Acewell speedo settings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misoguy

Reaction score
So I'm getting a new Acewell speedo set up on my 1998 V-max and just want to run the settings by you all for a sanity check. I had a mechanic install it so I assume all the wires are correct but since I didn't do it myself I don't know which all wires there are in there! :ummm:

Tach setting is based on a calculation of the number of signals (p) from the engine vs how many rotations (r). Options are 1r1p, 2r1p, 1r2p, 1r3p, 1r4p. V4 would be 2 signals per rotation, yes?

There's a temp warning setting. What's the stock temp warning temperature, and is that a good setting to use?

What's the ratio of rotations of the front wheel to rotations of the speedometer cable?

Thanks for any help. I feel like I should be able to find all this myself, but even if I did I wouldn't be sure I was right!

So I unhooked the speedo cable and figured this out for myself: The speedometer cable rotation ratio is 14:5, or 14 cable rotations per 5 spins of the wheel.

Well the Acewell only takes a whole number for pulses, so I used 3 and then multiplied the tire circumference by 15/14. (I think multiplication is correct, and not division?)

Haven't had it out to measure yet but will report again on how it seems to work.

I had an acewell speedo on an old FZR 600 street fighter. I honestly don't remember exactly how I set it up, but it was mostly trial and error. I think the install/calibration instructions on the model I had a math formula based off outside diameter of the wheel. I expoxied the pickup magnet by one of the rotor bolts and zip tied the pickup to the fork nearest. For my test calibration I rode several passes my one of the radar speed signs they place in school zones. Was it 100% scientific accurate? No, but it was as close as any OEM speedo. The tach on my model allowed for wrapping a coil of wire around one of the spark plug wires. I was surprised it worked as well as it did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back