V-Max vs. GSX-R 1000 Trash Talk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
So a guy at work and I are debating who's bike is quicker in the 1/4 mile. We plan to settle this on May 1 at a drag race here in Hungary. I've looked at his specs and it's not looking good for me. He's about 30 pounds lighter than me and his bike is rated at 160 HP, and my V-Max is 146 HP. Of course, his bike is MUCH lighter.

Any thoughts?

Change it to a stop light to stop light race and own him! A Shorai battery and loosing another 20 lbs (if possible, either bike or body, but dont give up beer and hot wings, a mans gotta live!)

You'd be better off trying to match a GSXR600 in the 1/4.

If everything else was equal, aerodynamics alone would give the GSXR the win.

I love the Vmax. It's probably my favorite motorcycle. But having also owned modern liter bikes, I can tell you that there is no comparison

I could always get my brother on his FZ1(w Dale Walker Mods) out of the hole but by the end of 2nd gear he was gone. He had 100 lbs on me, and his bike 125 lighter too. We used to race at this 1 mile long abandoned Army Air Field and he would be completely stopped before I had to even hit the brakes! My mph was ~135, his was 160 or better. My bike has a Marks exhaust and Sean's Muscle jet kit.

I could always get my brother on his FZ1(w Dale Walker Mods) out of the hole but by the end of 2nd gear he was gone. He had 100 lbs on me, and his bike 125 lighter too. We used to race at this 1 mile long abandoned Army Air Field and he would be completely stopped before I had to even hit the brakes! My mph was ~135, his was 160 or better. My bike has a Marks exhaust and Sean's Muscle jet kit.

With my own brother, I don't take on his k1300 on his terms. On the top end he leaves me. I'll take a roll on to him from 30 to 100 anytime. Off the line I kill him too. You've got to pick your battles and utilize what you've got. Great torque and a bike that launches like a missle.

Yeah, I figured. I rode the same bike as his a few years ago with modified ignition and exhaust. It was VERY hard to keep the front wheel on the pavement. The throttle response was so sharp, it was uncomfortable riding at a steady 60 MPH. The bike was jerking almost with my pulse in my hand.

BUT... My buddy sat on my bike while idling. He revved it and said, "Man, this thing sounds sick!" He was impressed. :biglaugh:

Change it to a stop light to stop light race and own him! A Shorai battery and loosing another 20 lbs (if possible, either bike or body, but dont give up beer and hot wings, a mans gotta live!)

+1, and, after market exhaust will lighten the load too. DD clutch and tuned the best possible. 1/8 mile would be better too than 1/4.

I've beaten a lot of Litre bikes in the 1/8. 1000's and 600's. I would say mostly because of the driver. In the 1/4 they have time to correct and blow past me. Stick with light to light or 1/8th mile.

Act like a typical HD rider and tell him you had to work overtime after you pull a NO SHOW on race day. Then ignore him from then on. Or stall him indefinitely while you brag of all the add-on equipment you are going to buy and install, but somehow, never do. :confused2:

The only way you'll take him is if sucks as a rider, he misses a shift and has a crappy reaction.... other wise.... pull a spark plug wire on him! Then you would be more even.

A stock gsxr 1000 will make around 140-145 hp at the rear wheel. A stock Vmax will make around 105-110 at the rear wheel. Even a modified exhaust, carbs etc on a Vmax will only net around 118-125 hp at the rear wheel. Some have been lucky with as high as 130 hp at the rear wheel. Still well shy of a stock gsxr 1000. Add a pipe and fuel map etc and your making around 150-160 hp at the rear wheel of a 1000.

A stock 600 is more than a challenge for a Vmax. You will get them out of the hole if your lucky, but they will reel you in by the end of a 1/4.

About the only thing you can do cheap to make a substanial gain in hp on a Gen 1 Vmax is put a bottle on it and set it to 30-40 hp and call it a day. Then you'll be almost even up with a 1000 in terms of power output.

Even the torque is higher for the GSXR1000. They are right around 80 ft lbs. A good Vmax will make around 72-77 ft lbs. Al be it lower in the rpm range than a 1000.

A wet weight on a GSXR 1k is around 450-60 lbs. So its about 110 lbs lighter than a comparable Vmax. That alone right there is enough to spank the Vmax hard.

But its wheel base! The Vmax rocks it out with a 63 inche wheel base! GSXR 1K have a 53 inch wheel base. Thats like having a 10 inch stretch swingarm on a vmax. You better launch that sucker hard and use that advantage!

Launch that sucker at 3800-4200 rpm, roll the clutch out for the first 20 feet and twist the throttle as you do, when you have the clutch full out, your throttle hand should be pinned.

If you can't cut a good 60 ft, you'll be history.

My old GSXR 750 92 oil boiler would run right up with the fastest Vmax I ever owned. Both ran 10.80's. Thats old school 750... lol.

Todd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXJIdeQEuU

If you know drag racing you would totally tell he was pulling me in hard. He would have probably passed me in the 1/4 mile, but had to left off due to not having leathers. He only had jeans on . His 1/8 mile was still faster than my 1/8. I just cut better lights and had better 60 ft 's than he did. I race alot and I can ride. Toss me on a 600 and I ll smoke just about any Gen 1 Vmax out there that is stock or close to stock, or even modified stock bore/stroke.

Bottom line... CHEAT.... ;)

Act like a typical HD rider and tell him you had to work overtime after you pull a NO SHOW on race day. Then ignore him from then on. Or stall him indefinitely while you brag of all the add-on equipment you are going to buy and install, but somehow, never do. :confused2:

:rofl_200:

act like a typical hd rider and tell him you had to work overtime after you pull a no show on race day. Then ignore him from then on. Or stall him indefinitely while you brag of all the add-on equipment you are going to buy and install, but somehow, never do. :confused2:

pmsl

I would stick to the challenge and give it your all and do best 2 out of three. I know my B king is alot faster than a gen 1 vmax and is faster than a gen2 in the 1/4 mile but Tom won a race against me on his gen1. I had 160 rear wheel hp to put on the ground and it went up in smoke in first and than popped up in the air in second Tom cut a high 11 and i cut a real high 11 so if he dont put it on the ground you have a great chance to win and if he not the best drag racer you have a great chance to win and if you dont win it will still be one of the funnest day or your life. If you havent been to the track yourself if i was you i would go at least 10 passes before you race him hell even if you have been before go do 10 passes the weekend before so you are ready to lay it down. I have alot of seat time on a vmax at the drag strip but this new to me in my face HP is alot to deal with and i cant wait to master it at the track. The best part will be having all kinds of fun with hooligans i ride with. Don't be like a non-typical HD rider i only say non-typical because most are good people but i agree some are ass-hole's Be a true vmax hooligan and join your buddy at the track and let the hooligan inside of you fly. win or lose a day at the track with a hooligan buddy is always a win. I tell this to everyone the best race is with yourself. find out what you weigh in gear on your bike with 1/4 tank of gas and what your rear wheel hp is than use this http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php And you will know how fast a perfect run for you is. Go to the track and try to get as close to that number as you can. Good luck and have lots of hooligan fun.

Back in 1986 in california the 1985 vmax went up against the 1986 gsxr 1100 in Motorcyclist Magazine called "KING OF THE HILL"- The vmax lost by almost 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile.

Back in 1986 in california the 1985 vmax went up against the 1986 gsxr 1100 in Motorcyclist Magazine called "KING OF THE HILL"- The vmax lost by almost 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile.
And the 1st gen vmax hasn't gotten any faster since then. I'm pretty sure the gsxr has.

Latest posts

Back