LED Headlight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

912er

Reaction score
Just swapped the headlight out for LED’s. I chose the GENSSI 5 3/4 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight DOT 80 Watt, link below. This light got good reviews and in anticipation of having to fab up a way to mount it the flat back panel on the light held on with four screws looked like an opportunity.

I used 1 ¼” X 3/32” cold rolled steel which I mounted to the back of the light using the top two screws. Then I bent both sides right at 75 degrees and drilled four 6-32 holes in the stock bezel to position it.

It's plenty bright with a sharp cutoff on the low beam and the high beam is nuclear! :punk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GET94PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• LEDHeadlight01.jpg
    LEDHeadlight01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 470
  • LEDHeadlight02.jpg
    LEDHeadlight02.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 448
  • LEDHeadlight03.jpg
    LEDHeadlight03.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Led.jpg
    Led.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 405
It was tight but a definite fit in the stock bucket!:clapping:

Does it have the bleed over on the sides of the beam coming out if the headlight light a halogen or is it more of a precise pinpointed bean (think flood vs spotlight)

I like that it will fit in the bucket too.
I was contemplating going with the opti7 lamp replacement or something like this.

Hey Killjoy, I'll try to get out tonight and take some photos of the beams for you. On low it's pretty wide but the vertical cutoff is like it was cut with a knife.

For those interested, here are a couple shots of the LED beam, the first is low and the second is high. A lot of hills around my place and it was 105 today and still 90 at 10pm, so rather than search out the perfect place I took these with my phone coming up my driveway.

Attachments

• WP_20170802_21_15_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170802_21_15_27_Pro.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 289
  • WP_20170802_21_15_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170802_21_15_35_Pro.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 277
@912er
I'm a lurker coming out of the shadows. Hopefully there is still some interest in this thread because I just spent a few hours at the local custom parts shop and by your description we couldn't figure out what you had done to get that bulb to stay put in the bezel. and still have the light adjustable. You made it sound easy in your opening post. Care to share a little bit more info on how you did this upgrade? I'm trying to get away from the stock glass with all the flood light lines in it and improve the light. I travel the mountains at night a lot so I would like a better light than stock and I have tried installing just an LED bulb. I'm thinking your upgrade is the way to go.

@912er
I'm a lurker coming out of the shadows. Hopefully there is still some interest in this thread because I just spent a few hours at the local custom parts shop and by your description we couldn't figure out what you had done to get that bulb to stay put in the bezel. and still have the light adjustable. You made it sound easy in your opening post. Care to share a little bit more info on how you did this upgrade? I'm trying to get away from the stock glass with all the flood light lines in it and improve the light. I travel the mountains at night a lot so I would like a better light than stock and I have tried installing just an LED bulb. I'm thinking your upgrade is the way to go.

I also found out the hard way that there's no way to hold in the one I bought .
I went with a new bucket. It was deeper too so all the wires tucked in nicely.

Thanks for the reply 93max. Finally figured out how to find my the threads I've posted to.

Are you able to link to the bucket you bought? Our local custom shop that I do support quite often want my first born for a bucket with LED. Did you use the headlight you linked to earlier in the thread?

Thanks for the reply 93max. Finally figured out how to find my the threads I've posted to.

Are you able to link to the bucket you bought? Our local custom shop that I do support quite often want my first born for a bucket with LED. Did you use the headlight you linked to earlier in the thread?

Sure let me look for ya!

So, its plug and play, the wiring that is?

Just swapped the headlight out for LED’s. I chose the GENSSI 5 3/4 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight DOT 80 Watt, link below. This light got good reviews and in anticipation of having to fab up a way to mount it the flat back panel on the light held on with four screws looked like an opportunity.

I used 1 ¼” X 3/32” cold rolled steel which I mounted to the back of the light using the top two screws. Then I bent both sides right at 75 degrees and drilled four 6-32 holes in the stock bezel to position it.

It's plenty bright with a sharp cutoff on the low beam and the high beam is nuclear! :punk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GET94PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So many options now. No reason not to have lighting on par with the cage. Charging system output and fixing voltage drop do wonders for a Vmax. I'm no longer hesitant to cruise in the dark.

Can you post more pictures? or explain a little more

Thanks

Latest posts

Back