Had a nasty scare today!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad your OK!!Were too old to bounce.Just damn glad you are here Talking about it.Did it happen on the 1260?Glad you are getting better tires,Take care glad youre OK.Everything is ok.

Whew! Glad your ok Brother D! No need in anyone's life for those type moments, that's for sure!
I used cut angled grooves in my dirt bike brake pads so they would work better in the mud and getting doused in a river crossing.
From what FM posted I'm guessing that cut part of the pad material completely off down to the backing plate?

Don't think I have too much braking power BB....just not enough traction at the road...that's gonna change soon! :punk:

Hey dude sure glad you had the room to figure it out....

And confirms what I thought about the a ons on v2 they do slid slip easy under power or turns, really don't like the feel. I do have a new me880 I got for decent price that will be going on soon.....

So what's your thought about tandem burnouts to finish off the avons
Hahahah ah
I know the answer,it was rhetorical lol

Well....maybe not a big COPRUNNER type burnout tho....OK? :rofl_200:

I hate that tire to lock's up easy . I,m with you it's like running a hard slick .
Glad your ok and safe .
Bet they have one heck of a flat spot :ranting:

Haha, that might explain why I lumped along for the next 20 miles or so....ey!! :biglaugh:

Glad your OK!!Were too old to bounce.Just damn glad you are here Talking about it.Did it happen on the 1260?Glad you are getting better tires,Take care glad youre OK.Everything is ok.

Yeah Terry, the 1260....be a real shame to rumple that one all up, ey? It's all good tho. :thumbs up:

Wow that is scary man!!!!!!!! Glad everything turned out the way it should. PS jealous mines in pieces and won't be ready for another 3 weeks probably :(

Don't think I have too much braking power BB....just not enough traction at the road...that's gonna change soon! :punk:
Oh I agree BD, I was responding to FM's post, trying to understand what he posted. I have heard both sides of this story proclaiming great wet or dry grip and reports like yours. I think I would stay away from these tires were I to build another Vmax with my spare motor. I bet you'll be glad to get some grippers on there again, especially with the 1260's go power!

Don't throw the rear tire away... Send it to Vmax Mike. He would think he died and went to heven burning that tire into blue smoke! I can see it now... a 300 ft rolling burnout in 3rd gear!

--Craig

Given that situation, panic stop coming over a rise, I doubt whether any brand of rear tire would have had much grip, due to the weight transfer off the rear onto the front. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tire itself. Conditions were such that a rear lockup was almost unavoidable without some serious finesse. Sounds to me like you did a commendable job of containing it.

Defo happy to hear you managed to grind to a halt Dan-o!! And while scary, it's always kinda exciting to get the adrenaline pumping, innit?

I have to agree with the previous message tho - upon really hard breaking your fronts are doing 70-80% of the work, the rear will be so light that hardly any breaking power will lock it up, with any tire. The only difference is if you're riding two-up and with luggage, then rear braking will help a lot.

Also it's when you really need to stop on a dime that you realize just how much distance speed means! No matter how good your brakes, the tire grip does not change - I have lost the front (!) in the past when attempting to brake too hard..

Don't throw the rear tire away... Send it to Vmax Mike. He would think he died and went to heven burning that tire into blue smoke! I can see it now... a 300 ft rolling burnout in 3rd gear!

--Craig

He's welcome to it if he wants it! Just gonna need a video! :clapping:

Given that situation, panic stop coming over a rise, I doubt whether any brand of rear tire would have had much grip, due to the weight transfer off the rear onto the front. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tire itself. Conditions were such that a rear lockup was almost unavoidable without some serious finesse. Sounds to me like you did a commendable job of containing it.

I considered all that in the next few miles and did some 'road testing' when there was no traffic in sight. The tire definitely locks up easier than it should, with nowhere near the stopping power of my '96 (Memax) which has new RWL Qualifiers on it.

Bottom line is I've totally lost confidence in the Avon and will always feel like I'm on the edge of disaster riding on it, it's gotta go! Only question now is should I get RWL Qualifiers (which I really like on the other bike) or Metz 880's.....:ummm:

Defo happy to hear you managed to grind to a halt Dan-o!! And while scary, it's always kinda exciting to get the adrenaline pumping, innit?

I have to agree with the previous message tho - upon really hard breaking your fronts are doing 70-80% of the work, the rear will be so light that hardly any breaking power will lock it up, with any tire. The only difference is if you're riding two-up and with luggage, then rear braking will help a lot.

Also it's when you really need to stop on a dime that you realize just how much distance speed means! No matter how good your brakes, the tire grip does not change - I have lost the front (!) in the past when attempting to brake too hard..

Well G, I've never been one to shy away from a little rush (drives my wife insane!) so, yes, it is exciting....especially so when there was no pain involved!! (Like when I rolled the tractor over last fall...that was exciting too....but hurt like a sonofabitch!! still does, actually) :bang head:

Did you check the tractor tires Dan-o.......they might be same manufacture lol,maybe you didn't learn the lesson there and it was for warning you .............

All jokes aside,ya shoulders knees etc when they get messed its for the long run.......my knee still messed from one tractor incedence and one icy road.......pain won't go away grrrrrrr

My 2cents, you won't go wrong with either choice of tire......i really like the 170 me880

Did you check the tractor tires Dan-o.......they might be same manufacture lol,maybe you didn't learn the lesson there and it was for warning you .............

All jokes aside,ya shoulders knees etc when they get messed its for the long run.......my knee still messed from one tractor incedence and one icy road.......pain won't go away grrrrrrr

My 2cents, you won't go wrong with either choice of tire......i really like the 170 me880

Can't lay the tractor deal off on the tires Rov....that one is on me completely!! One of those side hill weight transfer things!!

Yeah, large tears in both rotator cuffs that can't be repaired, gonna haunt me from here on out! :bang head:

I think the Metz is probly the safer tire by a small margain, but the Dunlop's work very well on the other bike too......:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Ya side hillling should be left to mountain sleds with high hp numbers man not nos powered kubotas......

Also 1260 small margin more power lol

Danny glad you are ok. Sounds scary thank god you are a seasoned rider and didn't panic. I have the me880 and I've been happy so far, I haven't had to grab my brakes that hard though. Glad your ok brother

Glad your ok bud, also glad you didn't have to ditch it cause that's never fun.. Avons do kinda blow but just like everyone says the rear will lock up on anything if you get after it too hard. Just remember, the harder you on the front the easier it is to lock the rear... Glad your safe bud!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Danny glad you are ok. Sounds scary thank god you are a seasoned rider and didn't panic. I have the me880 and I've been happy so far, I haven't had to grab my brakes that hard though. Glad your ok brother

Thanks Mark! :worthy:

Kinda wish I'd gone back and checked out 'the scene'....seemed like it skidded a long ways...altho it would be a shame to pull off a deal like that, then get squashed in the road pacing off the skid marks....eh? :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Glad your ok bud, also glad you didn't have to ditch it cause that's never fun.. Avons do kinda blow but just like everyone says the rear will lock up on anything if you get after it too hard. Just remember, the harder you on the front the easier it is to lock the rear... Glad your safe bud!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Scott! :punk:

It might give you a little satisfaction / payback to cook that rear shoe yourself , and film it.

That's on the table right now Rollie!! :rofl_200:

Retrostude posted this yesterday....in the third photo, there is a mark on the sidewall of the rear tire, like an inverted 'V'...right behind the caliper...my tire has the same mark! Thought it was a gouge out of the rubber but it really looks like it was cast right in the tire....weird! :confused2:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/3743776622.html

Back