Broke down today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Well, having nice ride today in NYS Bear Mountain, just leaving from taking a leak (TMI???) revved up a little high in 1st gear and heard a few pops from the exhaust. Bike shut down. No matter what I did it would not start up. It would crank over fine,, but it seems like there is no spark. I'll dig more into it tomorrow.

Had to get a cab home to pick up my tow hitch system, then drive over 40 miles back to get my bike. It's 9pm now, Just got home from a 12pm trip. So now I have to figure out why It's not firing up. :damn angry:

Any thoughts??

Spark at plugs?

What's the pick-up coil ohm at?

Check your sidestand switch.

Spark at plugs?

What's the pick-up coil ohm at?

Check your sidestand switch.

I planned to check for spark tomorrow.
I'll check that coil-pick tomorrow - good call..
Flipped the side stand multiple times to see if it was it..
(I have to do a continuity test on that switch tomorrow).
Also, flipped and tapped on the engine kill to see if that was the issue. No dice..

The way it happened felt like, when it go to that high rev, a fuse blew and killed the all spark..
I checked the two fuses under the seat next to the starter relay, and they looked fine. I'll check them again with an ohm-meter.

The sidestand switch can be sticky. A shot of CRC 5-56 or WD 40 on the shaft, & 'a bit of the old, in-out, in-out' should restore its function.

The side stand switch can be sticky. A shot of CRC 5-56 or WD 40 on the shaft, & 'a bit of the old, in-out, in-out' should restore its function.

I will definitely check that tomorrow..
I just find it strange that it happened just after revving it up high in 1st. I never had a problem with the side stand switch. Could a sudden high rev vibration could cause it to fail all of a sudden?

1) Checked for spark. No spark at the plugs.

2) Checked out the side stand switch - checked out OK
3) Checked out the engine cut-off switch - checked out OK
4) Checked the coil pick up unit.. Reads the same as when I put it in there. 158.7 Ohms @ 73 deg
5) Checked Fuel pump - priming until bowls are full - Normal. (would not matter if there was no spark)
6) Checked all fuses for continuity. All checked out OK.
7) Opened up the TCI box to smell if anything was fried,, It looked and smelled normal.

The way it happened felt like, when it got to that high rev, it was like a fuse blew and killed all spark to the plugs. When I revved it up, it sounded around 9k or so, then I heard a bout 3 - 4 backfires, then the engine failed.

I cant think of what else this issue could be.:bang head:

Sounds like you need Sean's "Traveling Electrical Components Kit." No spark at the plugs sounds like, 'replace with one of known good operational qualities.' From your description, I'd think the electronic ignition box, to start.

Trying to think outside the box here..
Since I did have to replace a failed coil pick-up unit inside the stator cover, and fashion my own mount, I'm wondering, what would be the symptoms of a "still electrically connected" pick-up unit, but laying inside of the stator cover. (In other words, a broken or faulty pick-up unit mount)???

At the time, RegulatorRectifiers.com did not sell the full mount with connecting wires, like they do today. So I had to cut away the old pick-up coil from its mounting bracket and mount the replacement to it. :ummm:

Here are some of the original pics from my 1st visit to the other V-Max Forum before I found you guys.
from 1st problem 1.jpg
from 1st problem 2.jpg
from 1st problem 3.jpg
from 1st problem 4.jpg
from 1st problem 5.jpg

Just a thought.. I had a sidestand relay crap out. I just unplugged it and was OK. I know the wiring changed from my bike, but maybe you could check the relay. I believe you'd need to replace it, as unlike the 1985 year, yours won't run without it.

My relay failed with no warning.

Just a thought.. I had a sidestand relay crap out. I just unplugged it and was OK. I know the wiring changed from my bike, but maybe you could check the relay. I believe you'd need to replace it, as unlike the 1985 year, yours won't run without it.

My relay failed with no warning.

