DIY plastic welding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42Below

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRCMIDILfEI

This video is good and you only need a cheap soldering iron as low wattage is the key. Try it but use a mask as the fumes are very toxic.

While doing some work I found my front guard was cracked under the fork brace. Im going to repaint anyway as its an 02 and fake carbon isnt my thing. After repair the welds are hidden but Ill paint anyway.

I used cable tie remains as 'welding rods', it works well.

I also repaired a cracked hearth shovel for practice, then a busted toy. Brownie points!

I've actually got a plastic welding kit with forced hot air that is a bit tricky to use but i've done it before. This might be a good option too. Keep in mind that you can't always use any plastic to repair any other plastic unless it's the same basic compound.

I've done plastic repair on a gas tank with a soldiering iron before. Ended up working out, but you have to make sure the plastics are compatible.

Zip ties can be made from nylon, polypropylene, and various other plastics.

I have seen people put little bits of steel cable into the plastic as they're working it to increase strength like rebar.

Agree with the above.
My damage was all under the fork brace so didnt even tidy it up much. When I get to painting it Ill worry about that.
Fixng the brush and shovel set was just for practise and fun, just to see if I could do it

Latest posts

Back