Yall's thoughts on this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well he bought this bike brand new...I believe in 85...so I can understand the sentimental value.....but DAMN!!!!! thats high....well atleast me me that is.

Well he is at work with me...so it will be 2 weeks before he is home to pick up the bike...They had the bike for a week before he came to work...so all total...it will be 3 weeks.

Hope it works out for him...when you think about it, if this is the first big dollar maintenance item he's had over the last 28 years....it isn't that bad.

Does it have a lot of miles on it, or very low miles?

i'd sure ask for a rundown of which parts were replaced. i bet they're charging their dealer prices for parts too, probably 1.5x-2x what we pay for at ronayers or the like.

I'm gonna ask if he will show me the invoice...and see what exactly the breakdown is for the cost.

I'm gonna ask if he will show me the invoice...and see what exactly the breakdown is for the cost.

i sure as fuck wouldn't leave the shop without one. even ask for the old parts (altho if wasn't asked for ahead of time that'd be tough).

stand up people (looking at you danny) send the old parts back to you.

I had wondered about that...but have no experience with the V-65 carbs.
The best V65 carb rebuilder in the country is Billy Carr in Canton, TX......he's probably done two dozen sets for me over the years, never more than 200 bucks total, come back better than new looking!

The best V65 carb rebuilder in the country is Billy Carr in Canton, TX......he's probably done two dozen sets for me over the years, never more than 200 bucks total, come back better than new looking!

I need to remember that...I pass by there every 2 weeks...

A buddy of mine is a 20+ year Honda mechanic. He tells me they're a real pain in the ass to get at in the bike. I would imagine the cost is so high from the labor to get them out and back in the bike :confused2:. Probably pretty simple once they're out.

i sure as fuck wouldn't leave the shop without one. even ask for the old parts (altho if wasn't asked for ahead of time that'd be tough).

stand up people (looking at you danny) send the old parts back to you.

Most states have some-sort of requirement that you be provided the option to have the replaced parts returned to you. The repair order you sign for the work probably has one section addressing this, and they say, "sign here," and that's the waiver of that right! You always have to read everything before signing. Another one will probably be a waiving of your right to sue for shoddy work, and require that you submit to some form of arbitration instead.

One of my acquaintances at a Yamaha/Kawi shop in the '70's said the factory rep would warranty the same Kawi triple crankshaft, over-and-over, because the shop would tell him they replaced it, and he'd ask, "show me the crank," and they would produce it, once-again, he never marked it, or took it, so they just kept it around. Ethical? Certainly-not!

The first generation Genesis (5-valve) FZR 750/1000's developed a problem w/the steering head bearings if they got loose, the aluminum would deform from the hammering & wheelies & rough landings, elongate, and there went the handling! The factory warranteed the frames, but they required the shop to sawzall the steering head off the bike, w/the VIN attached, to get credit for the warranty, and to prove the frame was destroyed.

Hope his woes are fixed w/the Magna/Sabre when he gets it back.

A buddy of mine is a 20+ year Honda mechanic. He tells me they're a real pain in the ass to get at in the bike. I would imagine the cost is so high from the labor to get them out and back in the bike :confused2:. Probably pretty simple once they're out.

I seem to remember that being the case too, only had mine off once I think....Tha gas tank is more work, and the "angle of insertion" for the carbs was kinda screwy....since they're racked together but the bodies aren't all horizontal., the throats are at angles to each other....

I also seem to remember that once "right" I didn't have to continually fuck with them like the Vmax, I'll give the V65 credit for that at least.....or else I was too dumb back then to notice a shitty running bike...

Latest posts

Back