Ebay woes......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
You really gotta be careful with ebay! I ordered a sprocket set with an o-ring chain for my sons 400ex quad, and when I got it in the mail it wasn't an o-ring chain but a cheap standard chain. I contacted the seller, who asked me to send close up pictures of the chain so he could confirm that it wasn't the right one. I sent the pics, and he has agreed to send the correct chain to me. It makes you wonder, how many times people have gotten something different than what they paid for, and had no idea! Just wondering if other people have had similar experiences?

Ebay really scares me. Checking the feedback on a seller is about the only way to give yourself security. I'm one of those people who likes to see the item I'm buying... Some people have mixed luck. I think CaptainKyle will agree, people at times post pictures that aren't representative of the current state of the selling item... He's the one person I know that does a lot of buying / selling on line...

Ebay has some good points when buying from them.....I bought a rebuilt tranny for my Dodge truck once, and when it arrived it was a junked out tranny in worse condition than mine. After making several phone calls to the tranny shop and telling him about the problem he promised to send another one, which never happened. I opened a disput against the seller, Ebay froze his Paypal account and would not let him list anything else until I was fully refunded money spent for item. That SOB was begging me to drop the dispute so he could get back into his Paypal account. I was refunded the full purchase amount plus shipping cost ( a little over $1200 bucks) It was a lengthy process and took almost 3 months for the dispute to be settled.

Ebay has some good points when buying from them.....I bought a rebuilt tranny for my Dodge truck once, and when it arrived it was a junked out tranny in worse condition than mine. After making several phone calls to the tranny shop and telling him about the problem he promised to send another one, which never happened. I opened a disput against the seller, Ebay froze his Paypal account and would not let him list anything else until I was fully refunded money spent for item. That SOB was begging me to drop the dispute so he could get back into his Paypal account. I was refunded the full purchase amount plus shipping cost ( a little over $1200 bucks) It was a lengthy process and took almost 3 months for the dispute to be settled.

He shafted you and got busted for it and you're s'posed to have sympathy and drop the dispute!! Probly gave you all sorts of promises about paying you right up, etc., eh?

At that point he's a liar and a cheater.....screw him!! Glad you got him!

In all fairness to Ebay , it's been and always will be buyer beware . You have to do your homework , read the sellers feedback and KNOW just what it is that you're buying .

I got shafted with my recent OE back-rest sale, I sacrificed a local sale because I was locked into ebay, then I had a non-payment issue for 10 days, then another week of opening a non-payment dispute before I could even make a second chance offer, that got turned down. So, I've lost well over 3wks because this chuckle head wouldn't pay for what he bought. Ugh.

On the flip-side, I have a OE backrest ready to ship if anybody is interested... ;)

Sounds like it's Seller Beware too....:bang head: Shouldn't you get paid before you ship????:confused2::ummm: I don't know a lot about Ebay...

Hey Bob, you just gotta really watch, I've bought quite a few things on eBay that once I got the item I've looked at it and said " nope this isn't worthy of my bike" and I just kind of either stockpile it or give it away. But there are some things I've gotten that I wouldn't have found anywhere else. So really, just be careful, it's alot of times more of a hassle to return than it's worth so I just chalk it up to win some lose some. But I have gotten some really nice stuff and some real pieces of shit. Oh yea, not to change subjects, but are you going to thunder in the valley in June? If you are let me know. Thanks, Ed

Sounds like it's Seller Beware too....:bang head: Shouldn't you get paid before you ship????:confused2::ummm: I don't know a lot about Ebay...

Maybe my post was confusing, I didn't ship it out... just wasted 3-4 weeks of screwing around before I was free of the auction to either re-list or sell it outright.

I ran across this guy that was selling a "Target Exclusive" set of cars from the cars movie. Trouble was he took the cars out of the box and threw in a bunch of Lightning McQueen doubles he must've had laying around. I sent him a message calling him on it, and told him if he didn't correct the ad then I was reporting him. He sent me a message playing dumb, but I told him he was a scammer and trying to scam little kids at that and that he should be ashamed of himself, so I reported him. He messages me, practically begging me to pull the report, but he changed his listing.

Every once in awhile I will see someone trying some kind of scam, and I call them on it. If nothing else, it makes for hilarious emails when they try to defend themselves.

