Oops..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Godzilla has not been running well for a while. I dosed the gas with some Berrymans Chemtool a few times without any great improvement. Today, I checked the mixture screws, the idle responded to closing them down, so I set all 4 back to 2.5 turns out.

Not any improvement, so I got the Morgan Carbtune out for a balance job. When I took off the left side manifold cover, I found there was no plug on the #1 carb nipple...

The carbs were in pretty good balance, they only needed a bit of tweaking to get right, but I did notice that the engine responded instantly to throttle with the Carbtune connected. I made up a new plug, and silicones them all to the carb nipples.

Bike runs fine now.. First time a hose ever came off anything. There isn't a lot of room behind that chrome cover - wonder where it went after it came off?

My nipples are always exposed!

I don't run with the covers on. I like the "raw" look of the engine, manifold and carbs.

Took Zilla for a ride this morning. It's always been a bit cold blooded in the morning, but after a mile or two, it started running great. Still pops a tiny bit in the exhaust when slowing down with closed throttle, but not every time, and not very loud.

Godzilla has not been running well for a while. I dosed the gas with some Berrymans Chemtool a few times without any great improvement. Today, I checked the mixture screws, the idle responded to closing them down, so I set all 4 back to 2.5 turns out.

Not any improvement, so I got the Morgan Carbtune out for a balance job. When I took off the left side manifold cover, I found there was no plug on the #1 carb nipple...

The carbs were in pretty good balance, they only needed a bit of tweaking to get right, but I did notice that the engine responded instantly to throttle with the Carbtune connected. I made up a new plug, and silicones them all to the carb nipples.

Bike runs fine now.. First time a hose ever came off anything. There isn't a lot of room behind that chrome cover - wonder where it went after it came off?

That's nice when you find something like that.
You are right, there's no room back there.
Even getting those covers on is a pain.
It almost feels like the centers aren't wide enough!

Bill the #2 carb hose is going to your vboost sensor.
Questioning why silicone as that would affect the next time you sync?

Carb 2 has the hose running up to the vacuum unit. That's the left front carb. Left rear ( carb1) has a cap on the vacuum nipple.

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean has new caps, I just purchased new ones from him. Trying to replace some of the rubber parts on mine. Check out the carb boot thread, if you're in need of them that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just used a tiny bit of silicone seal on the nipples. The plugs and hose will pull right off. I lost those little wire springy things decades ago..

Latest posts

Back