Good thing to check!
I was testing my LED headlight the other night and went to put it back in the garage and forgot the side stand was down.
I started up, "tried" to put in in 1st and it kept stalling.
After 3 attempts, :bang head: I said to myself "WTF" is wrong with this thing now?
Nothing, It was rider error! :biglaugh:
It was doing it's job!
It could be an intermittent issue with it.

Well, going by the symptoms of no spark, and how it happened, made me wonder if my coil pickup broke off its mount, (after checking everything else, that is).. Drained the oil and pulled off the stator cover. found a piece of metal brace came off.

It put a nick in the aluminum casing,
nick in case.jpg

And broke my pick up unit. Its still hanging on to the mount, but it's no longer in position to pick up the magnetic pulse off the fly wheel magnet.

This is the way I fashioned the original mount to the replacement pick up unit.
1st installation.jpg

This is what it looks like when I broke down.
broken coil.jpg

This would explain no spark to any plugs.

Thank God I found this :clapping:.
Now I have to order a replacement pick up coil.
Since I have the stator cover open, I figure it would be a good time to attack the starter clutch, box of rocks issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys..

Ordered a replacement pick-up coil from RegulatorRectifier.com
Also ordered a replacement starter clutch off eBay. I heard quite a few members have had great results using it. I was going to try the upgraded starter clutch but was not sure of peoples results using it.

Sorry about your luck on this one, but I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Diagnosing is the frustrating part, the repairs are the easy part! Keep us posted on how it goes. I had a slow starter for awhile that took a toll on my starter clutch. I replaced the starter, but have been putting off doing the starter clutch. Maybe this winter I'll get around to it.

Sorry about your luck on this one, but I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Diagnosing is the frustrating part, the repairs are the easy part! Keep us posted on how it goes. I had a slow starter for awhile that took a toll on my starter clutch. I replaced the starter, but have been putting off doing the starter clutch. Maybe this winter I'll get around to it.

Thanks..
I've been putting off doing the starter clutch for a while now.
I've been "feeling" the start action, if it grabbed or not, during start and adjust my button press accordingly. I knew it had to be changed, and I was taking a chance if it decided to fail totally while away from home.

I was reading that if it fails and jams the flywheel or breaks off, you'd be in for a hefty repair bill. Reading this caused me to dig into that issue along with pick-up pulser coil.
I had already picked up a set of Yamaha clutch bolts last year, along with stator and clutch cover gaskets. I had feeling that the original 3 were getting loose and was going to change them out.

I should have ordered the clutch back then.. Oh well.. $36.00 for a new clutch is not bad.

Make damn sure those bolts don't come loose..
I asked this question previously on this post, about the same bolts, but did not get an answer.
So maybe others have not used this?? Possibly?

Locktite has a retaining compound #638.

After watching some videos and reading reviews of this stuff, I picked a small yet expensive bottle, because I had to secure some RC Helicopter tail hubs to the tail output shafts. These things rotate in excess of 50,000 RPM. It worked perfectly.

I've read where people had to use a torch to loosen bolts, once retained with 638. I was wondering if anyone had ever used this product for clutch bolts.

Note: #638 is WAY stronger than the common Red Locktite, which sometimes needs heat to get loose. Blue, can be released with a regular wrench..

Maybe it might be too strong for the job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbA3KlSJ1iA

Can someone ID this plate? A piece of this broke off when I revved it up high, and messed up my coil-pickup - leaving me stranded. I found it inside the cover. I can't seem to find that plate on any Vmax diagram or YouTube video. I only see the plate that's holding down the 3 wires from the stator windings, and the one bolted to the inner case.
What plate is this.jpg Inside stator cover.jpg Inside stator cover 2.jpg

I've examined the starter clutch. Other than the 3 non-peened bolts that were loosy goosy, and in need of replacement, it really doesn't look that bad. I don't see any cracks in it at all, and the surface and teeth of the ring gear looks fine.
Old Starter Clutch.jpg Ring Gear.jpg

Already put the connector on the replacement pick-up unit.
New pickup.jpg

Latest posts

Back