86 Running like junk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That_Guy

Reaction score
85 Running like junk

Well my beloved but definitely abused in the past 85 is having some problems. To give everyone an idea of what I'm dealing with it looks like a blind person attacked the poor thing with sidecutters and an equally blind person tried putting the wires back together. Random wires T'd off to places and just twisted together, no solder, no crimp connectors, and in some places no electrical tape, just bare wires.

1 - the first thing I found strange was the bike would not only start with no choke when cold, but would actually die if you gave it any more than 1/4 choke. At the time there were no other problems so I didn't bother looking into it and was going to sort it out this winter.

2 - The first longer drive I took the bike on where I went from country roads to the city while fully warmed up I went to pull away from a light, gave it a shot of throttle and the bike instantly died. No slow sputter just instant dead. Fired right back up and I continued to drive home and it did it a few more times unless I slowly rolled on the throttle. Rcreated this tonight by letting the bike warm up in the garage and giving it a quick snap of the throttle. When it gets to that point the left side exhaust will let out pops while idling (Plugged idle jet/lean condition I'm thinking)

Now I've already checked my charging system and I'm getting 13.2 at 1000rpm and in the 14s at 3000 so I don't believe that's the problem. Started disassembling the carbs to do the shotgun tonight and my mixture screws are right wonky. 1 is totally seized and stripped before I even touched it and the others were anywhere from 5-8 full turns out...

Anyone have any opinions?

Your way to rich. And your carbs probably are in need of a cleaning and the A/F screw extracted. There are threads addressing that. The wiring sounds like you just need to properly connect everything in need. Several options including solder and shrink tubing are available. Crimp/shrink connectors? Posi-locks maybe? Be grateful it's all easily fixed, and no 2nd gear issues need attention.

Latest posts

Back