Attaching breather hose

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just put the airbox back in place after cleaning the carbs and can't figure out to save my life how to re-attach the crankcase breather hose to the underside of the airbox. Can't find a way to reach it. What tricks do you guys have up our sleeves? Thanks!
PS: Apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere in the forum. Did a quick search but couldn't find an answer.

It is the bane of all Vmax owners and even get worse it you have a stage 7 crankcase breather hose to add to the issue.
I usually use a set of long reach pliers to wiggle the hose onto the airbox nipple. I use a screw type hose clamp to make sure it doesn't come off.

Thanks Brian. From where on the bike to you approach it? From the sides ("thru" the carbs) or from the back (like behind the coolant container)? Or from the "top", by trying to attach the hose to the airbox before actually placing the airbox? Cheers!

Pull the coolant bottle out and go through that space from the seat towards the front of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull the coolant bottle out and go through that space from the seat towards the front of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1.
Pull the coolant reservoir. It definitely helps.

The OEM hose is flimsy. It collapses under minimal pressure. After installing a Muscle jet kit, that hose is replaced with heavier stuff and is easier to install IMO.

I use a worm drive hose clamp to secure. A really long screwdriver or 1/4" drive socket with a long extension works to tighten it up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

+1 Brian, I use a screw type hose clamp too. That way I can get a long screwdriver in there, I also get in from the coolant tank area. Hemostats work on the OEM clamp well. The first time I did it, new swears were invented. I have it set up so I can easily connect to my stage 7 container. Like Mike said, the OEM hose can be improved on with some sturdy fuel hose. And if you thought that was fun under the air box, wait until you screw with the clamp on the bottom of the hose. Lol. It gets easier, kind of like listening to a pretty girl's stories just to get lucky.

I have Seans kit, and instead of the flimsy hose, i have 1/2 inch fuel line (I believe) its stout enough, that I can just pull the airbox off, make certain that when i put the airbox back on, that the nipple fits in the hose, and just push it all back together.

Thanks Brian. From where on the bike to you approach it? From the sides ("thru" the carbs) or from the back (like behind the coolant container)? Or from the "top", by trying to attach the hose to the airbox before actually placing the airbox? Cheers!

Like the others I remove the coolant overflow tank and also use a heavier duty hose after the "T" where the stage 7 hose meets the factory crankcase vent hose. Like Eric mentioned it allows the air box to somewhat slide but I still use the long pliers to keep it from moving,

Last edited:
Replace the OE part with some heater hose.
Start to push down on the air-box and position the spigot over the hose.
The thicker wall diameter means it does not collapse as you fully seat the box.
Also apply some silicon or rubber grease to the air-box rubbers and hose.

As already mentioned getting the overflow tank out the way gives better access.

Thanks to all for the tips! I managed to attach the hose to the airbox. For everyone's benefit I took some pictures of the steps I took. See attached.

Attachments

• ATTACHING CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSE TO AIRBOX.pdf
    624.6 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back