Tool Kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
I ride 70 miles a day, round trip to work and I work 2nd shift. Well last night on my way home at midnight I realized that I have zero tools with me, and how bad it would suck to be stranded. Even with tools if she goes down I'll still probably have to hide it somewhere and come back for it with a trailer :ummm:

Is there any must have tools that I should carry?

Have you checked to see if you have the Vmax toolkit? Its under the passenger seat. If you dont, I would say get one from ebay, Sean, or captain Kyle. Ive been told that everything that you need as far as wrenches and screw drivers are in there.

Now one thing extra that I do carry with me, is a small pair of dykes, crimpers, and electrical tape, and pliers.

I made a tool kit specially for the Vmax, sized to fit under the passenger seat. Has more tools than the OEM kit. Really suggest having it, I have it for sale.

Picture here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29113

On a more cautious note, everyone should consider having a backpack that includes 1) plug kit, 2) small plug in air compressor, 3) small plug in or battery powered light, 4) trickle charger conversion piece. This piece has 2 plugs for into trickle charger, other end for the single big male end like cigarette lighter plug in, use it to power air compressor and light, 5) air gauge, towel, plastic bottle filled with soapy water. This is what you need to plug a flat, air it up, all at night, and wash and dry your hands!

It doesn't have a tool kit with it =/ I'll look into a kit online, but till I get one I better throw some tools under the seat just in case.

The ideal situation would be if you could find room under your seat, or sidecover, to fit one of these:

Snap on tool truck.jpg :biglaugh:

I just have the OEM tool pack Momma Yamaha sent with my 85 when it was new. Knock on wood, I have yet to ever need it along the roadside.

My tool kit at the moment consists of a mobile phone and a friend with a ute.I should really carry something more than my trusty Ganzo multitool which lives on my belt.The last time I broke down was 1 kilometer and 2 hills away from home.Pushed it back to my place with some assistance from a passing jogger.Vmax is not a light beast to move around when not under it's own steam.I think I will put a Tupperware box under the seat with enough gear to hopefully get me going again.Cheers Kevman.

With the vmax you can pretty much take the whole bike apart with a 10/12mm wrench, 4/5mm allen keys, and a philips screwdriver.

Aside from that I'd suggest carrying a half dozen zip ties (not the ones from harbor freight, they're terrible), a roll of electrical tape (the good 3M kind), and a Leatherman or some kind of multi-tool. If it's serious enough that it can't be fixed with those, I'm not doing it on the side of the road.

With the vmax you can pretty much take the whole bike apart with a 10/12mm wrench, 4/5mm allen keys, and a philips screwdriver.

That was actually what I was looking for. Now that I have actually done some wrenching on it, your totally right. thanks

Aside from that I'd suggest carrying a half dozen zip ties (not the ones from harbor freight, they're terrible), a roll of electrical tape (the good 3M kind), and a Leatherman or some kind of multi-tool. If it's serious enough that it can't be fixed with those, I'm not doing it on the side of the road.

i'd agree with the addition of the 27mm wrench from the oem kit or some sort of replacement. just incase you gotta get the rear wheel off or similar.

Found this thread when searching for what the oem tool kit was supposed to have. Can someone say if my set is complete?
92d780da0e63fccac5b7934482274f74.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I use the plug wrench from the kit all the time. And carry a short piece of 1/2" hose to thread plugs in without cross threading them. The OEM kit can do a lot. Mine includes a spare key and $40, a couple of Allen wrenches and mini flashlight. In a small leather pouch I carry a small compressor and plug kit. That is something almost everyone will need someday. CO 2 cartrage kits are smaller, but I prefer the compressor with a cigarette lighter plug. That gave me reason to also put the 12 volt plug receptacle in. It's good to have for charging a cell phone and more.

I use the plug wrench from the kit all the time. And carry a short piece of 1/2" hose to thread plugs in without cross threading them. The OEM kit can do a lot. Mine includes a spare key and $40, a couple of Allen wrenches and mini flashlight. In a small leather pouch I carry a small compressor and plug kit. That is something almost everyone will need someday. CO 2 cartrage kits are smaller, but I prefer the compressor with a cigarette lighter plug. That gave me reason to also put the 12 volt plug receptacle in. It's good to have for charging a cell phone and more.
Is the pic I attached a full kit? Or am I missing anything from what came with it brand new?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Get one of these. It can replace or augment most all your wrenches and the pliers in the tool kit:

Knipex-Mini-Pliers-Wrench-Hand-Scale.jpg

5" Knipex Pliers Wrench (86 03 125)

I'd also recommend a Stop-n-Go tire plugger kit. Nothing kills a ride like picking up a nail and coming outside the lunch stop to find the (usually rear) tire flat. It uses special mushroom-shaped plugs that are pressed into the tire with a special tool. I've used them on sportbike and cruiser tires, deep into triple digits and they've held up for thousands of miles with zero air loss. I know opinions on repairing MC tires vary, but these are far more effective/safe than using the ordinary tar cords or relying on Slime or some other goop.

Get the "pocket" version, with the CO2 inflator. Fixing the hole in the tire does't help much if you can't blow it back up again.

The first thing I do when I buy a new or used motorcycle is to take the Tool Kit out of the bike and leave it in my toolbox in my garage !

I am Superstitious and consider it BAD LUCK to carry a tool kit !

NO JOKE

Latest posts

Back