handle bar choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
The upper is stock, middile is Ducati and lower is a narrow drag bar.
________
SLK-Class

Attachments

• handle bars 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    handle bars 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Very good info Firefly. I have been searching for info on bar replacements for the Max for a while now with no luck. Others have spoke of the K&N Superbike bars, but I haven't been able to find any. Maybe I'll try the Duck bars. Looks good. Do you have a pic of them on your bike?
Not trying to hijack, but here's a related question. When taking the plastic bar ends out, what's the best method? Breaking 'em out? I can't get them to budge.

G Man

More Ducati bar photos on my bike. some more observations on the bike handling with these bars:

1- The bike feels lighter at 2 mph in parking lot, and lighter in general and this is due to the forward shift which moved my hand closer to the axis of the forks ( in sports bikes the handle bar is on the forks which gives precise control with the least effort).
2- I automatically found my grip much more relaxed Vs drag bars & stock, my elbows slightly bent and the width of the bar is ~ my shoulder width also the upright position is greatly enhanced and less fatiguing.
3- Body steering and counter steering became so smooth that you feel much more connected to the bike.
4- High speed straight directional stability, point and shoot kinda feeling, as if the bike is on rails.
5- cornering as in canyons became glorious to say the least, the ease of combining counter steering and body steering come so natural that you might feel your dancing or having sex, well greased:)
6- Neck muscles fatigue and pain vanished due to the fact that my muscles ( neck, shoulder, elbows and wrists ) are all in relaxed neutral positions.
8- It also allows leaning forward as in drag racing while maintaning good wrist/elbow/shoulder position, with a stock handle bar it becomes uncomfortable to lean forward and puts you in less control of the bike.
9- The mirrors position shows more of what is behind, ( I had the stems of the mirrors bend down a while back when I had a darg bar) the chrome is still ok at the bend , I find bending the mirror stems to be the best position Vs other mirrors.

The Ducati bar has some holes in it, I recommend plugging them with silicon and filling the bar with dry fine sand to dampen vibration then plug 2inch deep with end caps that came with the bar, just force it inside after cutting its lip from both ends to accommodate bar ends.

I cut 1.25 of an inch from both ends with a copper tube cutter.
the Ducati monster bar is for an 04 or older, the 05 swells to one inch in the center part.

I am currently talking with a guy that makes handle bars and will try to let him make one with my specifications

In my opinion this mod alone changes the bikes handling drastically and instantly!
Ibrahim
________
Honda NSR150

Attachments

• handle bars on bike 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    handle bars on bike 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 107
  • handle bars on bike 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    handle bars on bike 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 149
  • faux tank paint (480 x 356).jpg
    faux tank paint (480 x 356).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Those pics look nice. I don't have any issues with the stock bar position on the Max. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Monster bar (and/or) lower mounting brackets for my FZ. The angle of the stock bar isn't perfect for my taste.

Ibrahim,I run the k&n dragbars on my max but I bought a set of bars for my wifes fazer from Sean Morely.They look just like the ones you run. Same pullback as drag bars but with 2" of rise.They are very comfortable on her bike.I might try a set on mine also.He sells them pretty cheap.
I had the bright idea to try a broom stick bar last summer.It looked cool as hell but the wrist angle made it almost unrideable.I was so sore when I took it off that I smashed it and threw it away. Shawn

I've got quite a few bars to pick from. I do like the "superbike" bars though I already had the drag bars installed and just haven't got them swapped yet. here are some specs:

Specs are as follows (Width / Rise / Pullback / Price (all are chrome unless otherwise noted):

In stock:

Drag Bar - 28" / 0" / 3.84" / $20 (black or chrome)
Superbike - 29.2" / 3.04" / 3" / $25
European - 30" / 2.4" / 4.8" / $25

I can order:

Daytona - 29.2" / 5.36" / 3" / $25
Touring - 28" / 4.2" / 4.2" / $25
LTD - 30" / 4.8" / 7.2" / $25
Highhawk - 28" / 7" / 9.2" / $25

Later,
Sean

one2dmax said:
I've got quite a few bars to pick from. I do like the "superbike" bars though I already had the drag bars installed and just haven't got them swapped yet. here are some specs:

