Had a nasty scare today!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful day for a ride so I headed out #66 on the 1260. Going about 60 or so, broke over a rise and...shit!...there's a van stopped in my lane with a left signal on! I jump on the brakes, front & back cause I was gonna need all the braking power I got....but I'm not stopping!! WTF!

I let off and get back on 'em, same thing, slowing some but nowhere near the braking I would expect from the amount of pressure I was applying. Then I hear a high pitched squeal and the ass end starts to come out from under me....and it hit me....I was sliding!

Well, I reduced the pressure on the rear brake lever and obviously managed to get her whoa'd up in time...I wasn't applying any more lever pressure then normal but the rear would lock up so easily it was scary!!

The bike came with an Avon Venom-X on the rear, soon's I get done typing this I'm gonna order a nice safe pair of Metz ME880's....the Avon goes to the dump! :punk:

He's typing , that's a good sign. I had the same issue with Avon and Shiko locking up the rear and attempting to beat the front end through an intersection. Quote from Poes " The Raven " , Nevermore .

An old racer's trick about keeping the rear brake from locking is to remove about 1/4-1/3 of the material w/a file or grinder, assuming you have a decent tire, of-course. And a long-wheelbase like is much less-likely to slide, compared to a short-wheelbase sportbike, because of the (lack-of) weight transfer forward. That's why a single-opposed piston rear brake is plenty for our bikes. My FZR1000 locks the rear wheel easily, and I have premium sportbike rubber.

Harleys need a good rear brake, because most Harley riders only use that anyway, which is why they have accidents, using the rear brake instead of the front & rear makes your stopping-distance increase up-to 3X!

An old racer's trick about keeping the rear brake from locking is to remove about 1/4-1/3 of the material w/a file or grinder, assuming you have a decent tire, of-course. And a long-wheelbase like is much less-likely to slide, compared to a short-wheelbase sportbike, because of the (lack-of) weight transfer forward. That's why a single-opposed piston rear brake is plenty for our bikes. My FZR1000 locks the rear wheel easily, and I have premium sportbike rubber.

Harleys need a good rear brake, because most Harley riders only use that anyway, which is why they have accidents, using the rear brake instead of the front & rear makes your stopping-distance increase up-to 3X!

Remove from what F/M....the brake pads? That would make sense, but the tire has to have some stopping power, this AVON had almost none. I did see tiny weather cracks in the sidewall, maybe it's hardening up, :confused2:....but it's finish gonna hardening up in the dump!

Yeah like the bird says...."Never-friggin-more"!! :punk:

Glad your safe Danny. The Avon is only good or should I say acceptable when warm or hot. Unless you got one eight years old or something. Can't argue with you picking an 880 instead.
By the way, did you say to yourself, " I'm too old for this shit!",?

Glad your safe Danny. The Avon is only good or should I say acceptable when warm or hot. Unless you got one eight years old or something. Can't argue with you picking an 880 instead.
By the way, did you say to yourself, " I'm too old for this shit!",?

:rofl_200: Not really out loud Patrick but it did occur to me that if I hit the road I probly wouldn't bounce fer shit!! :stretche: :bang head:

Glad to hear you Kept it rubber side down! ALL those years of expierence pay off.

Glad to hear you Kept it rubber side down! ALL those years of expierence pay off.

Dumb Irish luck Rick....now, if I could handle a VMax like you I'd a snapped it around sideways, slid by them on the shoulder giving them the double bird...:th_flipthebird:...straightened it back up and been on my way!! :rofl_200:

Dumb Irish luck Rick....now, if I could handle a VMax like you I'd a snapped it around sideways, slid by them on the shoulder giving them the double bird...:th_flipthebird:...straightened it back up and been on my way!! :rofl_200:

:rofl_200: Glad your ok bud............

Whew! Glad your ok Brother D! No need in anyone's life for those type moments, that's for sure!
I used cut angled grooves in my dirt bike brake pads so they would work better in the mud and getting doused in a river crossing.
From what FM posted I'm guessing that cut part of the pad material completely off down to the backing plate?

Hey dude sure glad you had the room to figure it out....

And confirms what I thought about the a ons on v2 they do slid slip easy under power or turns, really don't like the feel. I do have a new me880 I got for decent price that will be going on soon.....

So what's your thought about tandem burnouts to finish off the avons
Hahahah ah
I know the answer,it was rhetorical lol

Latest posts

Back