Adventures with Powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah...probably not...I'm guessing that "insulation" is good'ol foam...but ya never know...would need to pull one apart first :)

I powder coated a yeti coozie and several Artic 30oz cups and they all turned out great with Zero damage to the durability or loss of insulation qualities.
Michael

So it's been awhile since I posted to this thread...been busy expanding operations...didn't have much choice since I'm doing a ground up resto on my boy's LT80...needed equipment to handle frames and other larger items...so I built a new oven and spray booth...large homemade clamshell blasting cabinet is on deck for the summer...threw in a pic of the old oven for comparison/sentimental reasons (still use it...)

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 32
So it's been awhile since I posted to this thread...been busy expanding operations...didn't have much choice since I'm doing a ground up resto on my boy's LT80...needed equipment to handle frames and other larger items...so I built a new oven and spray booth...large homemade clamshell blasting cabinet is on deck for the summer...threw in a pic of the old oven for comparison/sentimental reasons (still use it...)

Looking good Frank. You've taken your operation to another level. Me, not so much.

I'm thinking of having my scoops and side covers powder coated.
What do I need to do to them before sending them or taking them into a shop?
Roughly what would this cost?
Will the finish be glossy, or matte? Is there a choice? I'd like to do the parts in a gunmetal gray color, with part of the scoops and side covers glossy, the rest of them matte..
Thanks. That damn monkey will not go away..

Will the finish be glossy, or matte? Is there a choice? I'd like to do the parts in a gunmetal gray color, with part of the scoops and side covers glossy, the rest of them matte..

Take the scoops apart and remove anything rubber & plastic. The Powdercoater will do the rest. Cleaned is always appreciated.

As Steve said...it helps if they are clean and stripped (no paint/clear coat...think paint prep). There are many colors & effects available today with PC. Costs - well that depends on way too many factors including customer's desires. As for the 1/2 matte, 1/2 glossy - more than doable, but understand PC is a thicker film than paint so the glossy area will most likely be raised a bit from the matte section...not a big deal, but something to consider...

Here are my boy's ATV wheels...new oven is working great allowing me to truly do decent size batches (2 coats, clear over sun gold)

Attachments

• IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 24
Did the yeti kill this thread? Nothing new in pc? I'm wanting to get started in pc to do my own stuff and would like the forum expertise to help me avoid common mistakes.

Old info still applies. I have a bunch of posts and oics on the thread. What gun and oven do you have ?

Brother PM; I have a harbor freight gun and a used kitchen oven. I've read the entire thread but was wondering if anything is new in powders and proceedures. Did i also read that you have a vmax drag bike? Is there a thread on that? I'm very interested in high temp chrome for pipes?

Sandy, try Alsa Corp for high temp powders. Exhaust only place we might need hih temp. HF gun gets the job done but does not apply powder efficiently as the trade level guns. Also try Columbia Coatings where they have good gun setups if you thing you will doing more than a bike. Prep is your key Sir. Media blast best you can and don’t worry about using an ultra fine media to blast. Powders need a little bite to hold onto. There are chemical cleaners available but thinner works good. Then you will “bake” off any residual contanimants. There is high temp masking tape and silcone plugs to seal holes and threads clean. Always follow your powder requirements on temp and time. If you have an oven with fan is best. Post up your work. Use gloves after cooking off your parts.

I'm mostly in
Brother PM; I have a harbor freight gun and a used kitchen oven. I've read the entire thread but was wondering if anything is new in powders and proceedures. Did i also read that you have a vmax drag bike? Is there a thread on that? I'm very interested in high temp chrome for pipes? Would like to talk to someone that has used these.

I'm mostly in need of posting entire reply.LOL I can read company propaganda but it doesn't always reflect real world experience. I need forum for that, like hi temp paint turning yellow or dull. Mfg,s leave that part off. Thanks PM. Should get going within month. New air compressor leaking everywhere.

Any body know how to copy a web page link and drop in the comment box. I had no problem with simple google search for alsacorp. Its there. Glow in the dark powders, prismatics, metallics its all there. I do not look for hi temps. The only trustworthy hi temp coating will be ceramic at leasy one that maintains its color.

Latest posts

Back