Specs are as follows (Width / Rise / Pullback / Price (all are chrome unless otherwise noted):

In stock:

Drag Bar - 28" / 0" / 3.84" / $20 (black or chrome)
Superbike - 29.2" / 3.04" / 3" / $25
European - 30" / 2.4" / 4.8" / $25

I can order:

Daytona - 29.2" / 5.36" / 3" / $25
Touring - 28" / 4.2" / 4.2" / $25
LTD - 30" / 4.8" / 7.2" / $25
Highhawk - 28" / 7" / 9.2" / $25

Later,
Sean

Do you have the specs on the stock bars so I can get an idea of how different the above ones are?

Here they are:

> Stock 1997-2005 Yamaha VMX 12 V-Max handlebar dimensions
> >
> > Bar Diameter: 7/8"
> >
> > Height: 3"
> >
> > Width: 27"
> >
> > Pullback: 7"
> >
> > Center: 6"
> >
> > Clamp Area: 2-1/2" x 5"

Later,
Sean Morley

one2dmax said:
Here they are:

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Later,
Sean Morley

The Ducati bar dimensions are in 7/8 th :

1-Rise = 2.0 inch.
2-Width 29.5 & better if you cut 1.25 inch from both ends this makes it ~ 27 inch with bar ends
3-Center = 4 inch
4-Pull back = 3 inch
5-Down sweep 1 inch, makes a huge difference in Wrist position comfort!

I've had this bar on for ~ a week and all I can say is "HOW THE HELL WAS I USING A DRAG BAR?" I make U turns in tight spots effortlessly
and in high speeds on free way my hands exert a downward pressure that is very in control kinda feeling with much easier maneuvering . WOW X 100% Vs any bar I've used!

I used stock, wider than stock, narrow drag bar and motocross 1.5 rise bar.
The best one hands down in all riding situations is the Ducati bar.

The motocross was almost the same as the Ducati but had 6 inch center and was wide even when cut due to the wide angle rise you couldn't
move the clutch and brake masters any further in.

The key in all this is: If the bar is wider than a persons shoulder width it instantly reduces the ability to control the bike in turns!

I'll try to explain this with diagrams in a later post.
Ibrahim
________
List of Mazda transmissions history

Last edited:
I like the spec of the Duck bar and they look great on your bike, however after looking back at your pics I am concerned with the narrow centre not allowing the clamp to bite down fully on the bar. There should be a clean and solid clamp down on the bar ensuring it will stay put for safety measure. If the bar is not properly clamped, eventually they will move when you least expect it.

Attachments

• handle bars on bike 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    handle bars on bike 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 26
G Man said:
I like the spec of the Duck bar and they look great on your bike, however after looking back at your pics I am concerned with the narrow centre not allowing the clamp to bite down fully on the bar. There should be a clean and solid clamp down on the bar ensuring it will stay put for safety measure. If the bar is not properly clamped, eventually they will move when you least expect it.

I ride surface streets and a lot of potholes, that thing is very very secure, the inner part of it is flush with the clamp so don't worry mate:eusa_dance:

The more I ride the bike the more I think this mod (Duck handle bar) is the most significant handling mod & bear in mind I have racetech front, radials front and rear both 17 inch and works shocks in the rear .
My hands & wrists are in the most relaxed position ever!
I am going :banana: with the enhanced handling, I am riding 10 times more aggressive just because of the enhanced control:rocket bike: , DO IT you will understand what I am saying instantly. You will not be sorry! Cut 1.25 inch from both sides before you install it.
firefly
________
Research America

Last edited:
You can always get a custom bar made. Give Flanders your specs and they'll do it (at least they used to).

Sean Morley

Here is the difference between the super bar and the Ducati one. but the super bar is very close and probably stronger.I attached a photo , the upper is the stock.
Photo was provided by Shawn & edited by me, The photo does not position the bars in a good angle for comparing stock to super bar. The lines show the Ducati difference,a slight downward bend.
________
How to Bake

Attachments

• superbike bar.jpg
    superbike bar.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
firefly said:
Here is the difference between the super bar and the Ducati one. but the super bar is very close and probably stronger.I attached a photo , the upper is the stock.
Photo was provided by Shawn & edited by me, The photo does not position the bars in a good angle for comparing stock to super bar. The lines show the Ducati difference,a slight downward bend.
It's kind of early for me so I'm confused...:8: so in the photo, the top bar is the stock VMax bar, the one below it is the super bar and the green line is how the Ducati bar is??.... sorry haven't had my coffee yet!:uhm00000:
Also in your first post in this thread, what are the 3 bars you have in the attached picture?

