Update on my carb sync

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane_desselle

Reaction score
Well finally got my homemade synchronizer to work. Instead of the plastic gatorade bottles i used two glass pickle jars and it worked perfect. I'm extremely surprised at how much better my bike runs now. Throttle response is much crisper. I only took it for a quick spin down the road but i can tell it feels alot stronger. Hope it isn't raining tomorrow so i can go for a real ride. Will the front wheel come up in first gear without having to clutch it up? My R1 would come up under power in the first 3 gears. I don't expect that from the Max but I'd like to know it'd do it in first gear... I've only had this vmax for about 3 weeks so i haven't really just tested it out yet...still getting used to it. It's a whole different beast than my R1. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and advice about syncing my carbs, everyone!

Yes the front wheel will come up just fine in 1st with out the clutch or you will do a nice rolling burnout one. It may not run like the R1 but the torque curve is a whole lot deifferent

Yes the front wheel will come up just fine in 1st with out the clutch or you will do a nice rolling burnout one. It may not run like the R1 but the torque curve is a whole lot deifferent

Mine must have worse carb issues than I though because I can't get my bike to do either in 1st.

Mine will pull the wheel off the ground (I'd guess about 6-8" or so) under Hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd regularly and I have even had it happen in 3rd a few times.
And it is almost too easy to stand the bike up in 1st gear.
I have a Shinko Tour Master 230 on the back which is really sticky which is definitely a contributing factor.
The less sticky tires tend to want to spin vs popping the front end up.

Vmax mike got pretty good at 2nd gear wheelies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQjElgP744

And ask Beekeeper (aka Tom) about 2nd gear rolling burnouts. ;)

Well finally got my homemade synchronizer to work. Instead of the plastic gatorade bottles i used two glass pickle jars and it worked perfect. I'm extremely surprised at how much better my bike runs now. Throttle response is much crisper. I only took it for a quick spin down the road but i can tell it feels alot stronger. Hope it isn't raining tomorrow so i can go for a real ride. Will the front wheel come up in first gear without having to clutch it up? My R1 would come up under power in the first 3 gears. I don't expect that from the Max but I'd like to know it'd do it in first gear... I've only had this vmax for about 3 weeks so i haven't really just tested it out yet...still getting used to it. It's a whole different beast than my R1. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and advice about syncing my carbs, everyone!
How did you get the stripped a/f screw out?

Yeah I've got the Metzlers and without using the clutch I cant do either :confused2:

My throttle response is kind of slow and i think I'm due for a carb cleaning but c'mon.... Its a vmax!

I've had 3 Maxs' and none of them would easily lift the front, not compared to any sport bike at least, you have to be careful NOT to lift the front of an R1 and on the max I've never accidentally done it. I can get the front up if I take it to about 5000rpm, hold it there a second and then pop the throttle with a gentle pull on the bars. I can't imagine a stock max lifting in 3rd, I'd like to see it. I've never met anyone that thinks the Max lifts the front "almost too easily". I guess if your a big guy on a modified bike it would make a big difference. Vmax Mike doesn't look small. I'm 135lbs.

Matt

Hell, im 230 lbs and ill pop the front in 1st n 2nd on a slightly lowered bike (1" front, .5" rear), 3rd gear too with any of my lady friends on the back, lol.

I went out today just to see how mine went.

Type 1 - First gear, about 5000rpm and a touch of the clutch up she comes easy enough.
Type 2 - First gear bike idling along I gave it full throttle and whilst the front goes light it didn't come off the ground. A very aggressive change to second did get the front wheel off the ground slightly.

Aggressive clutch dumps spin the rear and sometimes the front comes up a bit but I don't call that a wheelie. Have to agree with my countryman on this, Maxes don't wheelie unexpectedly!

Apologies for the slight thread derail..

I regularly lifted the front end through 1st and second gear at the drag strip. I felt it and I was also told by several people:punk:

Well, as soon as i ride my bike again I'm gonna wring it out and I'll let yall know if i can get the front end up. Now that my carbs are synced, my throttle response feels much quicker so maybe I'll getbsome air. We'll see. I'm almost scared to ride the shit out of in second gear because of all the 2nd gear horror stories I've heard on here.

1st gear 4000 rpm adjust your ass on the seat properly be pointed straight and she'll come up for sure ! Just watch out when the boost kicks in she'll wanna go over. I do it all the time. :punk:

No problems doing sky high wheelies here. Just ask a few of the guys that have ridden with me (except maybe in the last couple of "tame" years).

Well ,Sean, looks like I'm gonna have to send my carbs to you. What's your email? I talked to you earlier on the phone and you were saying that you needed me to email you a pic of something to do with the jets? Call me tomorrow if you can and explain to me in further detail exactly what you need and so we can discuss the deal. Thanks!

[email protected]

Post up a pic of the needles (which are in the slide). Just so i can make sure we get you setup properly. Remove the slide and needle and take a quick picture. May be able to also pull back the slide in the mouth of the carb and take a picture as I can identify it that way too.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=36439&highlight=needles

From Maleko89's sticky:
attachment.php
Stage Stage 1, Stage 7 (Dynojet); Factory Performance & stock
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3208

Mine will pull the wheel off the ground (I'd guess about 6-8" or so) under Hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd regularly and I have even had it happen in 3rd a few times.
And it is almost too easy to stand the bike up in 1st gear.
I have a Shinko Tour Master 230 on the back which is really sticky which is definitely a contributing factor.
The less sticky tires tend to want to spin vs popping the front end up.

Vmax mike got pretty good at 2nd gear wheelies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQjElgP744

And ask Beekeeper (aka Tom) about 2nd gear rolling burnouts. ;)

Dman nice video... Man wish it warm up soon love to be out on the bike.

Latest posts

Back