New EFI system possibility

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Well guys, just got a notice about F.A.S.T.'s new EZ EFI system. It's designed for cars but I see no reason why it can't work with a custom intake (or adapters) for the Vmax. I haven't checked to see what my discount level is for pricing either.

The nice thing is it's a "learning" system so no tuning needed other then just drive it! If any of the other elecrical gurus' have any ideas please let me know the feasability of it.

Here's the company site:
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

Then you can find the various EZ systems there. We would not need the master system as we would want to do something different for a fuel pump. The rest looks all self contained.

Sean

:punk: Sean, Looks like a great idea! Pricing doesn't look to bad either compared to other options out there. Keep us posted. Good Find, Spur

Interesting idea for sure! If it is picking up the injector timing from coil(s) I have to wonder how it will work with the oddball ignition system on the Max. I have seen intakes made for 4bbl carbs for the Vmax before so they are out there.

Not sure about the ignition thing but hopefully we could work that out. I don't have the funds to jump in this at the moment but maybe when I get my Chevelle or my 2005 sold I can jump on it.

I know mounting it up will be the easy part. Self learning is the beauty of it as well as virtually everything built into the actual body of the carb. Even looks like a very small brain so might even fit easily on the bike.

Sean

Id love it if it could teach my wildbros system how to learn:rofl_200:

If it is using the coil to signal the injectors wouldnt it inject on the exhaust stroke?

Cool setup! The biggest issue i would have is the lack of velocity due to a large open plenum and also the large throttle bores. Guess one could fabricate 4 individual intake ports all leading to a single flange where the TB bolts up. Each port directly matching one throttle bore, effectively having one throttle bore feeding one intake port. Don't think you could individually syn each cyl though.
Also, will it work correctly with a wasted spark setup like we use? I "believe" it calculates injection times based on the spark timing for one cyl near TDC. With the wasted spark, one will be correct and the other waaaaay off. Make sense? May not make a difference, i dunno. It would have no way of knowing the timing of the other 3 cyls.
Just some thoughts.

Oh boy here we go... I did a 4 barrel setup a long time ago and it didn't stay on the bike for long. Maybe this will work but I doubt it. Here's a link to the price and info for the basic kit. Your looking at about $2500.00 when all is said and done... for stuff to adapt it. Quite a gamble.

My 1994 G20 Chevy has throttle body injection... you can get that setup at a bone yard and maybe get one of ECM prom flasher guys to give you a tune... Nah:barf:

The Holley is a self learner. But just couldn't understand the MAX. Nothings easy on this bike!

I estimating I could get the kit for around $1500 (maybe a little more) and then you would need the pump and make the manifold. Or the pump that comes with the master kit may work and is an inline pump. Save fabbing anything in the tank. But, as you noted I am not sure if the electronics can be made to work.

I know the TB is too large and would hurt low end performance. Perhaps a "restrictor" made into the mounting flange to get the size down a bit. The nice thing if it will work right is the learning feature.

I may end up breaking down at some point and buying it since I can use it on one of our old musclecars (probably the 70 chevelle so I can run E85 easier). So not a huge gamble if it didn't work on the bike.

Gary, from what you are reading you don't think the system is capable of running with our ignition system?

Sean

Becouse v-max is odd fireing and wasted spark. It should work but only if v-max will have sequentional sparking.

It will work somehow, but wasting much fuel and propably loseing sync.

I estimating I could get the kit for around $1500 (maybe a little more) and then you would need the pump and make the manifold. Or the pump that comes with the master kit may work and is an inline pump. Save fabbing anything in the tank. But, as you noted I am not sure if the electronics can be made to work.

I know the TB is too large and would hurt low end performance. Perhaps a "restrictor" made into the mounting flange to get the size down a bit. The nice thing if it will work right is the learning feature.

I may end up breaking down at some point and buying it since I can use it on one of our old musclecars (probably the 70 chevelle so I can run E85 easier). So not a huge gamble if it didn't work on the bike.

