Harlan shift light setup?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
I have a Harlan shift light on the way and have a quick question. I've got the installation and mounting figured out, but have a question about the actual programing of the light. I know I need to set it to 2 cylinder due to the firing order....in doing that, do I need to cut the RPM turn on in half, or are they independant of each other? So...set for a 2 cylinder while on a 4 cylinder, will I set the light at 9500ish or 4700ish? Thanks in advance.

Rpm is rpm and independent of cylinder setting. Set the number of cylinders and then set your rpms.

Yep set your RPM to the actual RPM that you want after setting it to the 2 cyl setting. It works great. The instructions he sends with the unit will spell out what to do perfectly. I connected it to the back of the tach but had to add a length of wire to make the connection. It works great!
I didn't like the mount that they offered and ordered a custom one from Cycle Oneoff. I received it yesterday and will mount it this weekend and will post photos of it then. It mounts up next to the speedometer on a billet bracket. :thumbs up:

i have mine set to 8800 rpms and it works great as a 'you should have shifted by now light" as a shift light should probably be set to around 8k rpms to account for delay...

Humor the vmax noob. why should it be set to 2 cyl? is there always 2 cylnders firing at the same time?

Humor the vmax noob. why should it be set to 2 cyl? is there always 2 cylnders firing at the same time?

It has to do with the firing order of the cylinders...it's not conventional. This is what I've read on the subject, I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about will chime in.

I believe that it is caused by the fact that the Vmax engine has a "wasted spark" ignition. Each plug fires twice in a 4 stroke cycle. In other words the shift light would see the engine as an 8cyl instead of 4 so you set it to a 2cyl so it sees it properly. May be mistaken, but for some reason I remember this from somewhere.

I had to set mine to 8cyl to make it work. I'm wondering what is different?

Yep set your RPM to the actual RPM that you want after setting it to the 2 cyl setting. It works great. The instructions he sends with the unit will spell out what to do perfectly. I connected it to the back of the tach but had to add a length of wire to make the connection. It works great!
I didn't like the mount that they offered and ordered a custom one from Cycle Oneoff. I received it yesterday and will mount it this weekend and will post photos of it then. It mounts up next to the speedometer on a billet bracket. :thumbs up:

Thread Revival winner!!!!

HolyThreadRevivalBatman.jpg

I dont remember on mine, it has been a while.

Thread Revival winner!!!!

HolyThreadRevivalBatman.jpg

I dont remember on mine, it has been a while.
+1 on the thread revival! Mine is still winking at 9200 r's (well at least it was early last fall!). I know mine is set to 2 cyl, since I picked it up in '08 or '09. I'm not sure why yours is different ellner, how is yours wired up?

+1 on the thread revival! Mine is still winking at 9200 r's (well at least it was early last fall!). I know mine is set to 2 cyl, since I picked it up in '08 or '09. I'm not sure why yours is different ellner, how is yours wired up?

It's an old revival but I used the search lol!!! :D

I wired my light to the grey wire off the tach. Took power from a light bulb off my spedo cause it was the closest source.

Back