Question about lubrication - Magnacharger crank adapter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see that people are active in trying to supercharge their VMax.

Is anyone attempting to build their own plenum, or having someone build one for them? I'm currently weighing up options of how best to go about it.

And on the off-chance - Does anyone actually have a plenum from the Magnacharger setup that they're willing to part with?

Cheers!

Progress on this is steady. I designed all the bits that I needed to get this blower to fit and I've had everything made locally where I couldn't do the work myself (most of it!).

I put all bits put together the other night to check it's all going to line up the other night and took a few photos. Please excuse the condition of the bike, cosmetic work will have to come later - I intended last winters project to be a strip, recondition and rebuild. But then the blower came along :eusa_dance:

2015-03-18 20.53.05.jpg
2015-03-18 21.02.34.jpg

I'll post again when I have anything better to show.

Does that blower work both directions? I noticed you put it upside down in order to put the pulley away from your left kneecap but make sure he can work in reverse... i would get a smaller belt and put the tensioner on the aft part and pushing the belt fwd away from your leg.

Thanks for your message Fred, It's always good to get a fresh point of view on these things after staring at it myself for too long.

You're right, the blower definitely needs to spin the correct way - which is why I've got to run it upside down, it's the only way I can get the Vmax to spin the rotors in the correct direction (unless I use a jackshaft through the frame).

I agree with what you're saying about the tensioner. I would prefer to have the belt tensioned on the slack side and get it wrapped around the driven pulley a bit more but I'm on a tight budget so I'm working with what I've got at the minute. If the tensioner proves to be a problem, I'll be building my own and it'll be tensioning the correct side!

Cheers,
Mike

Thats it. The magnacharger setup was poorly conceived as i think it would benefit more from a spring tensioner instead of the fixed pulley that doesn't account for bel stretching and vibrating

Well it runs!

Had a long build day yesterday with a mate welding the rest of the plenum together.

The flanges for the intake runners warped during welding so I think they're not sealing very well. Going to work on the solution to that next week.

As soon as the bike starts, the engine picks up instantly and tries to rev itself to death - do the leaky flanges sound the likely cause?

Attachments

• DSC01380.jpg
    DSC01380.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01381.jpg
    DSC01381.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01383.jpg
    DSC01383.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 43
Well it runs!

Had a long build day yesterday with a mate welding the rest of the plenum together.

The flanges for the intake runners warped during welding so I think they're not sealing very well. Going to work on the solution to that next week.

As soon as the bike starts, the engine picks up instantly and tries to rev itself to death - do the leaky flanges sound the likely cause?

A vacuum leak can make an engine rev up....so I would say yes.

When you weld these parts you should have a jig (if you check the thread on my signature below you will find a jig i made a couple years ago when i was planning on making my own intakes) or at least spot weld it and taking it slowly with the Tig for the heat to be concentrated and not allowed to mess things up.

Thanks, that jig is ingenious. I wish I'd seen that before. I'll remember that for the next plenum! I've got to stick with the one I've got for the time being.

Anyone able to source a Magnacharger kit, new or used these days?

Would really like to find a used one if they are out there. A new one prob costs more than what my bike is worth.

BTW, Sean, did you get the turbo you were developing sorted out?

Not yet. It's at the exhaust shop now and I get communication about once a month now (better then it used to be)

Latest posts

Back