Broke down on the thruway (super size)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Had a break down on the thruway (90) with the company lowboy. Electronic fuel shut off solenoid went bad. Had to get towed. The lowboy is 66 ft long. I was real interested to see the wrecker and how they would tow this thing. It happened around 11 at night so I couldn't really get any pics. The wrecker that came was the one in the bottom right corner. Very impressive. He was around 120 ft long all together.
http://www.rusiniaks.com/photos.php?TLID=4&album=Towing & Emergency Services&AlbumID=1

Here's a little quiz. He got there around 11 pm. had to hook up, remove the driveshaft. towed it approx 25 miles, unhook. How much $$ do you think? He wouldn't unhook until he got paid. The superintendent had to use his own credit card because the company didn't have an account with them.

Should have called AAA with a + RV card!

The fact he wouldn't take it off until paid would lead me to believe it is north of 5k

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Probably at least 3k. I'm surprised they didn't have somebody come out and replace the solenoid?

Probably at least 3k. I'm surprised they didn't have somebody come out and replace the solenoid?

They originally sent out our company mechanic. We look it over for an hour. We figured it was a fuel problem, but he's a heavy equiptment mechanic, and wasn't up on old ford trucks. If it was a CAT or Komatsu, he would have had it fixed right up. The biggest problem was the time of night, and being on the NYS thruway. We had to get it off as quick as possible. I was with you guys on the price. I didn't think they would even start that rig for under a grand. After they dropped the truck and left, I asked the boss what it cost. I find it hard to believe myself, but this is what the guy who paid the bill told me. $500.00

Pretty good price IMO. We paid just a bit more than that for a similar rig to to winch a truck about 15 feet. It was a rush job but in the middle of the day, not night.

We had a 12x30 building weighing about 72K pounds loaded up on a double drop trailer. The road we were going up had 3 tight switchbacks on it. One set of tires dropped off the pavement and the trailer bottomed out on the asphalt and dug right in. Couldn't go forward or back.

Had the rig come out, winch the truck backwards, enough to get the wheels back on the road, and we were in business with enough time left in the day to grab it with the crane and set it in place.

That wasn't a cheap day for us.

Shit I've heard of honda civics getting dragged a mile down the road that cost more than that.

Probably the same company we used one time. Our helicopter engine made a bunch of metal. Had to take off blades and get a crane lifted on 18wheel semi.... it cost 800. That's easily a 4k job being that your flat bedding a helicopter lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back