What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I went for my last ride for a while. Took it to the beach - went to the sunset on Clearwater beach and cruised around town for a bit. She's running great now with the treated tank and is fine again with the replaced wiring harness. Then I got it back to my friend's, put a few ounces of StaBil in the tank, ran a couple of miles, then disconnected the fuel pump and ran it til it died - decided to keep my carbs empty over the next 4 months. Stuck in on the center stand under the car port inside its capsule bike cover, disconnected the negative lead on the battery, and zipped up the cover all round. Sleep well my darlin'..

When I built the 88 project I had a bunch of stuff chromed including the handle bar risers etc . I wasn't sure exactly what direction the HD front end was going with the Vmax risers and how it was going to mount up until I figured it out.
Bottom line was these bits became redundant until today when I fitted them to the 90 bike. The 90 had polished parts anyway but I think these chromed bits are better:punk:

Attachments

• 003 (Large).jpg
    003 (Large).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 007 (Large) (2).jpg
    007 (Large) (2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 23
Today I went for my last ride for a while. Took it to the beach - went to the sunset on Clearwater beach and cruised around town for a bit. She's running great now with the treated tank and is fine again with the replaced wiring harness. Then I got it back to my friend's, put a few ounces of StaBil in the tank, ran a couple of miles, then disconnected the fuel pump and ran it til it died - decided to keep my carbs empty over the next 4 months. Stuck in on the center stand under the car port inside its capsule bike cover, disconnected the negative lead on the battery, and zipped up the cover all round. Sleep well my darlin'..

I spent a few days in Clearwater in May, loved the area and the sunset.
I wish I saw your max instead. We visit Florida every year, sometimes twice a year.
Bill

Garret,
I might be takin a ride out to dannys tommorrow(sunday) if your interested in trying out those grips? leavin maybe round noon:clapping:

Stage VII with individual K&N's and Marks 4/2, dyno-tune, new tires, shock adjustments, Python Fly screen, she's cookin and lookin good too. Two K miles the last couple of months and lovin it. Great ride last night in high winds, kinda sporty!

I fitted more LED's and a new screen. I can be seen from the side now and the screen is nice.
Bill

gamorg2,
I took my heated grips off, I found that they heat the palms of your hand, but not your thumb, or fingertips. I would certainly recommend heated gloves which go all the way to the fingertips.

Garret,
I might be takin a ride out to dannys tommorrow(sunday) if your interested in trying out those grips? leavin maybe round noon:clapping:

just got the message. got shit to do today sorry bro. maybe one day over the long weekend tho.

So I take it your not convinced they will be warm enough or just haven't taken it out in cold temps yet? Most of the grip warmers I've tried that are on ATV's or snowmobiles the low setting was all that's needed.

def warm enough. problem is the outside of you rhands still get cold. it was like 40 and it was at night when i did it so we'll see in time. give me a week.

gamorg2,
I took my heated grips off, I found that they heat the palms of your hand, but not your thumb, or fingertips. I would certainly recommend heated gloves which go all the way to the fingertips.

makes sense to me. my fingertips are plenty warm but only on the inside. thumbs aren't heated that well either.

After years of riding in cold weather where my fingers and thumbs have hurt so bad, it took until last Thursday morning to figure out how to keep my hands warm while riding. It was around 30 degrees and still dark when I rode in to work and about 30 miles into the ride my fingers and thumbs hurt like hell when I stopped to fill up. This is even with new Thinsulate gauntlets. As I was filling up the tank I thought about the nylon over gloves that came with the gloves. When I first saw them I thought they were for wet weather but then I thought, "what the heck" I'll give them a shot and see what happens. My hands were toasty the rest of the way in. I guess the key is to keep the wind off the thinsulate. Hope this helps out. - Neal

Took about a 70 mile ride on Saturday. Every time I ride the VMax it never ceases to amaze me what an incredible machine she is.

After years of riding in cold weather where my fingers and thumbs have hurt so bad, it took until last Thursday morning to figure out how to keep my hands warm while riding. It was around 30 degrees and still dark when I rode in to work and about 30 miles into the ride my fingers and thumbs hurt like hell when I stopped to fill up. This is even with new Thinsulate gauntlets. As I was filling up the tank I thought about the nylon over gloves that came with the gloves. When I first saw them I thought they were for wet weather but then I thought, "what the heck" I'll give them a shot and see what happens. My hands were toasty the rest of the way in. I guess the key is to keep the wind off the thinsulate. Hope this helps out. - Neal

gonna need more info on this "nylon over gloves" bro!

gonna need more info on these "nylon over gloves" man!

Finally installed the new clutch line last night. Not complex, but a bit of a pain in the rear. I'm not sure if the clutch m/c cover had EVER been removed because I nearly couldn't get the screws out, and then once I did, the M/C reservoir had a thick layer of sediment in side of it! Nasty.

I installed the new line and used a massive syringe to push new fluid all the way through the line up into the reservoir, then sucked out all the nasty stuff, then wiped the whole thing clean and dry, and then pushed more brand new fluid up, vibrated the line, and then finally pushed fluid down using the brake lever.

She works like a champ.

Also re-bled all the brakes just to check for bubbles, since I had put on new lines and calipers previously. Got a few tiny bubbles out of the front which really firmed up the front brakes, even more than they already were.

Also installed Sean's new galfer HH sintered busa pads that he sent me. Popped right in no issues. MUCH better than the OEM busa pads, and those were actually working really well! If the bike was a bit lighter I think I may be able to do stoppies on this thing now.

Installed new flamed mirrors that my wife painted up for me.

Installed new allen head screws into the M/C covers. I had to twist the phillips heads so hard that they were a bit deformed. Not stripped, but still annoying.

Ordered some 3M chip guard film to protect the chin spoiler since it is really getting hammered down there.

Went for a ride in the cold and dark (with my heated gloves) and damp roads. Got the bike squirly a couple of times breaking loose the rear.

Ok. I think that's about it for the max.

Installed my grip warmers and ran a few errands, actually managed to stretch it into 60 miles worth of riding! :clapping:

40 degrees, the warmers worked great and made it nice and pleasant.

Prolly any colder and the wind would be pretty uncomfortable on the backs of the hands, but down to 40 seemed fine.

Latest posts

Back