Ripped Off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentsvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a USD front end from Tom at cycleoneoff back in march.
I've got email after email from him with excuse after excuse.

Now I don't even get answers to my emails, he doesn't ever answer or return phone calls.

Does anyone here maybe live near his shop that can pay him a visit, there is a new guy to the forum here in CO. that just bought some items from toms web site and hasn't received them and I wasn't able to warn him in time.

This guy was a trusted member and vendor, now he's screwing people out of hard earned bucks,

Can any body help out with this?

Gent is getting his tracking today. I'm not living on the forum or checking my email every second. I'm machining and working. Every order I get done the closer I am to closing. As soon as the orders I do have are out the door I'm done and I am closing cycle one. Also I'm not coming back on the forum as the other venders here are getting upset I'm posting here.

Tom, please dont close down shop, you make very tricked out,& quality parts. I have a few of your items that l love & had the patience to wait for them, knowing they have to be made to order. I would hate to lose a Vmax vender do to inpatient customers, & I also spread the wealth around to most of the Vmax venders. I would hate to lose any Vmax vender

Cycle One

One of the threads I started was deleted. I figured a paying vender complained but it really doesn't matter at this point.

No I'm out when the last order is done I'm shutting it down.

Who the heck is getting upset?

cycle 1 i would not close down you do have some nice items. I would just drop a note to keep buyer's update on there orders this can go along way with people.

tom, please dont close down shop, you make very tricked out,& quality parts. I have a few of your items that l love & had the patience to wait for them, knowing they have to be made to order. I would hate to lose a vmax vender do to inpatient customers, & i also spread the wealth around to most of the vmax venders. I would hate to lose any vmax vender
+ 1

I myself as a mechanic and technication, understand (plus being married) you will never please everyone. If you enjoy helping other, by making parts, keep it up. I have looked at the stuff on the web from you it looks good. Everyone always wants the stuff at their door 2 minutes after ordering. From my military experience, I can handle the hurry and wait process. A buddy of mine that makes parts for me, I tell him when ever you have time don't stress too much. If someone wasn't there to make the custom parts you would be SOL, or we would be riding stock bikes....

I would like to add my thoughts too about you leaving the Vmax business. I appreciate your frustration of having issues with posts or possibly another vendor, I would hope there was some way this could be worked out. Losing a great maker of quality Vmax parts is something we should all be concerned with as our beloved Vmax reaches it's 30th anniversary.
The man "behind the curtain" they don't see is a one man operation working hard to put out creative and functional parts. I truly appreciate the work you do Tom and Redbone has many of your parts on it to prove it.
I hope there is some dialog going on behind the scenes that will work out for the best of all the parties involved.

Re: Cycle One

One of the threads I started was deleted. I figured a paying vender complained but it really doesn't matter at this point.

Not me, I couldn't care less................ Until you start knocking off seats. Lol but I will tell you with the posts I've seen while I may not close the doors I would definitely reconsider my business practices if I had customers as dissatisfied as some of yours seem to be.:confused2:

Tom-
By all means, your business priority should be to fill past and present orders.
Then - post on your site that NO orders will be filled until further notice.
You should have a very good idea of the items in your inventory that sell the best. Work to build up an inventory of these parts. Eventually, post on your site "6 in stock", "4 in stock" "10 in stock", etc. Machine as needed to maintain a minimum number of each item.
Only then can your priority be prompt delivery of goods.
Specialty and one-off items can be posted "contact vendor for estimated delivery time" - perhaps specify a non-refundable 10% deposit before work is started? By no means accept full payment until the part(s) is ready to ship.
Cheers!

Patience is a vertue... many have forgotten it lol

I'm used to wait 4-8 weeks easily for getting on stock parts. Even though I would love to speed it up, I learnt to be patient.

On the other hand, I never heard about anybody getting screwed and not getting his parts after ordering them with Tom.

Everybody knows they are made on order basis and they take a bit long. It's get it or leave it but there is no excuse for not knowing.

