May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, found the ones you were talking about. Needed to go to ebay.com not ebay.ca. Forget sometimes that the products listed are different.

Thx, will keep my eye out over the winter as I think I may just give these a shot. Will also give some of the local salvage yards a shout, would like to get a set with the wiring attached like you said.

No problem. When ya get ready, lemme know. I may be able to find ya a set with the pig tails. IIRC, i picked up my set for $75 shipped with the pig tails. Makes for a nice easy install. With more time, might can find a set a little cheaper. I've been on several Motorcycle and dragracing boards and i'm well known. Can find all kinds of neat stuff on there...

Wasted spark refers to the factory ignition system firing each cyl TWICE, once on the compression stroke(which make the big boom and makes power) and once on the exhaust stroke which does nothing and is a "waste". This is the easy way out for the manufaturer to do it. Works well enough, just makes more work for the coils.

I just wired them up to see if it all worked. I plan to wrap those wires in a loom or somesuch.
I wanted to eliminate as much "clutter" as i could and this definately fits the bill.

Is this true, our ignition puts out 2 sparks per cycle:ummm::ummm::ummm:

Yes it is true that our ignition produces spark 2x. Once at the end of the compression stroke and again during the exhaust stroke.

Never knew that.

Guess the other question I have is how does the resistance of the new COP compare to the OEM coils and caps??? The OEM is supposed to read 23K ohms when added all together between caps and secondary windings in coil. From my understanding this is supposed to suppress RFI that would mess up the TCI.
Cheers

They would have to be RFI suppressed somehow. The electronics in the Hayabusa, GSXR et al would be much more susceptable to interference than the CDI box on the Max I would think.

Re: May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option. COP(Coil On Plug)

I'm doing a little testing, but it looks like i may have found a pretty cheap(and WAY cool) coil/wire replacement option for the V-Max. stk.

hmm, here I wuz thinkin' I'm the only one lookin' at this mod:blink000:.

picked up the R1 set last month of ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=250285115389 figured it had to work. Since they are COP, should be no EFI issues with the CDI. So far I have no issues, but I had not done much ridding so I didn't want to post yet.
I am in Florida and the bike is NC so I can't post picks for a week.
I used part of the stock harness and put braided metal cable over the wires to protect and keep any electrical interference at bay.

Re: May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option. COP(Coil On Plug)

Those look to be the same as the ones i'm useing. Great deal with the harness. The wires feeding the coils will not cause any interferance. No need for shielding except for heat/looks. The wires will prolly see less heat on the V-Max than on the inline 4 applications they were originally on.

Now are all years a dual fire design because when I ran my bike on the dyno we hooked up the inductive pick-up and it read the rpms perfect but when we ran my buddies 03 xl1200 with dual fire it read 2x the actual rpms so we had to change the pulses per rev. so that is why i ask?

Latest posts

Back