Anyone used the UFO 1.5" caps OR how to reduce ear bleeding from the StreetPro?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '03 has the UFO StreetPro 4-2 and it's loud. Like significantly louder than my Buell 1125R, which is the second loudest bike I've ever owned. Like when I'm riding with my buddies, I look in my mirrors and they've drifted back a hundred yards or more and they cry like babies about how loud my bike is. I almost always ride with earplugs so the noise isn't an issue most of the time, but for those other times (and for the sake of neighbors and buddies), I'd like to tone it down a bit.

UFO offers 1.5" end caps to replace (and theoretically quiet down) the 2.5" stock caps, but it's $130 plus shipping for the pair. That's a big chunk of change for two small pieces of aluminum that may or may not have the desired affect.

Has anybody managed to quiet down UFO's megaphones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a UFO 4/2 Street pro, but they have slash cut tips, so no replaceable endcap. Voodoo makes the "Speakeasy" insert that should fit perfectly inside the baffle in the muffler, and they are only about $25 each. Might help you?

I have the 4 into 1 dragstar I may try the speakeasy . I wear earplugs but I know higher rpms they are way too noisey but at idle and cruising under 4000 rpm 's sweet music to my ears with plugs of course.

I have that small end cap for mine. It does help but it sounds a little weird and it's still loud as hell.

I haven't looked into this yet but I'm curious if one could buy a 2" perforated tube and completely replace the UFO innards. This would allow more packing material. Then, take my small end cap to the machine shop and have them carve out a groove to match the OD of the new baffle and enlarge the outlet to be just smaller than the ID of the baffle. Sounds like a lot of work but would be worth it.

Replacing the UFO stainless "packing" with a good fiberglass or ceramic needle mat makes a big difference in reducing the raspy, hi pitch noise. Definitely mellows it a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have that small end cap for mine. It does help but it sounds a little weird and it's still loud as hell.

I haven't looked into this yet but I'm curious if one could buy a 2" perforated tube and completely replace the UFO innards. This would allow more packing material. Then, take my small end cap to the machine shop and have them carve out a groove to match the OD of the new baffle and enlarge the outlet to be just smaller than the ID of the baffle. Sounds like a lot of work but would be worth it.

Replacing the UFO stainless "packing" with a good fiberglass or ceramic needle mat makes a big difference in reducing the raspy, hi pitch noise. Definitely mellows it a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Totally agree with adding the fiberglass packing, makes a hell of a difference!

The Speakeasy unfortunately is only for the slash cut "mufflers"--mine has the megaphone style cans.

I've never repacked a muffler--is that something that a local muffler shop ought to be able to handle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I repacked my UFO quadzillas with fiberglass, it has a nice deep throaty tone now, But still loud as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just re-cored my UFO mega's, I couldn't deal the noise any longer. Smaller core to get more packing in and whilst it's still loud, it's not offensively loud and it has a much deeper tone. I'll do a video up shortly so u can have a listen to hopefully give u an idea...

This is the first modification to the UFO's to settle them down. The end caps are down to 40mm and the perforated tube the same. Great reduction in ear splitting tone..

Trying to work out the video..

Attachments

• End cap.jpg
    End cap.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 66
This is the first modification to the UFO's to settle them down. The end caps are down to 40mm and the perforated tube the same. Great reduction in ear splitting tone..

Trying to work out the video..

I've just re-cored my UFO mega's, I couldn't deal the noise any longer. Smaller core to get more packing in and whilst it's still loud, it's not offensively loud and it has a much deeper tone. I'll do a video up shortly so u can have a listen to hopefully give u an idea...

Similar to what I was thinking about doing. Buying a new perforated tube to fabricate a smaller core inside and allow more packing.

I have an endcap with a small hole in it. I was considering having a groove milled on the back side of the cap so the smaller core would fit inside it just like the way UFO has it setup. Then, I could have the outlet of the cap bored out a little bit to get close to the ID of the new core.

If you have any added info on how you attached the core inside the muffler, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I repacked mine with ceramic packing then added the speakeasies. Deeper tone, all the raspy sound gone, volume down a little. Still loud but a nicer loud if that makes sense. A slightly smaller core would allow more packing and be the real solution.

Dale

I got it off ebay. Described as ceramic exhaust packing. Seems to work and was pretty cheap. Let me see if I can get you some more details.

Dale

UFO make 2.5'' and 2'' baffle cores for the single megaphone can. I changed from 2.5'' to 2'' and i think it sounds alot better. It was like 20$.

I decided my UFO's were still too loud after putting the smaller 40mm core in so off they came again for further mods.
This time another baffle was put in the end of the pipe, similar to the DB killers you get when u buy most silencers on the market.
It's now quiet enough that I can now ride without ear plugs if I choose and I'm not thinking I'm deafening my son when he's on the back.
It's also made no difference at all to performance according to my butt dyno, if anything it runs better down low with the extra back pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided my UFO's were still too loud after putting the smaller 40mm core in so off they came again for further mods.
This time another baffle was put in the end of the pipe, similar to the DB killers you get when u buy most silencers on the market. .

Got any more details for us--where'd you buy it, what did it cost, etc?

I repacked mine with ceramic packing then added the speakeasies. Deeper tone, all the raspy sound gone, volume down a little. Still loud but a nicer loud if that makes sense. A slightly smaller core would allow more packing and be the real solution.

Dale

Did you have to rejet your carbs when Installed the speak easy

Got any more details for us--where'd you buy it, what did it cost, etc?

40mm core was rolled from perforated flat. The original black hole end cap that came with the UFO's remained and another was made up to reduce the ID down to the new perforated core. The new end cap is basically a stepped washer that sits behind the rear face of the UFO cap where it was welded on.
The new Db killer has been tacked on inside the smaller perforated tube.

A couple of photo's would be the easiest way to explain it but unfortunately none were taken along the way. I'll take a couple when I next repack them. In the meantime here's a crappy diagram not using CAD :biglaugh:

Attachments

• UFO new core.jpg
    UFO new core.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back