If you want stuff delivered within 5 days, then order them on amazon lol

Hey guys, I'm not trying to be a forum whiner or trouble maker here. If not just venting I was asking for advice or as I asked if someone lived near that could go by and see whats going on at Toms shop. Now I think waiting since March is being plenty patient. I have emails stating that my parts had been shipped when they hadn't been, worse yet emails that would embarrass both of us, me for not doing something sooner as with Paypal they cant do anything after 45 days to get my money back.
I am a C.N.C. machinist/welder at the community college of Denver here, I have a hell of a knowledge and respect for what it takes to make what Tom has shown at COO, It would take me to make the fixtures and Im sure some dies or other tooling just to make one of what I have ordered from him, supervisor's don't seem to agree with this though.

!!!!!Now FOR AN UPDATE!!!! Wow I cant believe it!!!!! The email just came at 12:41 a.m.

I HAVE A TRACKING # after all the other" get my hopes up" emails I'll just wait and see.
I will keep a post to be fair to Tom and a light on what's up here, fingers crossed.

Tom-
By all means, your business priority should be to fill past and present orders.
Then - post on your site that NO orders will be filled until further notice.
You should have a very good idea of the items in your inventory that sell the best. Work to build up an inventory of these parts. Eventually, post on your site "6 in stock", "4 in stock" "10 in stock", etc. Machine as needed to maintain a minimum number of each item.
Only then can your priority be prompt delivery of goods.
Specialty and one-off items can be posted "contact vendor for estimated delivery time" - perhaps specify a non-refundable 10% deposit before work is started? By no means accept full payment until the part(s) is ready to ship.
Cheers!

Plus 1,

I have small company started in 1984 i learn never take on more than I can handle it can came back on you. Me if I'm going to get behind on things I trying calling the customer and email them. To keep them updated on a time frame when jobs are going to be completed. I always try to match my time frame if I can. If a customer has paid total amount up front - You have to keep them posted on progress this is a must have.

I hate to see any company shut down. Tom I would make sure the buyer has a good understanding on your time frame when finish. This is the key here.
Good communication with the buyer. With out this - the patience of the buyer go's out the door.

I have 2 of your items on my bike and happy with it.

Not all manufacturers are "good" business types.
I don't hammer Tom for his delivery times, only criticism is his communication practices. He could hire someone to take care of that end but he is a small operation and buyers must realize that if he is paying someone to do that, he is losing that much on each job. Probably to the point that it ain't worth doing. I appreciate MilesLong view but simplify it even more. How? Make whatever you want whenever you want Tom and then post up whatever you have on here, on EBay or Craigslist or Facebook. That way you only sell what you have when you have it it. You get full payment, buyer gets their stuff promptly, you and your name is not besmirched, and everybody is happy.
Tom, if you are like me, you get stressed if something does not get out as promised. I'm not gonna beg you to keep making parts although I love your parts, (I can't afford them), I see the Vmax community better with talented persons like you making trick parts available to us. Step away for a while. Consider a business practice change to keep your sanity.
GentsVmax, it's hard to say you weren't whining or airing your frustration with a thread entitled as you choose. Perhaps be a bit more diplomatic in the future. A little foresight goes a long way. This Forum and it's community has made a name for itself within the vast motorcycling world as one of special merit in decency, trustworthiness, and comradery.
Hope you enjoy the new USD, and you show us the pics when you get her all installed!

I had heard a lot of people had issue with Jon when he was alive. I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with UFO, for that reason. I have talked to Mike since, when I ordered or asked a question I had a response back the next day. I think my exhaust took less than a week to reach me also. Kinda made me very happy, but then I ordered prior to it being riding season also...winter projects are best, but they make you itch to ride and see how it is working.... Please keep your business open, like suggested if you are back logged let the customers know. 4-5 months is a lot of time...

This would not be good. I wanted to get a swing arm from you next year for my chain drive. I like the looks of yours compared to anyone else's :(. Don't let this forum take you off the market. If its other things then it is what it is but don't let childish games ruin a good thing :(

the only threads that were deleted that you started were deleted by you as per my mod view. If its an issue I"m sure buster can look into it more.

I know that there have been issues with communications.....but all in all I think that the Vmax community, and this forum is better for having all of the vendors that we can.

Tom....and COO put out some VERY good products.

Latest posts

Back