Gary, from what you are reading you don't think the system is capable of running with our ignition system?

Sean

Sean

I don't know about the ignition side. Every time I talk to one of the ignition manufacturers and mention odd fire they practically hang up on me. The demand is so small they just don't want to deal with it. I'm sure you'll agree it's the one thing the Gen 1 really needs. Then we can play with timing etc. I'd be happy with just the ignition side.

Lets hope Mark makes that Haltech unit work on the ignition side. Even Haltech has dropped the odd fire feature from their new Platinum series. Motec and DFI have it and support is great... but the price is crazy 5K or more. Once the Haltech is working you can do just about any config you'd like. Kinsler sells all kinds of TB configurations. It's just a matter of making a manifold.

Any good tuner with a Dyno can make it run and once that's done and we have a map to work with. The units operate closed loop and pretty much self learn.

The good news is that the Haltech units are dropping in price with the introduction of their new line. The E8 or E11 can be had for about $1200 or less and have lots of bells and whistles.

Sometimes I feel like selling all of my Vmax stuff and using the money to buy the Chevy of motorcycles... Suzuki. Plenty of parts and you can do anything with the engine you want cheap. As I said and you know... nothings easy or cheap on this bike. :ummm: Why do we do it?

LOL, yep - I know. I do have some really oddball stuff for someone wanting to experiment. I even have a Jag V12 dist setup that might work well on your new bike. Would give you plenty of seperation to help prevent spark jump.

Sean

Sean

I don't know about the ignition side. Every time I talk to one of the ignition manufacturers and mention odd fire they practically hang up on me. The demand is so small they just don't want to deal with it. I'm sure you'll agree it's the one thing the Gen 1 really needs. Then we can play with timing etc. I'd be happy with just the ignition side.

Lets hope Mark makes that Haltech unit work on the ignition side. Even Haltech has dropped the odd fire feature from their new Platinum series. Motec and DFI have it and support is great... but the price is crazy 5K or more. Once the Haltech is working you can do just about any config you'd like. Kinsler sells all kinds of TB configurations. It's just a matter of making a manifold.

Any good tuner with a Dyno can make it run and once that's done and we have a map to work with. The units operate closed loop and pretty much self learn.

The good news is that the Haltech units are dropping in price with the introduction of their new line. The E8 or E11 can be had for about $1200 or less and have lots of bells and whistles.

Sometimes I feel like selling all of my Vmax stuff and using the money to buy the Chevy of motorcycles... Suzuki. Plenty of parts and you can do anything with the engine you want cheap. As I said and you know... nothings easy or cheap on this bike. :ummm: Why do we do it?[/QUOTE]

Cuz we can...

Ok, spent a few hours digging through all my custom stuff. Here's some ignition stuff that might be able to be used. Who do I need to send it to?

Sean

Attachments

• Assembled Ignition System.jpg
    Assembled Ignition System.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Disassembled Ignition System.jpg
    Disassembled Ignition System.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Dyna 2000.jpg
    Dyna 2000.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Ignition Components.jpg
    Ignition Components.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 42
  • Misc Adapters.jpg
    Misc Adapters.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 43
Your really something.... The Man!

I'm working on a slimmer version of pic 1 this weekend. Only using 1 switch and a 2 mag rotor 180 apart. Not sure if Mark can use bits and pieces to do some experimenting in the mean while.

Have you ever tried or know of anybody that has tried the DYNA setup? I've always wondered if it could be tricked into working. Depends on what they do with the incoming signal.

If you'd like to see if that Dyna setup can be made to work. Send it my way and I'll have my electronic engineer friends at work put a signal generator to it to see if they can modify it internally to make it work. Another way would be use two of those spread 70 degrees apart.

Other than that lets see what Mark thinks he might be able to use first hand to get going.

Latest posts

Back