Pick Up Coil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85 through 89 were analog and 90 and later are digital and will not interchange

That's what I was dreading. They don't appear to be very common (or cheap) and I won't know if that's what's causing me problems until I try another (working) one :bang head:. Me and my mates have 4 Maxes between us, but they all have newer models. :damn angry:

Am I right in assuming the TCI unit would have been different on the older models (which have two sets of pickup coils)?

If so, when did they change, and what would happen if I tried a newer type TCI in my 1985 model?

It won't work, or even connect I believe. Unless, you want to convert to CDI? Much easier and cheaper to get a known good TCI to try.There are now other options to the OEM part. A TCI will pop up on E-Bay once in a while. Some places also fix and update them.
Steve

Last edited:
If you need a pickup I have a number of good used ones on hand. In fact I have more then I need to stock so if anyone wants to pick up some spares for their early Vmax's i'd sell a pickup assembly for $100 shipped (they are $400 new).

Sean Morley

hi everyone!!
i recent owner of the grate vmax and i am in love badly.
suddenly i doesnt start any more. it broke my herat. jaa.
checking all the electronic and there is no spark.
i suspected of the cdi but aparently is all in order.
it leadme to the pick up coil. i have measured de orange y black wire and it shows nothing, infinit.
this is the failure?
Mi stator is already full of oil... it is normal o thats the origin of the problem?
i apriciate al the tips u can tell my.

It it doesn't show some reading at all then it's bad (common). You can try the super cheap pickup coils for Royal stars if you want to do some fab work to mount it, there are other Vmax options and I have used good ones.

Just to note the VMAX Factory Repair Manual is wrong on how to test the pickup coils on the older bikes. Drove me crazy looking for this thread. Book wants 110+/-10 ohms from ORANGE to all the other colors. This is incorrect! As someone stated earlier in this thread you must use the BLACK as common and check to all the others. Mark up your manual.

Just to note the VMAX Factory Repair Manual is wrong on how to test the pickup coils on the older bikes. Drove me crazy looking for this thread. Book wants 110+/-10 ohms from ORANGE to all the other colors. This is incorrect! As someone stated earlier in this thread you must use the BLACK as common and check to all the others. Mark up your manual.

The VMX 12N manual from 1984 on p. 7-29 shows this test that he's referring-to. This page is not corrected.

Attachments

• 85-89 pickup coil test-use Black not Orange.jpg
    85-89 pickup coil test-use Black not Orange.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
Just removed the relay and no change. Even checked the sidestand switch connection, and it is functioning as it should.

No spark at back two cylinders still. I do get one spark when killing the engine occasionally, but I'm assuming that is some kind of static discharging.

Hello, was there any resolution to this?

This is EXACTLY the issue I have.

"I have no spark on both rear cylinders. :bang head:

I have checked my coils on another max and the work fine (primary and secondary resistances also checked to be within the tolerances).

When I check resistance from the pickup coils (each termainal checked against the orange wire (as per Haynes manual) I get 123 ohm on one and 250 ohm on the others. "

"No spark at back two cylinders still. I do get one spark when killing the engine occasionally, but I'm assuming that is some kind of static discharging."

Spooky that is the same symptoms, wonder if it ever got resolved?

Latest posts

Back