New Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekberg

Reaction score
I know they are new, but has anyone mounted these new Michelin Commander II tires. They look like the best competition for Metzeler 880s. I like how hard the Metzelers are but they just don't get great traction (back tire). I can roast them in third. The michelins look good too and have the 170 rear for the MAX.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 0000-Michelin-Commander-II-Cruiser-Rear-Tire---.jpg
    0000-Michelin-Commander-II-Cruiser-Rear-Tire---.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 32
It looks to have a nice round profile with a nice tread pattern, if indeed that is the bias ply tire dipicted. The Commander series offers a radial as well.

The Michelin Commander II tire are currently available in the following sizes:

Michelin Commander II Rear
  • 140/90 B15 76H Reinforced
  • 150/90 B15 74H
  • 170/80 B15 77H
  • 130/90 B16 73H Reinforced
  • 150/80 B16 77H Reinforced
  • 140/90 B16 77H Reinforced
  • 180/65 B16 81H Reinforced
  • 140/75 R17 67V Radial
  • 160/70 B17 73V
  • 200/55 R17 78V Radial
B = Bias Ply
R = Radial

This info came Michelin Here:
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=commander
And from a Review of these Tires here:
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012/michelin-commander-ii-cruiser-tires-test

Last edited:
Speed rating 'H' is too low for the Max, in some (most) countries this will invalidate your insurance.

Also, does this tire come in our front size of 110/90-18? I like matching front and rear when I can..

No, it doesn't come in a size we can use up front.
But this one does:
Michelin Pilot Activ (Bias Ply)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

And I've personally haven't had a Front and rear Matching Set in at least 5 years.
I just always make sure I have a Good Quality Front tire.
I'm currently running the Shinko 230 TourMaster Rear and Metzeler Lasertec Front.
And while I do prefer a V Rated Tire, it's Extremely rare that I get over 120 mph anymore and Issurance isn't affected by using the H Rated Tire in the States.

Last edited:
Unless your gonna be chasing your buddies on their crotch rockets for over 1/2 hour at speeds over 130....H is fine.

I have my very first set of H rated tires on...Pirrelli Routes....because I was tired of just getting less than 3K miles out of the Qualifiers and Shinkos..........
and they do 150 just fine, handle just as good (more sidewall) and hold up a lot longer in the middle.

Unless your gonna be chasing your buddies on their crotch rockets for over 1/2 hour at speeds over 130....H is fine.

I have my very first set of H rated tires on...Pirrelli Routes....because I was tired of just getting less than 3K miles out of the Qualifiers and Shinkos..........
and they do 150 just fine, handle just as good (more sidewall) and hold up a lot longer in the middle.

+1, lots of H rated tires on Vmax's. Anyone herd of a problem
with H rated? I haven't.
Steve-o

+1, lots of H rated tires on Vmax's. Anyone herd of a problem
with H rated? I haven't.
Steve-o

I totally agree - no problem riding.

BUT, in countries like Europe and Australia, the wrong rated tire (especially lower rating) will invalidate your insurance, so if anything at all ever happens to you and an insurance 'expert' notices the rating, you can instantly kiss goodbye to your claim.

200-55R17.... sweet :)
I should still have enough clearance my 190 still has room :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I have the Michelin Commander II's on my bike front and rear matching, front is stock size, rear is a 170/15 Bias ply and fits with no mods. Half a summer on both and they still look brand new, really nice feel on the road, they grip well both on dry, hard cornering, and cut water well, and are supposed to last longer than the dunlop, balancing was super easy,UNFORTUNATELY no white walls!! The matching set was available in the US last summer, the front was the hard one to find because of its unique size...Im going to get another set, you never know when or why they stop making them. it took a little while to find a supplier to get the pair up to Canada.

What size are you running front and rear?

I can only find a 170 80 R15 for the rear.

Back