Cobra Exhaust Tuning Recommendation.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can talk all you want about collectors and scavenging, instead of talking about it, build it and test it, use the same bike, show the test results difference.... Cobras with scavenging, Same Cobras without scavenging, show the difference and prove it...

I thought I had proven it already. 99HP with and 120 with a full header. Either way since I am possibly one of the most respected members here and possibly more dyno time and VMAX's dyno'd then possibly anyone else with diffent configurations then anyone else perhaps you may want to consider what I have to say.

If you want to make HP don't go with the Cobra's. Period.
If you want to make HP go with ANY full header system. Period.

I recently removed the Cobras and installed Supertrapp on a stock bike. I immediately felt a seat of the pants improvement through the entire RPM range. I can say the Cobras looked great and they also sounded good as well. But the added power put a bigger smile on my face

I posted before about someone who wanted help selling their bike, it had Cobras on it. I took it for a ride, and I cut it-short, because it took little-time before I was ready to get-off it. I told him, "if you want to sell this bike, remove the Cobras, and install a used stock system, do yourself a favor, and take it for a ride after you switch-out the Cobra 4/4's, because you might-not want to-sell it!"

I bet one2damax has more dyno runs.with a cobra system.than cobras r&d did.

Last edited:
i just replace stock with cobra in 1989 max
i like the way thay look and the sound.
didn't notice any chance in hp or the way it run any rpm
even run beter in idele...

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 35
People buy different motorcycles for all sorts of reasons.......

People buy different exhausts for all sorts of reasons......

If you want big horsepower in 2020, you would not be looking at buying a Gen1 VMax.......

The reality is the Gen1 Vmax has the approximate straight line performance of a modern day 600cc bike.....

If you want big horsepower out of your Gen1 VMax you would not be buying any slip-on mufflers of any type.....

Cobra exhausts are a slip on muffler, they are very popular for a variety of reasons, budget, lightweight, looks, sound, etc, etc .....

People like the VMax Gen1.... People like the Cobras..... People like the combination.....

Haters got to Hate........

Cannot argue with that very sound logic. Best argument I have heard yet on running Cobras. Unless you're spending weekends at the track or racing everything that gives you a sideways glance, who cares if you aren't wringing every pony out of your ride? Mr. Max can spare a few and still get down the road OK. (BTW, Love the look of your bike, lrr.)

I also agree that Moti (welcome!) has a great looking bike. I would LOVE to know where he got that bag on the rear seat!

I want Big HP, in a Gen 1.
Many brand-new 600 cc bikes or larger don't produce 110 RWHP, the median output of our Gen 1's. Honda Fury, CTX700, Shadows, CB650R CB650F, CBR650R, CBR650F, XR650L, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Z650, Versys 650, W 800, Vulcan S, Vulcan 900, Vulcan 1700, KLR 650, Yamaha Bolt, Bolt R, XSR 700, MT 07, ... .
When you get your bike, do whatever you want to it. Beauty in your eyes at the sacrifice of brawn, slap-on those purty Cobra 4/4's. I can achieve the same end by cruising South Beach to pick-up a supermodel, and pulling-off a spark-plug lead.;)

VMax NOS.jpg

Last edited:
I want Big HP, in a Gen 1.
Many brand-new 600 cc bikes or larger don't produce 110 RWHP, the median output of our Gen 1's. Honda Fury, CTX700, Shadows, CB650R CB650F, CBR650R, CBR650F, XR650L, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Z650, Versys 650, W 800, Vulcan S, Vulcan 900, Vulcan 1700, KLR 650, Yamaha Bolt, Bolt R, XSR 700, MT 07, ... .
When you get your bike, do whatever you want to it. Beauty in your eyes at the sacrifice of brawn, slap-on those purty Cobra 4/4's. I can achieve the same end by cruising South Beach to pick-up a supermodel, and pulling-off a spark-plug lead.;)

View attachment 72100

Nice looking bike FM......
Never had that problem with super-models myself, sadly......

Not knocking anyone or anyone's motorcycle, we are all individuals, Vmax Gen1 is probably one of the worlds most individual, most customised motorcycles, the bike that brings us all together from all colours, backgrounds and from all nations......

Maximum Horsepower is not the prime driver for everybody, particularly on the street....

In 1985 the VMax was launched as one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, as far as I am aware no 600cc bike ever was, in 2020 the VMax Gen1 is still a very desirable motorcycle all over the world....... But its performance is in line with todays sports 600cc motorcycles, on the street neither are slow.....

If you spend enough money you can make most anything go fast.....
We all have our own budgets and responsibilities, needs, likes and dislikes....

Most people riding around on the street, on all kinds of motorcycles have never ever had their motorcycle on a dyno and have no idea of exactly how much rear wheel BHP their bikes have, they do not give a rats..... It does not stop them enjoying their rides.....

It is not 1985 anymore (sadly)....

In 2020 if your priority is big horsepower the Vmax Gen1 would probably be very low on your shopping list....

In 2020 if you are looking for an individual, unique, cool, cruiser with plenty of torque and some punch without breaking the bank...... Vmax Gen1 would probably be right up there near the top of your shopping list.....

Cannot argue with that very sound logic. Best argument I have heard yet on running Cobras. Unless you're spending weekends at the track or racing everything that gives you a sideways glance, who cares if you aren't wringing every pony out of your ride? Mr. Max can spare a few and still get down the road OK. (BTW, Love the look of your bike, lrr.)

I also agree that Moti (welcome!) has a great looking bike. I would LOVE to know where he got that bag on the rear seat!

Nice post Mate and Nice motorcycle collection, you must have a very understanding wife or your single......

Just like all of our Vmaxes it is a good job we are not all the same.........

Enjoy your ride..... Ride Safe.....

Attachments

• 2019-04-27 09.37.07.jpg
    2019-04-27 09.37.07.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 27

Thanks
the bag is from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Had cobras on my 02 sounded cool looked cool but was a mid range killer drilled out the end plates which helped slightly removed them for a holeshots system huge difference

Had cobras on my 02 sounded cool looked cool but was a mid range killer drilled out the end plates which helped slightly removed them for a holeshots system huge difference

Nice looking bike, guessing you are talking about a Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust system, which system did you install, the new 2 into 2 slip-ons system or maybe one of the older 4/1 systems? Did you have to make any additional modifications along with the exhaust install?

Nice looking bike, guessing you are talking about a Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust system, which system did you install, the new 2 into 2 slip-ons system or maybe one of the older 4/1 systems? Did you have to make any additional modifications along with the exhaust install?
The 2 into2 lost that one to a house fire the 95 you see now has the stage 7 with supertrapps I think it runs better than the holeshots but the sound I don't know have not done anything with the new 2017 yet still looking around at systems the 95 is becoming chromax 1 piece at a time lol

The 2 into2 lost that one to a house fire the 95 you see now has the stage 7 with supertrapps I think it runs better than the holeshots but the sound I don't know have not done anything with the new 2017 yet still looking around at systems the 95 is becoming chromax 1 piece at a time lol

No worries, sorry to hear about the house-fire..... Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy now..... I really like those new Dale Walker 2 into 2 pipes, like the look of the stock pipes also..... Thanks for the reply, Ride Safe......

Latest posts

Back