Electrical Charging/Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsy78

Reaction score
New guy here.

So I've been having the whole hot start normal issue. I decided to the fix and followed RaWarrior's Stickie on "How To".

I'm having this problem (Not sure if this was pre-existing before the mod):

Basic Info: It's an 89 with 28,308 miles. not sure what the previous owner has done to it but looks stock.

Brand new battery. 13 V across
Stator Wire Check - 1.8 ohm on every combination
Stator Wire to Batt Ground - Open Line

Stator Voltage
Disconected from R/R - 20VAC @ Idle, 48-50 VAC @ 3k RPM
Connected to R/R - 1.8 VAC @ any RPM

No other readings at the Batt at any RPM other than the Batt it self.

So...I know the ohm are out of parameters on the stator but it puts out power when not connected to the R/R. when is connected it all goes away..:bang head:

Any sugestions?

Do the MOSFET upgrade, it's a cheaper way than OEM. There is a lot of information here about the mod. I heartily recommend the SH775 Series type regulator, available online. Easy mod, and you'll probably only have to do it once.

Swapping a stator isn't a huge job, true, but if I was you, I'd be glad it's the regulator..

Oh no, here we go again!

Why guess at what the problem when if you want to get a first time fix do some proper diagnosis?

Everyone can give an opinion but without having the bike in front of them they can't say for sure that their suggestion is correct.

Your issue could be any of the above, a simple earthing issue or something else.

Do the diagnostics (see here), find what is causing the problem and fix it first time.

Rant ends.

Thanks guys. I did the diagnosis and it's the regulator. When i got "C" the numbers were all out wack.

I did order the regulator from a Gen2. Found them on eBay for $20 so bought 2 just in case :biglaugh:.

Thanks for all the help.

That regulator will not plug directly into your wiring harness. There is a lot of information on this forum bout the MOSFET modification. It's simple, but I'd advise reading up on the procedure.

Those cheap EBay regulators are a crapshoot. They've been known to fail and allow high voltage to get loose in the system, causing expensive smoke to come out of components. I've got a SH775 Series unit on both my bikes, but still run a voltmeter on each, just in case..

Latest posts

Back