88 vmax build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred*

Reaction score
so im finally finishing up some other bike projects and i wanna get started on my vmax, the thing runs fantastic, but its developed some small leaks around around the valve cover and its been stored outside for long periods of its life to so it could use some freshening up, and while i have it apart i really wanna build the engine up a little nicer, im tired of getting beat by 600cc bullet bikes.
im curious what can be done to these engines without adding a blower or a turbo(already have another turbo bike project and wow, that one is time consuming) i wanna have this done riding by the time spring is here.. im really having trouble finding any kind of parts for this bike, id like to get high compression pistons but cant find those anywhere.. what id really like to do is raise the compression and the port and polish everything..what id love is in the range of 140-150 rwhp
do yall even think thats possible on a stock bore size? i cant find a big bore option for sale

and as far as raising the compression, since i cant find high compression pistons could i get away with milling a little off the head and then milling a little off the bottom of the cylinder? or is the head to domed to achieve this?

ive been seeing things about pcw bikes? but i really cant find anything out about them, other then it looks like pcw makes their own parts for a vmax kind of like ufo

all i know is im not even close to keeping up with the gen 2 vmaxs, and i see people on gen 1 vmaxs pulling power wheelies with the flip of thier wrist, my front tire only comes up if i have a passenger on the back, and even then at full throttle its only a few inches

im building a custom exhaust, still working out the details, either going to be a 4-4 or 4-2.. im thinking 4-4 headers straight to these custom glass packs i make, just to quiet it down a little, along with modding the intake
sorry if this is in the wrong area, just wanted to see what yall think is possible cuz these engines are sweet, im straight piped right now and i cant get over how sexy it sounds

4-4 will lose power due to scavenging issues. Pcw makes some big-bore motors at least up to 1500. They do great work, as does Sean Morley (One2dmax). This is a nice can of worms you're opening. 150rwhp is doable, but not at stock bore as far as I know. Search in the engine forum on here and you'll find enough info to make you cross-eyed.

Let us know what you end up doing no matter what.

ya i finally found what i was looking for! not to get decided on what i want (and to sell my jeep to pay for it) looks like for my year engine i can send my engine to them and get back a running 1500 engine for about 7 grande, yikes, little more then i was looking to spend, not looking to build a drag bike, more of a sleeper cruiser (big handle bars, windshield, sissy bar, maybe saddle bags) but i found all the big bore kits they offer, i think i found the kit i like its a 1327cc kit, raises the c/r to 12:1 and looks like i can get away with keeping my carbs, just jetting them right, can get the pistons with sleeves for about $900

theres also a 1500cc kit with 11:1 c/r with sleeves for a little over $900, but i feel like that would only make a few more hp over the 1327 high compression kit, and the 1500cc would probably need new carbs, the other kits need new rods which runs another $1200, but thats where they get into the 200hp range which, well that would be awesome but this bike already handles so bad, that much power id kill myself

if i could have the parts for under $1500 with gaskets, cam chains ect id be happy and can do all the machine work here

gotta go to work but ill read more into this later tonight, maybe try and get ahold of pcw

im still in the air n the exhaust, with what i had in mind, i like the look of 4-4, but your probably right cuz its not like im going to be drag racing this..though i may go to the track a few times..still for street riding 4-4 would be inefficient

Big bore?

Someone who makes all the party-goers leave early? :confused2:

Or, this?:clapping:

And, what better way to party than with some 'laughing gas?':rofl_200:

Speed costs $$$$

Attachments

• iphone pictures 6-26-2014 023.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 023.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 70
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 025.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 025.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 65
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 231.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 231.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 70
We can help you out too. The power has an almost direct correlation to the cc's. The bigger you go the more power you make. But, at 1500cc (85mm bore) you have additonal head work to make it work well and you have thinner cylinder walls.

The 1428cc (83mm bore) is one of the better choices. I have new (and maybe a used kit) available.

Sean

Back