than stock. Do you remember the part #.

Put a direct from China hid kit on my 93 a few years ago.
Half way through the first riding season I started having issues with the connectors that were supplied with the kit. Poor contact and started melting the plastic. Fixed that. Rest of the season it worked fine.
The following summer it just quit working. Not sure if it was the bulb or ballast. Yanked out the hid kit and put the old halogen back in.

Thats the same one that i am using. VERY nice, and easy to swap.
Traumahawk, I discovered that my headlight was crap last year when i was unexpectedly out past dark. Don't usually ride at night. Seems I need to make some adjustments anyway so I might as well upgrade while i'm at it. Where can I find the bulb that you are referring to? Is there any wiring changes needed? (i'm not very good with wiring). I have a '94. Is it just a plain swap? Thanks for any info!

That looks better than stock. Do you remember the part #.

I tried to find the eBay part, but things have changed from 2 years ago. Mine was a FANLESS H4 led replacement bulb with 2800 lumens output for highbeam.

5k miles and going strong.

Latest posts

Back