Would you be hesitant to buy a bike that's been "stored" like this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Gen2 Vmax. I found a '10 with only 4000 miles. The seller said he bought it used in '11 with 3K, and has only put about 1000 miles on it in four years. He says the bike has been kept covered in a storage unit. I asked if he uses fuel stabilizer and he said no, but that the "fuel doesn't last long"--which would lead me to think it gets ridden periodically. But then he said that it gets ridden a couple blocks "once in a while", and started every month during the winter to keep the battery charged.

(The Vmax is about 600 miles away, so having a look at the bike before committing to buy isn't easily doable. Believe it or not, the seller has offered to deliver the bike while on a road trip, but I figure he'd want some kind of deposit at least before loading up the bike for that kind of haul, so I'll have to decide in advance to commit so I don't lose any money or waste his time.)

First, I'm concerned that the fuel may have partially gummed up the injectors. Getting ridden for short trips every couple of months isn't enough to go through a tank of gas very often, and the bike probably isn't seeing anywhere near WOT during that time so the owner probably wouldn't be able to tell if there was anything amiss. I'm worried that partially clogged injectors will result in a lean condition when I'm riding the hell out of the bike, and I'll end up with engine damage.

Second, I'm concerned that all of those short trips mean that even if the bike is idled until it's up to operating temp, the oil would never get hot enough to evaporate condensation or blowby gasses. Also, if the bike is idled up to operating temp it takes longer to get warm which means more time running rich, which means more time for excess fuel to wash past the rings and create extra wear in the cylinder bores.

I'd feel much better about it if the seller said that the bike was stored with fuel stabilizer and that he took it out for a good, hard 20-30 minute ride each time it was exercised.

What do you guys think--are these valid concerns?

I would not be concerned.....especially if it's climate controlled storage space. I've never heard of the injectors getting clogged on one, ever.

It would run like crap with a less than perfect injector....that's is something you would hear and feel immediately. You would not be riding it with the fueling too lean.

As far as excess wear......he hasn't put hardly any miles on it, I don't think a bunch of short rides would have much if any effect. I'd be more concerned if he said he was only using it to commute 5 miles a day round trip for several years. The cylinders have a ceramic coating BTW.

In short it sounds like a bike that will be just fine, and needs to be rescued!

Mark

I would buy it. Most fuel injected vehicles have a "nipple" on the intake plenum somewhere, so that way if there is a clogged injector, you can hook up a cleaner to it and blow it out.

I bought my 09' last winter (winters suck ) with 2300 miles have the the guy do a walk around video with it running at idle and rolling the throttle up . 600 miles for a gen 2 at a super deal would be to me a worth while trip . Cost me around 800 bucks and a long month wait to get mine shipped from Texas.

I'd buy it and run some Seafoam thru it while riding the piss outbof it. My R6 was stored for a whole year straight and only started occasionally and I never had a problem with it. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

I had a 2010 two years ago
it hadnt been run for a year
battery was flat
put in a new battery and fuel and never missed a beat
good luck and enjoy the ride

Ask the guy to do a video of it idling and revving up a bit. That should convince you. Fuel Injection :punk:

You didn't mention the price ???

I met a guy 2 years ago that had a 2008 concours 14. The bike was delivered to him with 6 miles in 2008. He logged on 1 mile. It sat in the corner of his garage with a cover on it from early 2008 until summer 2013. He replaced the battery in the bike, and the key fob. It started on the first turn. I rode the bike another mile down his street, and it ran great. It is now parked in his garage with 8 miles on it. I would not suggest that, but it is kind of a testiment to modern fuel injection.

I met a guy 2 years ago that had a 2008 concours 14. The bike was delivered to him with 6 miles in 2008. He logged on 1 mile. It sat in the corner of his garage with a cover on it from early 2008 until summer 2013. He replaced the battery in the bike, and the key fob. It started on the first turn. I rode the bike another mile down his street, and it ran great. It is now parked in his garage with 8 miles on it. I would not suggest that, but it is kind of a testiment to modern fuel injection.

And a testament to how bad ass Kawasaki makes motors now a days!

Ask the guy to do a video of it idling and revving up a bit. That should convince you. Fuel Injection :punk:

You didn't mention the price ???

Yeah, getting a video of it running is a good idea.

He's asking $11k, and said he will deliver.

I'm a little torn--I've seen used '14s with low miles going for around $12k on EBay and like the idea of a 4-year newer bike, with a bit of warranty left, for only another grand. But I feel bad arguing price with a guy who has offered to deliver, and whose price isn't unreasonable.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

I bought my 1997 with less than 400 miles on it. It sat for years in a garage guy bought it out of spite because wife told him not to ..he rode it a few times said it scared him every time he rode it. I bought the bike it was spotless went through everything and ended up with a new bike... Moral of the story even if it sat for a long time "unless" its out side it should be fine just take some time and go through the bike before you ride it. :punk:

For the record I still have not broke the 8,000 mile mark yet :ummm:

Latest posts

Back