Trailing your max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Where do you guys connect your strapping when trailing your max?
I figured below the headlight and above the top brace for on the triple tree on the forks for the front, but what do you like for the back?

I never pull on suspension
Always and only on wheels, swing arm and bottom fork section

But, it`s only me

I figured below the headlight and above the top brace for on the triple tree on the forks for the front, but what do you like for the back?

For the back, I just go thru the wheel, and where the tie off points are, when I tighten down the strap, it will pull forward on the rim just a bit.

Reason for asking.
I was testing out my new trailer I purchased for my birthday in Feb.
This is a single rail trailer, looks somewhat like the Stinger with no railings and front tie downs.
Since there are no cross bar tie down points in the front or rear, going thru the wheels would not secure anything in my case.
Front is in a wheel chock and the only tie down points are close to center of bike. 4 of them. 2 going frontward, 2 going backwards.
I tried the seat bracket, but very little room to loop anything thru, and only 2 small bolts holding that bracket in place. Didn't want to chance it on two 8mm bolts.
The best I could come up with, was looping the rear straps around the frame, just under the rear of the seat. It felt pretty secure.. Rode around town with it for a few, just to see how it handles these potholes in NJ.

Reason for asking.
I was testing out my new trailer I purchased for my birthday in Feb.
This is a single rail trailer, looks somewhat like the Stinger with no railings and front tie downs.
Since there are no cross bar tie down points in the front or rear, going thru the wheels would not secure anything in my case.
Front is in a wheel chock and the only tie down points are close to center of bike. 4 of them. 2 going frontward, 2 going backwards.
I tried the seat bracket, but very little room to loop anything thru, and only 2 small bolts holding that bracket in place. Didn't want to chance it on two 8mm bolts.
The best I could come up with, was looping the rear straps around the frame, just under the rear of the seat. It felt pretty secure.. Rode around town with it for a few, just to see how it handles these potholes in NJ.

If at all possible stick to the frame.:clapping:

I go around the grab bar sides as well as the forks. Then front and back from engine guards to eye in the back and lower shock to eye in the front, to keep her from moving. Too many is better than not enough.
I got towed Sunday by a guy that took great care, and he got a nice tip for being so careful. He went through each wheel, and over the seat with blankets touching any metal parts. The bike never moved.
Steve

He went through each wheel, and over the seat with blankets touching any metal parts.
I watched a guy use the "over the seat" method with towels. on a HD Street Glide.
I couldn't help but wonder, how much pressure would it take to compress the seat (without damaging it), while stopping the bike from sliding left or right. Especially with a larger bike.
I know it feels strong when testing it, but when it's bouncing up and down, and shifting left and right,, I don't know.

I thought about removing the seat to get to the frame easily, but if it rains while trialing it,, didn't trust getting things under there wet..

I got 2 1000Lbs ratchet straps in the front, and 2 3500Lbs, in the rear. Along with the wheel chock, it felt pretty good.

Maybe I'm just being a little anal.
She's a 91 with not much to look at, with her scratches, surface rust spots, and in need of a good paint job, but shes all mine..
It may not look it, but I put tons of work into this girl. I'd hate for her to go down for something that could have been avoided.

I watched a guy use the "over the seat" method with towels. on a HD Street Glide.
I couldn't help but wonder, how much pressure would it take to compress the seat (without damaging it), while stopping the bike from sliding left or right. Especially with a larger bike.
I know it feels strong when testing it, but when it's bouncing up and down, and shifting left and right,, I don't know.

I thought about removing the seat to get to the frame easily, but if it rains while trialing it,, didn't trust getting things under there wet..

I got 2 1000Lbs ratchet straps in the front, and 2 3500Lbs, in the rear. Along with the wheel chock, it felt pretty good.

Maybe I'm just being a little anal.
She's a 91 with not much to look at, with her scratches, surface rust spots, and in need of a good paint job, but shes all mine..
It may not look it, but I put tons of work into this girl. I'd hate for her to go down for something that could have been avoided.

I like to stop after the first 20-30 miles and tighten her up a little. I towed a parts bike home years ago and learned my lesson. Like Dan-o mentioned, I like to collapse the suspension a bit too. I use 8 ratchet straps.

I bought one of these from Harbor Freight last year, but still haven't taken the chance to bolt this on to the bed of my trailer to see how it works....

97841_zzz_alt2_500_1.jpg

image_24685.jpg

I figure that once I ride the bike up onto the trailer and engage the front tire, it's just a matter of throwing a couple of ratcheting straps to the handle bar and a couple of straps on either side of the rear swing arm....

I bought one of these from Harbor Freight last year, but still haven't taken the chance to bolt this on to the bed of my trailer to see how it works....

97841_zzz_alt2_500_1.jpg

image_24685.jpg

I figure that once I ride the bike up onto the trailer and engage the front tire, it's just a matter of throwing a couple of ratcheting straps to the handle bar and a couple of straps on either side of the rear swing arm....

These are what I use for my bikes in my trailer. Work great :punk:

That would be great if I had a full garage that I could place a trailer. But, since I'm in a 2 family (2nd level), I needed something that I could break down and store in a closet or something.
I picked this one up from the UK. It builds and breaks down without the need of any tools.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Since the Vmax is more on the heavier side, I picked up the HDE kit.
I also picked up some soft straps from Amazon which went around the upper fork brace (on each side), and around the frames, under the rear of the seat.

It worked out pretty good. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back