1988 with oil leak from head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Mike

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member out of necessity! I need to pick the collective brains of the forum.

With no previous issues of any type I started up my '88 Max and while letting it warm up noticed a bit of smoke from the front left, oil dripping from the left front motor mount onto the pipe. I traced the oil up to the small hole in the front head that up to now I thought was simply there to let water, rain etc drain away from the plug. I have searched with a good light and a small mirror and cannot determine where the oil is coming from. The valve cover gasket isn't leaking, the head isn't leaking, the coolant return from the head isn't leaking - no clues whatsoever. The bike runs very well with no issues, and the leak doesn't appear to be under pressure, more of an oozing than anything else.

Ideas, suggestions?

Check the front left intake bolt. It goes into an oil galley and needs to have sealant on the threads to keep that oil in there. It's just at the base of the chrome plastic intake cover.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Check the front left intake bolt. It goes into an oil galley and needs to have sealant on the threads to keep that oil in there. It's just at the base of the chrome plastic intake cover.

Wouldn't that result in oil leaking out past the bolt threads to the intake manifold oil ring on the mating surface and from there down between the cylinders? The bolt is no where near long enough to protrude to the location where I'm seeing the oil leaking from.

Clean the whole area down and when it's dry powder it with talcum powder. Start the bike and let it warm up, you should clearly see where the oil leak is starting from (PS: too much powder can get messy)

I suggest the head cover gasket as the culprit, oil will slowly seep out and down the front/side of the head. Then, while you're riding the air will blow this back up between the fins. When you stop it will find it's way forward again and drip onto your exhaust

EDIT: if the oil is coming out from the gasket above the spark plug then this will certainly make it's way out the drain hole you described

EDIT EDIT: you may have checked that area already, is your spark plug tight? could be blow-by from the cylinder out through the plug threads

EDIT: if the oil is coming out from the gasket above the spark plug then this will certainly make it's way out the drain hole you described

I hit the entire area with brake clean and wiped it down so the source may show up better when I start it up again.

As far the wind pushing the oil; it wasn't being ridden at the time. The confusing part is there was no earlier evidence of a leak...happened out of the blue as it warmed up in my garage.

As far as oil out past the plug...if I had that much blow-by I would expect to see some of it burning out the tailpipe, no? The amount is similar in size to syrup running off your pancakes. About the same speed too, oozes.

Oil level is also good in the motor, not overfilled. Breather is open, not plugged. No oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil. Motor runs as strong as always otherwise.

The mystery continues. Suggestions are still very much welcomed.

I used foot powder spray instead of talc. It's way easier to get where you want it and should dry white so you can really see where your leak is.

Back