HID Headlight Help Needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
My HID headlight failed last week (details later). So I got in there to troubleshoot the problem this weekend. I find that the element flickers on and goes out immediately so I believe I have power to the unit but don't know if I have a bad element or one of the three "black box" components in the system.
Does anyone know if the element or the system can be diagnosed? Or am I looking at just replacing the entire system?
The system is only 4 years old and has worked flawlessly the entire time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My HID headlight failed last week (details later). So I got in there to troubleshoot the problem this weekend. I find that the element flickers on and goes out immediately so I believe I have power to the unit but don't know if I have a bad element or one of the three "black box" components in the system.
Does anyone know if the element or the system can be diagnosed? Or am I looking at just replacing the entire system?
The system is only 4 years old and has worked flawlessly the entire time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm afraid not much unless you have another light or ballast to try out. When my ballast went bad it blew the light fuse immediately. I recommend getting a return authorization from DDM. Warning, it takes awhile as they troubleshoot it first. Then, you must wait for a replacement part from China. I would hook your stock lamp back up in the meantime.

Same problem with mine, until i swapped the +12V supply from the H4 plug (stock harness) to a direct +12V from the battery, no more flickering or shut off ;)

If this is what I think it is, you basically have a stun gun in there that's been operating for 4 years constantly. Probably a replacement is in order. I tried one and it was horrid. I nearly shocked myself to death. Went back to a standard headlight with a super bright short life bulb.

Back