LED Headlight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just swapped the headlight out for LED’s. I chose the GENSSI 5 3/4 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight DOT 80 Watt, link below. This light got good reviews and in anticipation of having to fab up a way to mount it the flat back panel on the light held on with four screws looked like an opportunity.

I used 1 ¼” X 3/32” cold rolled steel which I mounted to the back of the light using the top two screws. Then I bent both sides right at 75 degrees and drilled four 6-32 holes in the stock bezel to position it.

It's plenty bright with a sharp cutoff on the low beam and the high beam is nuclear! :punk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GET94PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have photos of the mounting apparatus?

Gentsvmax, Very interested in doing some type of upgrade like this, almost half my riding is done when it is dark out. I've heard the Daymaker makes a big difference from the Harley crowd. Do you have part #'s. Do you have any problems with on coming traffic with the low beam? Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Hi, yea for sure no flashing, in fact I can stand say ten, twenty feet in front of this light and look right into it! On the bike the light has a really wide left and right side spread for turning and one hell of a long bright high beam, you won't out run this light. I'll get you that HD part# when I get to my garage. The guy I got it from did tell me even before I bought it from him, pretty honest, that the after market Daymaker look alike's can be just as bright, they just don't stand up to the vibration of a Harley. No worries there with the Vmax. I do know of a look alike with a white halo, those look cool but are not at all bright. This was an easy mod, the flat back panel style light is well secured in the old school clamp style bucket.

Hi, yea for sure no flashing, in fact I can stand say ten, twenty feet in front of this light and look right into it! On the bike the light has a really wide left and right side spread for turning and one hell of a long bright high beam, you won't out run this light. I'll get you that HD part# when I get to my garage. The guy I got it from did tell me even before I bought it from him, pretty honest, that the after market Daymaker look alike's can be just as bright, they just don't stand up to the vibration of a Harley. No worries there with the Vmax. I do know of a look alike with a white halo, those look cool but are not at all bright. This was an easy mod, the flat back panel style light is well secured in the old school clamp style bucket.
Thank you Sir, look forward to it!

Thank you for the info gentsvmax, will see what I can figure out. May have some questions as I progress!

I also have high output bulbs and ceramic sockets for your stock light.

The L.E.D. Daymaker, Bikemaster and the H.I.D.s I have used really look cool, especially that Daymaker and put out great light. Now my brother has an old Kawisaki police bike and an unmolested Vmax, both running an incandescent high wattage bulb. I.M.H.O., those are a brighter light and it seem's the color is a more natural light that doesn't take a"getting used too".

I also have high output bulbs and ceramic sockets for your stock light.
one2dmax, What do you carry and recommend if staying with the stock light bucket? I am in the process of buying a used bucket to see what it would take to modify it to accept a "daymaker" type LED assembly. In your opinion is the light output of the high output bulbs comparable to the LED types? I prefer to keep the stock look if and as much as possible but there has to be a way to get a higher light output. Thanks in advance for any info!

The stock bulb is a 55/60 watt setup. Our high output setup is a 90/130 (and a few 100/140) watt bulbs so a LOT more light. That creates heat which is why we have ceramic sockets to replace the stock plastic one. It's cheaper (at $40) and easier to install. I have also done a few LED conversions including some halo kits. Some of the daymaker stuff if they have a large back require significant mod to the bucket and I have hear some even use silicon to hold them all in place.

Best to email me at [email protected]

Here's some examples in our Morleys Muscle Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Morleys-Muscle-282702488678/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10151050034413679

Hi, I do That mod, really nice lamp.

Attachments

• IMG-20200115-WA0100.jpeg
    IMG-20200115-WA0100.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20200115-WA0098.jpeg
    IMG-20200115-WA0098.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200118_155313.jpg
    20200118_155313.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 94
I do like the Stock look, so I added some LED's I got from Amazon.

I'm using the Katana H4 LEDs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM421VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
I bought a ton of LEDs to compare and those were the best ones in terms of Light Beam and Brightness.

I'm using the H7 version in my BMW for Low and High Beam and I like them.
Had HID in my BMW as Lowbeam before and a different set of LEDs for High Beam, but not as bright as it is now.

My Vulcan has this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LXCS0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old thread but what did you use for the spacer on the mount in between the 2 bucket “lugs” and were you able to fit the turn and headlight wires inside the bucket?

Dont know what he used but it looks good. I believe i cut the end off an old 7/8" handle bar. All the wires will fit.

Dont know what he used but it looks good. I believe i cut the end off an old 7/8" handle bar. All the wires will fit.
Awesome thanks for the heads up. I have my stock handlebars still if I can’t find a thing decent at the hardware store

Latest posts

Back