Battery gone again...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tire_marc

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a newbee here but I have a reoccuring problem. Essentially I find that my VMax is eating batteries. I don't do a lot of miles on it and if I let it stand for more then a week the battery dies.

I have learned a few things to do and not do: I had a bike trickle charger which seemed to work ok while I had a garage. Recently I have had to park in the street and by accident I let the battery go flat. I then (stupidly) tried to jump it from a car and apparently I may well have buckled the plates because it won't hold a charge.

So, my options are 1) get a new battery and try to install it on the roadside. (I have been told changing a battery on a vmax is a b***tch, is it?) and if I do that is there a battery type that I can get that would be better than another?

2) get it recovered to a garage where it can be done properly - in which case is it worth changing something in the electrics once and for all to try to cut down on the discharging.

The bike is currently is kensington so 3) any suggestions on good local garage/recovery service would be appreciated.

Notes: Its an import so the lights are always on. it has a datol which I have been told would be a pain to try to take off.

Thanks very much for any help.

Marc

Marc, test your chargeing system using the following flow chart. There's a PDF link at the bottom of the page.
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

It's usually a connection problem between the stator and rect/regulator or the r/r to the battery.

Stock batteries suck....I recommend the Odyssey PC680. It's a gel battery and a charger is not needed.

Replacing battery is easy. Remove seat and then bracket above battery where rear ignition coils attach. Move the harness out of the way and then you should be able to easily pull the battery out of the battery box.

Not sure why, but when I click on it, it tells me my viewer cannot decrypt the document. Never had a problem with any other PDF's. Any ideas ? I just wanted to have a look and tuck it away if I ever seem to have battery problems. Maybe someone could post it as a jpeg, or maybe we could get Buster to make it a sticky.

Robbarrie said:
Not sure why, but when I click on it, it tells me my viewer cannot decrypt the document. Never had a problem with any other PDF's. Any ideas ? I just wanted to have a look and tuck it away if I ever seem to have battery problems. Maybe someone could post it as a jpeg, or maybe we could get Buster to make it a sticky.

Are you talking about the link in Mark's answer? It goes to a html page not a PDF.

My link goes to html site.....the pdf is at the bottom of the html.

Robbarrie said:
It is now a sticky. Let me know if you can download it from here. If not I'll post it as a picture.
The thread is here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=994

Last edited:
Changing the battery takes about 10 minutes and all you need is a phillips screw driver and a 10mm socket.

You also have to unplug several wires but they are all different so easy enough to put back together just keep track of them.

Can be done on the side of the road.

Back