Ignition conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capymotiv

Reaction score
Short history. 88, igeatech, cop's, drilled exhaust.
Been battling an intermittent ignition drop on rear 2 cyl for some time now. Replace cdi with ignatech and have had it happen twice since. Purchased a used wiring harness last week to go through to install. Would there be any advantage to converting to single pick up other than availability? What should I upgrade on the harness now before i swap them out? Any other recommendations?

I'd do a quick check of the plug connection from the P.U. coils to the harness. And ohm out the coils while your at it. A single coil failure leaves you coasting to a stop. The 2 coil system can give you some limping along ability to maybe get out of the high speed lane. A place all of my breakdowns seem to occur. The good news is coils are long lasting and usually reliable.

I'm not sure if the 2 coil flywheel works with the single pick up. Even though the Ignatech unit can work with either. That would be a question for Sean.

Thanks for the input. I removed the coils and installed COP's from Jon Harris when this all started. Had it happen twice in 1 day after cop's and ignition module install. Bought a used harness to rebuild. Just want to make sure there are no other mods to harness I should know about before I install it.

Single pickup is a different flywheel. If you do a search on here Sean has previously listed everything that you need to make the conversion from 85-89 series 1 ignition to 1990 2007 Series II ignition. One of those things that Sean mentioned is to use the series 2 harness with the Series II ignition components. The replacement harness that you have, if it's for a series 1 ignition is not going to work with the Series II ignition components.

I know you were having this issue prior to the cops conversion, however I would still check the connectors on both ends of your cops. I also bought a set from Jon and I had two of the wires slip out of the connector. The crimps weren't really crimped very well.

I might check the plugs. Suspect the carb if this problem is with two ignition setups. Could be a stuck slide or something in the idle circuit.

Just some thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sure it is not the carbs. Loose spark to the 2 rear cylinders and loose the tach when it happened. Has not happened again for a while now.Been going through the extra harness to get it ready. Came across 2 cut wires buried in the loom. Not sure if they are the clutch switch (blk/wh-bl/wh) or the Kickstand switch (blk/yl-bl/yl. Clutch disc came in so gonna get out and start tearing it down this week hopefully. check pickups while I am in there. Will update.

Latest posts

Back