Does anyone know what is this for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildweasel_pt

Reaction score
Hi all
Im trying to learn a bit more about blowers (so to speak) and theres something that i don't know or understand. My question is what the hell is this spring thing on the side of the plenum on this magnacharger setup? What about the pressure outlet? Is that for the Holley 390 cfm 4 barrel? or for the ignition advance unit? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• Friend Blown Max by UFO 015.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 015.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Friend build engine in jan 19 2011 005.jpg
    Friend build engine in jan 19 2011 005.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 101
That is your waist gate pressure relief valve for the supercharger. Generally they are adjustable to allow for different manifold pressures.

no no no...that's the gate that routs all your money out of the engine onto the highway as a gas, rather than a solid.

I don't know if I'd call it the wastegate though it can serve that function. It does relieve excess pressure when you let off the throttle or have a backfire.

no no no...that's the gate that routs all your money out of the engine onto the highway as a gas, rather than a solid.

I said any input is appreciated but come on... :biglaugh:

I don't know if I'd call it the wastegate though it can serve that function. It does relieve excess pressure when you let off the throttle or have a backfire.

Hmm... now it makes sense. It looked like a shaft (any deflector inside? i thought). why not use a common wastegate like in a turbo? What about the small tube coming out of it?

You can use the tube for either manifold pressure guage (to see boost) or even to run a boost reference fuel pump.

There isn't any pressure lines coming off to tie in a standard wastegate though I guess you could put one there but would look goofy.

It being a boosted inflow instead of draft how does the ignition advance work? I see no means of measuring it, or does it have a TPS/RPM sensor? Im unfamiliar with this setup...

They don't worry about the stock sensor seeing a vacuum at that point. Besides, they want it to not advance the timing anyway with boosted power. You want to retard the timing curve normally.

This setup is a simple Holley carb.

I have one in the shop that we're going to try a webber and also going to look at putting a holley injection kit on it too.

Will you be posting about that progress Sean? Im interested in following that info... Thanks

Latest posts

Back