Custom Exhaust Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a113ycat

Reaction score
I know the comparison in the bikes is like comparing a Moose to an Eagle however Im going to ask this question anyway. :ummm:

Has anyone ever attempted or successfully done an exhaust mod on a Gen 1 Max that resembles the Suzuki RG Gamma? Both are 4 cylinder bikes and even though the Gamma is not a V 4 the idea seems like it would work.
The video is to see how the pipes run around the frame of the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWxHGHM0CTU

I think that this would look spectacular with the V-Max Im working on with a true 4 into 4 set up 2 pipes high and 2 low.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome and especially if this has been successfully achieved.

Of course I am keeping in mind that the fuel cell would need to be in a different place or at least cut down for clearance of the pipe and the that would mean finding another secondary fuel storage place possibly an airbox mod. Im planning on stripping this bike down to the ground and rebuilding it with the best of everything I can think of. Its the love of the machine that drives the design.

I think the only real issue would be to keep everything balanced....IE....all 4 pipes should be the same length. Thats the difference between cheap headers....and true "tuned" headers that cost a bit more.

I think the only real issue would be to keep everything balanced....IE....all 4 pipes should be the same length. Thats the difference between cheap headers....and true "tuned" headers that cost a bit more.

Thats exactly what my welder was telling me. He also mentioned that we would definitely have to do a stage kit on the carbs too. I was thinking about doing a permanent Boost "on" mod as well. My previous '85 was set up that way as well as having the regulator mod done. I liked the performance better than the stock set up I had on my '95

I true 4-4 is going to make shit power. About 10% or more less then stock will be my prediction. Maybe closer to 20% loss. Might look cool. Also not going to sound as good but to each their own. I bet it will look cool though.

Very few bikes have the same ignition sequence as the vmax which is part of what gives it the distinctive sound.

I true 4-4 is going to make shit power. About 10% or more less then stock will be my prediction. Maybe closer to 20% loss. Might look cool. Also not going to sound as good but to each their own. I bet it will look cool though.

Very few bikes have the same ignition sequence as the vmax which is part of what gives it the distinctive sound.

You have a very good point about the power loss. I was hoping to find that sweet spot of form and function. It may be the trade off that I was afraid of. Kind of sad, I was drawing it up and it was looking good. This reminds me of the old redneck addage

" Hold my beer, I been practicing this in my head an I think it'll work...." :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Would that be due to lack of exhaust scavenging?

I was kinda wondering that too. In the 4 stroke engine you got

Suck
Squeeze
Bang
Blow

The same 4 attributes I look for in a woman. :rofl_200: Never been much of a 2 stroke fan, I was thinking in my original idea that if you had all for working in conjunction then essentially you could have each cylinder pulling it own and not loose to the power god and the monkey would get a "fix"

Exactly. Without some scavenging you get too much reversion and less available cylinder space for fresh fuel/oxygen. If he could connect two cylinders before going back out to 4 then it would work better. I'd at least try to connect the lefts together and the rights together.

You can make up some of the length difference with a staggered pipe size so the engine will "see" similar flow characteristics from all the cylinders.

So your saying if done correctly and take into consideration for the loss and compensation that there is a chance? ie

cyls 1 & 4 into 1 then separate
cyls 2 & 3 into 1 then separate
which would be a 4 into 2 into 4 scenario it may work? sounds like a challenge but may be doable but are there some serious other mods to do to make room for all that pipe?

:bang head::bang head:

Just wait until I get around to building a rat max Yall will really laugh at the exhaust I have planned for it.

hahahaha awesome!!! Kyle from the last couple of bikes I got from you being the '95 that Fire-Medic helped me get that you delivered and the V-Star 650 that we bought from you that day all I can say is I for one will not be laughing! I havent been let down by you yet!

hahahaha awesome!!! Kyle from the last couple of bikes I got from you being the '95 that Fire-Medic helped me get that you delivered and the V-Star 650 that we bought from you that day all I can say is I for one will not be laughing! I havent been let down by you yet!

Thanks ! It will be wild & I am not worried about power loss one bit . I know it will lose a lot it will just be for people to look at & go WTF

With the 4-4 Cobra setup on my max, I found the loss to be around 10%. Fortunately for me, I am almost never in the RPM range where the power loss occurs on my Max. Now... if I were to get a 2nd Max, that power loss would kill my goals for that one.

As for the sound, I personally like the Cobras. I do know I am the odd one out in this bunch, mind you.

If you do make a custom exhaust like this, I would be interested in seeing the end result.

Latest posts

Back