Nascar or Open wheel? Which do you watch/like?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
+1. It's just like NASCAR. They work so hard to make the cars the same that it makes the entire sport BORING! What do the car companies learn from NASCAR? JACK SHIT! Honda/Toyota take what they learn from Indy car and apply it in the regular cars a few years down the road. Okay, I'm done.

Re: New Guy With His V-ROD

+1. It's just like NASCAR. They work so hard to make the cars the same that it makes the entire sport BORING! What do the car companies learn from NASCAR? JACK SHIT! Honda/Toyota take what they learn from Indy car and apply it in the regular cars a few years down the road. Okay, I'm done.

Yep! I HATE Nascar too... :whistlin: Open wheels all the way!:thumbs up:

:biglaugh:

Toyota had to develop a special block to run in Nascar because rules permit only pushrod, cam in the block, rocker arm engines, Which they've never made, being a little more technologically advanced than that.

On the other hand, I used to kinda feel the same way about watching Nascar, and still won't on TV.

But;

I went to Ft. Worth races last year at the invite of a friend and it was fucking awesome! They may all be running the same body/chassis now and under the same rules but "set-up" is up to the team and varies considerably.

Until you''ve seen 35-40 cars running around a track at 200 mph up close and personal you haven't seen nascar, and the true racing, strategy and what goes on on the track is incredible once you actually WATCH the race and start paying attention to what's REALLY going on out there.

The wrecks are fun too:biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

Toyota had to develop a special block to run in Nascar because rules permit only pushrod, cam in the block, rocker arm engines, Which they've never made, being a little more technologically advanced than that.

On the other hand, I used to kinda feel the same way about watching Nascar, and still won't on TV.

But;

I went to Ft. Worth races last year at the invite of a friend and it was fucking awesome! They may all be running the same body/chassis now and under the same rules but "set-up" is up to the team and varies considerably.

Until you''ve seen 35-40 cars running around a track at 200 mph up close and personal you haven't seen nascar, and the true racing, strategy and what goes on on the track is incredible once you actually WATCH the race and start paying attention to what's REALLY going on out there.

The wrecks are fun too:biglaugh:

Formula 1 is the only place now where the team that builds the fastest car gets to win all the races.To me that's what racing should be about.The other teams then can play catch up while they are losing all the races.

Nascar is becoming so commercialized. It's all about the money and losing what Nascar is really about and how it started?
Nascar basically started in a small little town of GA. It was moonshine runners bootleggers etc. that would compete and say who had the fastest car / best driver. So they would make a track and race. Than it was decided to hold it in Daytona where all of could meet and race on the hardpacked sandy beaches.
I am sure it was a real party back than drinking moonshine, smoking herb and having good ol fashion racing fun and after the race I am sure there would be fights for cheating, or just out of being jelous.
Nascar was pretty exciting to watch up to about the early 90's, there were bumping, spinnign cars out into the wall, fights on the track, helmet throwing etc. Why do people goto hockey games? To see a fight. Why do people watch boxing? To see blood and a knock out? Why do people rubber neck at a traffic accident? To see the damage.
Its our nature.
Now a days Nascar has turned into a pansy sport. restrictor plates to keep them from going to fast, safety equipment to full extremes, no more aggressive driving is allowed, proper speech during an after race interview, no cursing (Tony Stewart being fined 50,000 for saying bullshit on tv) Racing in Mexico? WTF !!
If you noticed how could you not many commercials every 7 mins and atleast one commercial has to have african americans involved or they will feel they are discriminated against.
I could go on and on basically today nascar sucks! They have taken away what Nascar was based on to just make more money....
You cant say bullshit on TV, but our children are allowed to watch southpark where they say God Damn, Bitch, Ass etc and sitcoms with 3 gay guys living together, What has happened to this country??

Now a days Nascar has turned into a pansy sport.

Said with a heavy West Texas drawl;

"You like them open wheel pillow biting cock chuggers from Europe and then call Nascar a Pansy sport":confused2:

I agree that Nascar has a fan base that's just too easy of a Target to not make fun of.

The era you were talking about the cars were running 180-185, now there around 195-205, restrictor plates, which aren't used on all tracks, just the ones that can't handle super high speeds, were put into place for the simple reason of physics, you can't run at 220 miles on these tracks.
I consider the safety stuff a good thing, and if you don't like technological improvements how the hell can you like open wheel?; those things damn near have more technology and electronics than an F-16

I'm not a particular fan of either sport, but do find them a hell of a lot more entertaining than watching drag racing unless it's a once a year visit to the Nationals by my home.

I'm just incapable of not admiring anything that has as much speed, power, and skill involved as all motor sports.

Rusty

Open wheel for me because of the fact that they turn both left and right. I have been to Nascar and I was impressed with the speed (Atlanta Speedway) and the wrecks were fun. But it got boring after a couple hundred laps so we left 25 laps before it ended to beat the traffic.
I have been to a dozen or more races at Road Atlanta (bike and cars) and like the road courses much more. There is nothing like seeing a guy being passed under braking on the ragged edge of control and pulling it off! I have followed Formula 1 since the late 80's and I think they are penultimate of racing. Like most forms of open wheel racing, they race if it's raining or not. I think Nascar fails it's fans by not following that aspect of the open wheel racing.
That being said I think that the technical advances in aerodynamics, suspension, and engine performance has made Formula 1 a little less of the "spend whatever you want/ build whatever you want" ultimate racing. They are still the fastest, quickest, and best stopping racing car there is. Look up Jeff Gordon's test drive of a formula 1 car a couple years back, what impressed him the most was the braking. His first use of the brakes left him several car lengths short of the turn in for the first few corners.
I'll watch most forms of racing but oval racing is too much sameness and it gets boring. The road course style of racing has so much more going for it IMO.

I drag race cars, it carries over for me to watch drag racing.

As far as the question at hand? WOO Racing. 800+ HP in a 1600lb open wheeled Sprint with no headsets, no electronics, just a crazy assed machine with too much HP and small tracks with too many cars. That's racing IMO.

My favorite racing is WRC. However, The Nascar Channel, i.e. Speed, no longer carries the WRC as it was obviously too sophisticated, with all of those funny accents, "toy cars" and the such, for the Nascar and Unique Whips crowd.

Fuckers.

When Speed was Speedvision it ruled! All kinds of great motorsports. The wildest was those jet boats, that shit was crazy.

Mike

My favorite racing is WRC. However, The Nascar Channel, i.e. Speed, no longer carries the WRC as it was obviously too sophisticated, with all of those funny accents, "toy cars" and the such, for the Nascar and Unique Whips crowd.

Fuckers.

When Speed was Speedvision it ruled! All kinds of great motorsports. The wildest was those jet boats, that shit was crazy.

Mike

THE SPRINT BOATS!!!!! Yeah those things were SICK!

I'm so sick of NASCAR I can't begin to go into it. Mainly because it's EVERYWHERE you friggin' turn in the motorsports world. Props to the marketing people who are turning money down just 'cause they can to make more somewhere else!

I'm more of a NASCAR fan, Jr. got robbed last night :bang head:, but I'll watch anything.

Latest posts

Back