Fuel pump caused the fire!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
OK, kinda suspected so. I bought one of those $60 aftermarket fuel pumps, and I dismanteled the old burnt pump to use the original end plate with tubes in the right direction, and the original mount with studs.

Good news is that all the parts easily interchange, for a new factory like pump on the cheap.
20150301_164413.jpg
The pump diaphram in the original pump was badly cracked, allowing raw fuel to exit the pump motor thru the sparking relay points. No wonder it caught fire.
Also, one of the check valve rubbers was dislodged, causing the pump to cycle continuosly.
20150301_164327-1.jpg
The other bad news is, The wiring harness I bought off Ebay that was advertized as for a 1985, turned out to be for a 1990 and up, so is of no use to me.

Still in the market for a harness.

Motor and frame paint has been re-touched and looks great.

OK, kinda suspected so. I bought one of those $60 aftermarket fuel pumps, and I dismanteled the old burnt pump to use the original end plate with tubes in the right direction, and the original mount with studs.

Good news is that all the parts easily interchange, for a new factory like pump on the cheap.
View attachment 47831
The pump diaphram in the original pump was badly cracked, allowing raw fuel to exit the pump motor thru the sparking relay points. No wonder it caught fire.
Also, one of the check valve rubbers was dislodged, causing the pump to cycle continuosly.
View attachment 47830
The other bad news is, The wiring harness I bought off Ebay that was advertized as for a 1985, turned out to be for a 1990 and up, so is of no use to me.

Still in the market for a harness.

Motor and frame paint has been re-touched and looks great.

Glad to hear the pump worked out I have been thinking about buying one of them & hoping the parts would interchange. I might buy a couple now.

Glad to hear the pump worked out I have been thinking about buying one of them & hoping the parts would interchange. I might buy a couple now.

It is the same exact design of pump as far as internals, just different mounts and plumbing.

I was impressed to find that the new pump was sealed with a full charge of napthia that drained out when I cracked it open. Sign of a quality manufacturer to take the xtra step to purge and preserve the pump this way.

Back