Buster Hymen said:
It's kind of early for me so I'm confused...:8: so in the photo, the top bar is the stock VMax bar, the one below it is the super bar and the green line is how the Ducati bar is??.... sorry haven't had my coffee yet!:uhm00000:
Also in your first post in this thread, what are the 3 bars you have in the attached picture?

Ok I corrected it, the upper is stock, mid is ducati & lower is narrow drag bar.
________
Toyota Mark II

Last edited:
Here they are:

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Later,
Sean Morley
Hello o mighty One. Can you get anything close to stock? Maybe,2 wider and 7-9" pullback. Handlebars are hard to find. Thanks

More Ducati bar photos on my bike. some more observations on the bike handling with these bars:

1- The bike feels lighter at 2 mph in parking lot, and lighter in general and this is due to the forward shift which moved my hand closer to the axis of the forks ( in sports bikes the handle bar is on the forks which gives precise control with the least effort).
2- I automatically found my grip much more relaxed Vs drag bars & stock, my elbows slightly bent and the width of the bar is ~ my shoulder width also the upright position is greatly enhanced and less fatiguing.
3- Body steering and counter steering became so smooth that you feel much more connected to the bike.
4- High speed straight directional stability, point and shoot kinda feeling, as if the bike is on rails.
5- cornering as in canyons became glorious to say the least, the ease of combining counter steering and body steering come so natural that you might feel your dancing or having sex, well greased:)
6- Neck muscles fatigue and pain vanished due to the fact that my muscles ( neck, shoulder, elbows and wrists ) are all in relaxed neutral positions.
8- It also allows leaning forward as in drag racing while maintaning good wrist/elbow/shoulder position, with a stock handle bar it becomes uncomfortable to lean forward and puts you in less control of the bike.
9- The mirrors position shows more of what is behind, ( I had the stems of the mirrors bend down a while back when I had a darg bar) the chrome is still ok at the bend , I find bending the mirror stems to be the best position Vs other mirrors.

The Ducati bar has some holes in it, I recommend plugging them with silicon and filling the bar with dry fine sand to dampen vibration then plug 2inch deep with end caps that came with the bar, just force it inside after cutting its lip from both ends to accommodate bar ends.

I cut 1.25 of an inch from both ends with a copper tube cutter.
the Ducati monster bar is for an 04 or older, the 05 swells to one inch in the center part.

I am currently talking with a guy that makes handle bars and will try to let him make one with my specifications

In my opinion this mod alone changes the bikes handling drastically and instantly!
Ibrahim

________
Honda NSR150. The purple font is pretty hard to see.

The Ducati bar dimensions are in 7/8 th :

1-Rise = 2.0 inch.
2-Width 29.5 & better if you cut 1.25 inch from both ends this makes it ~ 27 inch with bar ends
3-Center = 4 inch
4-Pull back = 3 inch
5-Down sweep 1 inch, makes a huge difference in Wrist position comfort!

I've had this bar on for ~ a week and all I can say is "HOW THE HELL WAS I USING A DRAG BAR?" I make U turns in tight spots effortlessly
and in high speeds on free way my hands exert a downward pressure that is very in control kinda feeling with much easier maneuvering . WOW X 100% Vs any bar I've used!

I used stock, wider than stock, narrow drag bar and motocross 1.5 rise bar.
The best one hands down in all riding situations is the Ducati bar.

The motocross was almost the same as the Ducati but had 6 inch center and was wide even when cut due to the wide angle rise you couldn't
move the clutch and brake masters any further in.

The key in all this is: If the bar is wider than a persons shoulder width it instantly reduces the ability to control the bike in turns!

I'll try to explain this with diagrams in a later post.
Ibrahim

________
List of Mazda transmissions history
Do you have the model # for the Ducati bars, or a way to source them? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back