Last edited:
On the flip-side, I have a OE backrest ready to ship if anybody is interested... ;)

Make sure it's in the classifieds section here...the OE backrests and flyscreens are hot commodities....shouldn't have much trouble getting rid of it.

With ebay....it's feedback feedback feedback. If someone has less than 98% positive, steer clear. Unless it's a totally one-off item you absolutely can't get anywhere else, chances are there's another seller with the same item who is more reliable. And just don't go by the number...open up the page and skim through the comments for the past few weeks. More than once a seller may have a high feedback number and good percentage (98-99%), but reading the comments reveals that just recently they're started getting lots of neutral or neg's...so the business started folding, or there's someone new doing the ebay who doesn't have a clue, or something like that. Often, people leave + ratings, but include notes like "item OK, but really slow shipping", so if getting it fast is an issue, again steer clear. When I bought my ZX14 r/r off ebay, the seller didn't list the shipping service "standard shipping", charged like $25 to mail a small, light item, and ended up shipping it "fedex smart post" aka super snail mail. Took nearly 3 weeks for it to travel literally about 100 miles....

In ebay's push to make it more "accessible" for casual internet shoppers, the buyer protection programs make it a lot easier to hold flake sellers accountable, and probably 90% of the time disputes favor the buyer. Unfortunately, scammers take advantage of that with legitimate sellers, claiming they didn't get the item, intentionally breaking it, then claiming it arrived like that, ect.

Ebay also expects sellers to leave + feedback for buyers the instant they receive payment. (Sellers can't leave neutral or neg...positive or none). More than once I've left some generic + comment for a buyer, then they try pulling some bullshit telling me the item was broken or damaged, or demanding a refund for shipping because they claim it arrived late or something.

Make sure it's in the classifieds section here...the OE backrests and flyscreens are hot commodities....shouldn't have much trouble getting rid of it.

I've had in on here for about 6 weeks before I went to e-bay, I got a few minor nibbles but nothing substantial here. On a 5 day e-bay auction I had it sold for $425 shipped - they have all been getting up into the $400 range lately on e-bay, I have a private sale I'm still trying to work out, but if that doesn't come through soon, its going back up. I'd rather sell it outright to a forum member, save them what the e-bay fee's end up costing me, but nobody has been interested.

ON a good note I just receiveed my 85 side cover I got off Ebay a few dyas ago sold them for 49.99 buy it now & there in great shape.
Did you see the guy from Rochester NY selling the '85 side cover pair for $175? If you need the embossed, who thinks it's worth it? Is the market there for a totally-original '85? I think only if it has extremely low mi. & original tires, complete w/Hamamatsu air fossils in them. Like the bicycle frame H-D's from 1908 w/rotted tires...same o.e.m. equipment idea.

I bought, or should I say, tried to buy, a vintage child's riding toy, an English train, for very little $. The seller refused to ship it & eBay, after I contacted them, did nothing to help the deal be executed. I told them that if the seller paid me what I bid for it as a penalty for refusing to send it, I would accept that. Nothing happened. That was awhile ago, I still have all the transaction information.

Did you see the guy from Rochester NY selling the '85 side cover pair for $175? If you need the embossed, who thinks it's worth it? Is the market there for a totally-original '85? I think only if it has extremely low mi. & original tires, complete w/Hamamatsu air fossils in them. Like the bicycle frame H-D's from 1908 w/rotted tires...same o.e.m. equipment idea.
I would not want to pay that much for them. I do want the originals on mine. I like them better I am glad I got lucky & found some cheap.

A few years back I bought a Kaw head for my dragbike. It was listed as a GPz head, but when I opened the box it was the plain ol' Z1 model.

He swore up and down he sent the GPz head, eventually I got my money back.

acammer: Late getting back to this as usual. I understand now. The guy who won the bid and didn't pay you still sucks big time.... Can't believe no one here has snagged the great deal on your back rest... I have one that I bought from Kyle and one on the 89 that I made or I would buy it...

Dave

acammer: Late getting back to this as usual. I understand now. The guy who won the bid and didn't pay you still sucks big time.... Can't believe no one here has snagged the great deal on your back rest... I have one that I bought from Kyle and one on the 89 that I made or I would buy it...

Dave

It'll be sold soon enough one way or the other, the demand is clearly pretty high. Looks like it'll be going back to ebay for another chance.

Latest posts

Back